Ghost Recon Future Soldier

Photo

will there be Stand Alone Dedicated Servers ?

18 replies to this topic

#16 NarcSgt

NarcSgt

Recruit - 3rd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

The last Ghost Recons looked good but they failed because of the strain on servers. They server companies wanted $100 dollars to run a game because it took up a whole server to run. You would think UBI would have looked at that.

UBI has had a long history of lack of support for their games. They deserted the Rainbow Six series. The series had a huge following and Raven Shield should have been expanded and supported. The Vegas series could have also been a hit. Lack of support on those games and the server files sucked.

Many PC gamers are very cautious buying a UBI game. I am going to wait and see what they do with server files before I purchase. COD MW3 is a waste without a ranked server file. LAG and hackers!

NarcSgt

#17 Bota:16

Bota:16

Pointman - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • XFire:athenian

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

I asked on the UBI forums in a thread talking about the PC game in which a UBI rep was active in. He managed to reply to a few people who posted after my question and all I got was crickets.....

#18 Joseph_Q

Joseph_Q

Pointman - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I asked on the UBI forums in a thread talking about the PC game in which a UBI rep was active in. He managed to reply to a few people who posted after my question and all I got was crickets.....

Their silence in this regard speaks volumes. I'm afraid that they just don't want to confirm, that GR:FS is stright forward port form console and it will have matchmaking system with best ping players hosting games for everyone.

Too bad, because I really like what I see on beta vids. It's not Ghost Recon game of course (and they should remove GR from title), but it looks better than any CoD or any other arcade twitch shooter, and I would gladly play this game waiting for real GR title. I just want to have one more thing before I pre-order, confirmation on real PC support: SADS, mod support and much better graphics + options.

Edited by Joseph_Q, 23 April 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Posted Image

#19 101459

Scout - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

Their silence in this regard speaks volumes. I'm afraid that they just don't want to confirm, that GR:FS is stright forward port form console and it will have matchmaking system with best ping players hosting games for everyone.

A month ago I might have agreed, but, Ubisoft is a huge company with different Studios working on not just different games but different iterations of the same game for different platforms. More then that it's a sure bet that finance and planning are managed separately -- and there's evidence that this may be what lead to conflicting messages that used to come out of Ubi about various games -- so silence may indicate caution about what's not known by all parties in all studios about all plans...

That there was a crescendo of negative feed-back regarding Ubisoft's onerous PC DRM months before Ubisoft responded to the flurry of questions from justifiably angry and frustrated Fans and even press, demonstrates a more cautious effort to deliver a clear message -- Ubi did finally deliver a very deliberate and clear message that PC Fans are getting what they've been asking for in reasonable DRM.

I get a feeling that there is someone at Ubisoft that is not only listening to PC Fans but understands the platform; that for PC sales to succeed a game requires DRM that doesn't hurt paying Customers more then Criminals, that to sell to a substantial audience that look to multi-player for their fun a game requires a stand-alone dedicated server (free or rental it doesn't matter), and if they want to interest the largest audience possible -- Mod support will seal the deal creating massive immigration of Fans to the title.

I'm not proselytizing for false hope here, just that putting SADS under GR:FS PC is not a costly proposition, that Ubisoft probably wants to commit to its marketing message for the console first, as that product is going out the door first, and let PC Fans focus on GR:O, for now. I have made a little poll though that might tell us more here...

:unsure:

Edited by 101459, 23 April 2012 - 12:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users