Photo

BF: BC 2 - Your Impressions ?

49 replies to this topic

#1 CR6

CR6

• Consultant
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like there are a few people in this forum that have got the game, so here's a thread to consolidate our opinions on what you think so far about SP, MP, the graphics or whatever.

I happened to be in Best Buy the on March 2 so I have purchased the PC version on release day. Haven't had time to install it yet but hopefully soon.

Also let us know if you are hosting a dedicated server.

#2 Rocky

Rocky

• Admin
  • 22,718 posts
  • XFire:rocky00grnet

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

Ordering it from online store now....

Posted Image
GhostRecon.net | Rainbow Six | PSP Guides | Support GR.net | My Blog | My Game Videos
Posted Image

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" Albert Einstein

"Framerate is just a number" WatchDogs Creative Director

#3 CR6

CR6

• Consultant
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

Awesome - let us know how the intstall etc. goes!

BFBC2 sure seems to have a lot going for it that differentiates it from other shooters: vehicles, fully-destructable environments, hardcore mode, not to mention support for dedicated servers, and a dev studio that is open to the mod community.

Here's some interesting news:
There are more people purchasing the PC version of BFBC2 than console versions combined:
http://kotaku.com/54...r-pc-to-console

Bad Company 2 Devs Have Nothing But Love For The Modding Community
http://kotaku.com/54...dding-community

#4 Rocky

Rocky

• Admin
  • 22,718 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

Great news and great read thanks CR6.

Posted Image
GhostRecon.net | Rainbow Six | PSP Guides | Support GR.net | My Blog | My Game Videos
Posted Image

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" Albert Einstein

#5 CR6

CR6

• Consultant
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:22 AM

Someone commenting on the Kotaku article posted the stats from Xfire for how much BFBC2 PC is being played today:

http://cache.gawker....67a115/340x.jpg

Note: At first I thought did BFBC2 already sell over 6 million units??? No, it was played over 6 million minutes ... :wall:

Interestingly, CoD4 and CoD2 MP are still played more than MW2 (ranking below in case image disappears)

WoW: 14+ million minutes
CoD4: 8.5 million minutes
BFBC2: 6.3 million minutes
CoD2: 5.3 million minutes
MW2: 3.7 million minutes
CS-S: 1.4 million minutes

#6 firefly2442

firefly2442

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • XFire:firefly2442

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

Wow, I'm surprised CoD2 is still being played.

It's unfortunate there aren't any mod tools. I was really hoping for Project Reality 2.

#7 CR6

CR6

• Consultant
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

So I'm installing as we speak. Didn't realize the retail version of the game I bought was the "Limited Edition" which you'll find is not a big deal below:

Install asks me to type in a key found on the back of the manual. However, there is a second key on a pull-out card with big lettering "Get Your Limited Edition Unlocks" which apparently I can enter on the Main Menu and get the following:

4 Vehicle Warfare Unlocks (I guess I need all the help I can get :))
- Improved vehicle armor
- Supreme vehicle firepower
- Vehicle motion sensor
- Tracer dart pistol

2 Classic Battlefield 1943 Weapons (didn't know BF1943 was already a classic :rollseyes:
- M1A1 submachine gun
- M1911 pistol

As promised, after install I get a dialog box that pops up asking how I want to authenticate Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2. Disc authentication requires the disc in the drive to be able to play. Online authentication requires an internet connection but doesn’t require the disc.

Note you cannot change the authentication method without reinstalling the game!

I'm going with disc authentication since I have 2 optical drives and tend to play one game into the ground before I move on to the next ...

Punkbuster install was painless too.

Now the auto-updater - looks like a big Day 1 patch ...

#8 NightCrawler

NightCrawler

Ghost - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

Got it last night, install was no problem. Went with the Online Authentication so that I can put it on more PC's.

Finished the single player today, loved it.

If someone points me to a good server where you all play, I may stop and check it out...still not really into the run and gun type gameplay though.
Posted Image

#9 =warcloud=

=warcloud=

Pointman - 1st Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

"Get Your Limited Edition Unlocks" which apparently I can enter on the Main Menu and get the following, Now the auto-updater - looks like a big Day 1 patch ...

I couldn't find the limited edition at asda so settled for the normal vanilla one. I noticed in the games menu you click on multiplayer and scroll down to "redeem code". day one patch gave two new maps, nelson bay and laguna alta, i believe one is for rush mode and the other is conquest. The single player is ok, the other three characters have humorous chit chat along the way. Collectables to be found in single player (don't think they carry over to the mp side though?). Sp is quite linear for the most part, there are around 5 different sound setting filters you can apply on the fly in game play, i like the fact you can press esc on keyboard and test which settings suit you. There is a lot of bloom on lcd monitors especialy on lcd/tft monitors imho (i use a hd lcd and a crt monitor) i prefer crt, less bloom, less bright on CRT's. I'm playing on hard mode to make the sp experience last, but the campaign is quite short, not really really short but i'm suprised i'm probably nearly at completion. There is flickering on my ATI graphics card in game, i had to press esc on keyboard and change anti-aliasing from 8x to 4x, it seems to stop the flicker, and then i can change back to 8x msaa. Graphics are good, i find most DICE games are, the lighting is good, except the bloom can be a bit overpowering, blinding, shadows are good but i don't think you the player cast your own shadow. Fun game in sp, a good game from DICE. Multiplayer is fast and furious. I'm still adjusting to the no run strafe movement, it's kind of robotic but you get used to it.

Just to add; there appears to be a lot of cut-scenes in sp, some are interactive. Mature language, no profanity filter in sp and with regards to the bloom and lighting fx it can be disabled by the settings document as posted below. Also you can change field of view, i believe it can go as high as 200, i tried 65 in sp mode and couldn't tell the difference, some have said the FOV reverts back to default 55 because of the in game cut-scenes ?. In hard mode there is still a crosshair on screen, the enemy is just tougher, varied enemys too. There is a great hit effect when getting shot, a nice kick up, don't think there is a great amount of kick up when firing weapons.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 =warcloud=

=warcloud=

Pointman - 1st Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

Shame there is no mod tools, maybe later down the line ?.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 KRP 56

KRP 56

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

Got it last night, install was no problem. Went with the Online Authentication so that I can put it on more PC's.
Finished the single player today, loved it.

Am I reading this right,got it last night and already finished the SP campaign? If so how darn short is the SP campaign? :unsure:

Edited by KRP 56, 07 March 2010 - 05:53 PM.

#12 Rpghard

Rpghard

Pointman - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

This is a total revolution of the gaming experience a quality never before seen.Since I have played this game,I don't want to play any other game.

BF2 will lost a lot of players and COD'S gamers will come to BFBC2 also...this game is a mixed of BF2,CODMW and counter strike...

I have always as a lot of respect for DICE I always knew that they were one step ahead everybody.I think that they will pave the way and I expect a big succes in the near future.

I have played all the beta then I was lucky to played the game this tuesday,we have no school this week and I played almost 40 hours :yes: ....nuts.

I have almost unlocked all the kits and gadget reached level 22...my favorites game type is RUSH cause it concentrate the action at a same point.With this gametype and 32 players I feel more action than they are in BF2 conquest with 64 players.

If you want to add me as a friend my nick is:RIPhard

Have fun and see you soon on the battlefield! :o=
Posted Image

#13 Lightspeed

Lightspeed

Ghost - 1st Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

i must say im always wary of ppl loving a game after 5 minuts of play. How many times have we seen a loved game which noone plays after several weeks?
I'm going to wait on this one.

#14 Rocky

Rocky

• Admin
  • 22,718 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

How many times have we seen a loved game which noone plays after several weeks?

Too many, well, at least once in the last few months, so I can't blame you. Still, my copy should be here in a couple of days, can't let those kiddies get too far ahead of me on map familiarity!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Lightspeed

Lightspeed

Ghost - 1st Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:59 AM

lol agreed - if ur interested i know a lot of Spartans are playing regularly on TS3.
from the gameplay ive seen it does look tasty and with some comms could be gr8 gameplay.
but i know some ppl having some serious connection issues including Daisan who cant even connect to a server at present.
i think hardcore mode and a couple of patches and should be right for some ggz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users