23 replies to this topic

#1 RileyFletcher_01

RileyFletcher_01

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

I was interested in making my own maps rather than using stock maps for my next mod. If anyone could give me some information, that would be great. First, what program is most frequently used and easiest to understand for a beginner. Secondly, how much does it cost. Thirdly, where could I get a tutorial on how to use the program to make [GR] maps.

Thanks,
rf01

#2 Spik@

Spik@

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

RileyFletcher,

Pretty understandable that you would like to make your own maps, instead of using the stock maps, but....

1) You will have to use 3dsmax. I think it is the only program you can use for map making for GR.
2) Pretty expensive. You don't have to have the most recent version, as GR is 10 yrs old, but still.... Version 4, 4.2 and 5 will do
3) Read this

Good luck!!

If it all seems a bit overwhelming, you might want to use some custom maps that others made? Custom maps. A good thing is mention the creator if you release a mission based on their map.

Again,....good luck! :thumbsup:
Spik@

"I complained about not having any shoes.....untill I met a man who had no feet"

#3 RileyFletcher_01

RileyFletcher_01

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

I believe 3ds is over 3,000 dollars? I may be way wrong, but that's what I've seen some places.

#4 Spik@

Spik@

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

I believe 3ds is over 3,000 dollars? I may be way wrong, but that's what I've seen some places.

Nope...you might be right! Like I said, it's pretty expensive! :rolleyes: You could try to find a second-hand copy? Although you might still need to pay a couple of hundred dollars!? Ebay?

The alternative is looking at the custom maps and see if there is something there that will suit your needs?

Regards,
Spik@ :hi:

"I complained about not having any shoes.....untill I met a man who had no feet"

#5 RileyFletcher_01

RileyFletcher_01

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:43 AM

Don't think making my own maps is work going to prison because I can't pay off my debts. :lol: Thanks for the info, Spik@

#6 Spik@

Spik@

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Don't think making my own maps is work going to prison because I can't pay off my debts. :lol: Thanks for the info, Spik@

RileyF,

:thumbsup: You now know what you need to go ahead with making maps! Perhaps we'll see many maps by your hand soon!

Good luck! ;)
Spik@

#7 RileyFletcher_01

RileyFletcher_01

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

I'm more of a scripter; not likely to start map making if it is that much trouble. IGOR's free and I know how to use it effectively, but maybe someday I'll try my hand at it. Make sure you check out my Claiming Liberty campaign when it comes out; should be finished sometime in November.

#8 Zeealex

Zeealex

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

i wonder if blender would work? it's got import and export options for Obj and 3ds files :huh:

armaniac_sig_by_zeealex-d7ysvbn.jpg
"If you feel truly passionate about something, you will gladly spend a lifetime pursuing it"
FEMAL3 status: Alpha 2. Excam Status: Being Refined

#9 Spik@

Spik@

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

RileyF,

I know it would take a lot of effort to make a map and even if you are able to make one, it will be hard to get it just the way you want. Not even mentioning the costly software needed.

I made some weapon models for GR (ages ago!) and it was pretty hard to get my head around 3dsmax. With good tutorials I managed to make some cool things, but I never got around to make maps myself.

And you said it, IGOR is free! With the stock maps and custom maps, there are lots of things you can do give them a complete make-over.

Good luck!
Spik@ :thumbsup:

#10 teppe

teppe

Pointman - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

I cant download the excample map. Is it important?
''Train hard - fight easy''

#11 RileyFletcher_01

RileyFletcher_01

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

teppe, please refrain from posting off-topic content. If you do not have something helpful to say, or a question related to the subject of someone's topic, post it in your own topic. Thanks.

#12 RileyFletcher_01

RileyFletcher_01

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hey Spik@, does Autodesk 3ds Max 8 work for making maps? I found it on softwaregold.net for around 100 dollars, and that is definitely in my price range. Is that the right version or whatever?

#13 Zeealex

Zeealex

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

:yes: sorry butting in here, but it should be fine, i think 3DS max 4 was used when some of the weapon modding recon entries were made/

"If you feel truly passionate about something, you will gladly spend a lifetime pursuing it"

#14 Zeko

Zeko

Pointman - 1st Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Sorry but Max 8 wont work for GR. You can model geometry but you wont be able to export it to GR. Only version 3,4 and 5 will work with export plugin.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Zeealex

Zeealex

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Sorry I tbought it would be backwards compatible :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users