57 replies to this topic

#1 Variable13

Variable13

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:58 AM

I've put together an old idea of mine (finally got time to finish it) for a GR mod that I've been working on for a long time. It is a 12-mission sp/co-op campaign based on Tom Clancy's novel Red Storm Rising. It's a WWIII scenario set in Cold-War Europe in 1989. The missions are all adapted from events that occur in the novel. Reading the book is not a necessity, but I hope that playing this campaign will entice some to do so... it is an awesome read. It requires DS, IT, and the Heroes Unleashed mod by Apex.

You play the game in three different theaters, with three separate skins: in East/West Germany as an elite German Landwehr anti-tank team; in the same region as US Armored Cav infantry; and in Iceland as US Marines. In all three, you are battling the Soviet Red Army. The weapons available are all period-based as far as I could research. Watch the intro movie for more details, and read each mission briefing for more information.

I've used the following mods to piece together the campaign:
Mission scripting - Variable13
Heroes Unleashed - ApexMods
HH Airport map - H-Hour
Pond map (day) - Cobaka
Airbase day map - james
Winter Mountain Valley map - Bludawg
SOFLAM kits - thales100
SWAT actors - Chems
German actors - DOG-ZEBRA
Marines - Sixpence
French actors - Petitjean & Froggy
British actors - Sixpence
SPETZNAZ actors - Ingeloop
civy truck - Tinker
hostages - MONOLITH and BajaBravo
Scorpion - Hammer
FAMAS, G3, AUG weps - Bajabravo

Credit must be given to these modders, and I hope I've asked/read/obtained permission from them or from their own mod read-me's.

Before I release it, I'd like to have a few people beta-test it by playing through the thing. I've done so myself, and with my brothers in co-op mode, but we are biased and might miss some obvious things.

Send me a pm and I will send you a filefront link for the zip file. I have to upload it some time this weekend, but by then hopefully some will be interested.
-Variable13

Edited by Variable13, 02 January 2010 - 11:56 PM.

#2 Lightspeed

Lightspeed

Ghost - 1st Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:26 AM

Sounds good mate - I'll try it out at some point for sure.

One thing - I think you'll find that IGS Leagues used the Winter Map which was actually a retexture job done by Bludawg from CBA. He should get the credit.

Lighty

#3 Variable13

Variable13

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:27 AM

Duly noted; thanks!

Edited by Variable13, 02 January 2010 - 11:56 PM.

#4 Tinker

Tinker

• Staff
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

Only just spotted this :o

PM Sent
Posted Image

#5 BS PALADIN

BS PALADIN

Pointman - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

I love Red Storm Rising. Cant wait to give this a go.

I intend to make a modern day version mod of the book using the main plot themes in the next few months. Got the main story sorted and most mission objectives.

Edited by BS PALADIN, 06 January 2010 - 10:52 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Rocky

Rocky

• Admin
  • 22,609 posts
  • XFire:rocky00grnet

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

:o

Don't you just LOVE IT when presents like this just drop out of nowhere. :D I really dig the book tie in too, it's exactly the sort of thing I would do if I were a modder.

Thanks mate, PM incoming!

Posted Image
GhostRecon.net | Rainbow Six | PSP Guides | Support GR.net | My Blog | My Game Videos
Posted Image

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" Albert Einstein

#7 Pave Low

Pave Low

• Admin
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:28 AM

Oh yes, count me as very interested too :thumbsup:

PM inbound
Posted Image

Posted Image . Posted Image . Posted Image . Posted Image . Posted Image .Posted Image . Posted Image

Posted Image . Posted Image . Posted Image . Posted Image

#8 SeekerII

SeekerII

Recruit - 3rd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

Outstanding, count me as VERY interested also ... :-)

Seekerii
(aka Stormlord)
Posted Image

#9 Variable13

Variable13

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:08 AM

I am having a few issues with either zipping the mod or uploading it to FileFront, so as soon as I work these out, I will be sending the link to those of you who pm'ed me. Thanks for the interest, I hope I can get all the little bugs out fast!

Edited by Variable13, 11 January 2010 - 10:27 PM.

#10 thales100

thales100

Ghost - 2nd Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

Sounds great Variable13, congratulations. :)

Edited by thales100, 11 January 2010 - 04:20 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Variable13

Variable13

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

I've had a few requests to make this a stand-alone mod, but I just can't. It is too well-integrated into Heroes Unleashed, and even if I did, it in itself would be huge in size. I just don't have the time and patience to surgically extract it from all the aspects of HU that it uses.

If someone else has the skill, time, and patience to do so, by all means go for it!

#12 H-Hour

H-Hour

Pointman - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

I may have been one of the people you're talking about, but that's not what I meant. I think it's a great way to release. I'm just always juggling hard drive space so I can't keep it on my computer all the time.

My first reaction to HU was that it should serve precisely this purpose: a "base" upon which mods could be built so that there's less to distribute. Each modder could construct a custom mission pack/campaign which used just those components they wanted and trust that people already had HU installed. Any new content could simply be added on top.

I think it's a great way to release, it's just a shame Apex disappeared. I considered structuring the mod I'm working at the moment in this way, but in the end I was drawing less on HU than I expected so I didn't bother.

#13 Lightspeed

Lightspeed

Ghost - 1st Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

oh i see - he added stuff to the HU mod instead of his own mod with HU activated.

yes v tricky

#14 Tinker

Tinker

• Staff
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:36 AM

oh i see - he added stuff to the HU mod instead of his own mod with HU activated.

yes v tricky

Not quiet, his mod just requires HU. Red Storm Rising comes in at 471MB alone. ;) He has simply used HU as a base to go from, because it contains all the things needed already. HU is perfect for this to use as a base. Contains all sorts of great stuff. As said, if he had gone for a stand alone mod, it would of been huge, for no reason. Generally assuming, most people have HU already on there hard drives.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

#15 Variable13

Variable13

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

Anyone have comments/suggestions/issues about the mod's game-play so far?

Recently, I've made some scripting changes to a few missions, and also discovered that the .env file for the first mission had the spotting distance way out there (like 300 yds!), so that issue still exists in the beta but will not in the new release. I couldn't believe I was getting sniped from so far away! :wall: I've also upped the difficulty for a few of the final missions, but shouldn't be anything unrealistic. I also think there may be some redundant files hanging around, so the final version might be a bit smaller in size.

Edited by Variable13, 17 January 2010 - 03:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users