Mission 9: Codename Farallon

133 replies to this topic

#121 RAbbi_74

RAbbi_74

Ghost - 3rd Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:32 AM

PS: It really bugs me the way helicopters in FPS games (it is by no means a GRAW-exclusive issue) always hover 30ft over your head and fires at you. I mean, which sane chopper pilot would park his gunship within point blank range of an enemy?

NONE, you're right. M230 30mm gun on an AH-64 (A-D models, the gun never changed) has an unclassified range WAY outside all but the LONGEST sniper rifle ranges. Rockets? A couple kilometers. AGM-114C (the original, oldskool one) Hellfire missile? 6-8 Km, unclassified. The AGM-114F's we were loading in Albania in 1999 were considerably longer than that. The AH-64D Longbow's Fire Control Radar has an unclassified range WAY out there, in relative terms. Think of doing target handoffs for MLRS, and you start to see the (again UNCLAS) picture.

Problem is, games have to be fun. Can't go getting your backside handed to you by a helicopter outside the draw distance (which in GRAWGRAW2 is less than half the effective, open-sights range of an M16A1/A2). That would suck. Developers are tasked to put things in a more adventurous (if not completely fictional) context so that the Ritalin crowd can pay attention for more than three minutes. Personally, I'd rather they be left out. They usually only make for BOSS BATTLE pwnage anyhow. Hell, for reality's sake, you shouldn't even see a tank or APC at <147m. They've got some killer optics, those that were manufactured since like 1865...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#122 krise madsen

krise madsen

Pointman - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:01 AM

Problem is, games have to be fun. Can't go getting your backside handed to you by a helicopter outside the draw distance (which in GRAWGRAW2 is less than half the effective, open-sights range of an M16A1/A2). That would suck. Developers are tasked to put things in a more adventurous (if not completely fictional) context so that the Ritalin crowd can pay attention for more than three minutes. Personally, I'd rather they be left out. They usually only make for BOSS BATTLE pwnage anyhow. Hell, for reality's sake, you shouldn't even see a tank or APC at <147m. They've got some killer optics, those that were manufactured since like 1865...

I could imagine quite a lot of fun having to dodge realistically behaving enemy helicopters by staying out of sight, keeping in the weeds and moving in and out of buildings. Oh wait, you can't enter the buildings... Erm, never mind then... <_<

Seriously, I'm getting too old for boss battles. That was fun back in the Commodore 64 days, but this is the 21st century...

Respectfully

krise madsen

Edited by krise madsen, 08 April 2008 - 07:03 AM.

"crisis" is my middle name...

#123 ARDelta

ARDelta

Pointman - 2nd Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hmmm.... I can't start it. Crashes every time. Gonna try it at home.

Any luck, Wolfsong?
Posted Image

#124 RAbbi_74

RAbbi_74

Ghost - 3rd Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

Seriously, I'm getting too old for boss battles. That was fun back in the Commodore 64 days, but this is the 21st century...

Respectfully

krise madsen

Ain't THAT the truth....
Posted Image
Posted Image

#125 Rafterman

Rafterman

Recruit - 3rd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:25 AM

This one is driving me crazy. I think I've had every problem mentioned in this thread.

I play all the way through and can't place the darn EMP unit. I close the game and then come to this thread and figure out that you just have to keep trying. OK, got that to work.

The attack choppers show up - of course, I've used my Zeus to shoot down the troop chopper that showed up on the dam thinking it was one of the two choppers everyone was talking about - no problem, my two Ghosts have their Zeuses. WRONG. I didn't realize that I had to equip them with the Zeus at the beginning of the map. I just assumed that, since I had a Zeus, that they had theirs too. So I give it a few tries of shooting them down with small arms and the RPGs to no effect.

OK, no problem, I'll just restart the round. I gave everyone a Zeus. Make my way to the entrance and kill everyone in sight. Hmmm, no message telling me that the objective is complete - must have just been a bug - no biggie. I fight my way all the way to the dam, get the message that I'm leaving the zone - HUH? Must be another silly bug. Make it about 1/3 of the way across the dam - BAM, dead. No shot, no shooter, just dead. I replay this about 5 times and the exact same thing happens in the exact same place every time.

I come back to this thread and read up on the problems some guys are having with the entrance. I go back to the game and instead of tackling the dam, I take my team back to the entrance to find the hiding bad guy - NADA. After spending at least 20 minutes searching, there's nobody there. My only thought is that he must be crouching or laying down in the tower by the gate. Of course some game designer thought it would be funny to put targets in a tower that you can't access - lovely.

So I guess I'm going to restart it once again and hopefully everything will work right.

#126 NoQuarter

NoQuarter

Ghost - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

^
That's the spirit...endeavor to persevere.:thumbsup:
But the cynic would freely admit that all that effort amounts to, or passes for, this game titles replay factor...so dig in & enjoy it, 'cause once it's done...

#127 lacomet

lacomet

Recruit - 3rd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:23 PM

I'm playing the PC version of the game. I equipped my team mates with the Zeus but I don't know how to instruct them to use the Zeus. When the copters come they just shoot with one of their other guns.

How are you suppossed to kill teh 2 choppers with nothing but a rifle?

Kit out correctly, you would be carrying the Zeus !! and every time you die you get another one for free, also you need a team mate to carry one too.

How do you mark the copters with a red diamond?

I ZEUS'd one myself and ordered one of my ghosts to "Attack" the other one as soon as it had a diamond on it which he did using a Zeus.

No difficulty doing it that way.

The RPG didn't appear to do anything to the troop helo so I'd guess it wouldn't scratch the attack helos.

#128 spicy

spicy

Recruit - 3rd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hi,Plz help me with the following

1 'm new to Graw2 (1st week)
2 Mission: Farallon

Status: single handed (chose wrong settings so no support team available besides fared badly in "Multiple Axes)
Used Zeus 1 Halo downed

Stuck with the 2nd Halo
On hand : RPG with around 75 rounds and the secondary weapon with 3 clips (it does smoke after being hit but even scar-200*5 also doesn't help pull it down)

NOTHING SEEMS to WORK I HAVE TRIED SO HARD TO SHOOT IT IMMEDIATELY AS IT IS APPROACHING (the dist is hardly 200 feet )

How to aim this RPG (where should that illuminated GEM be on that sight grid? so that I can rip that halo....

Thanks

#129 rahnman

rahnman

Scout - 1st Class

• Beta Tester
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hi Spicy,

The best way to take out the helicoptor is to have an M99 sniper rifle and take a shot at the cockpit. All it takes is one good shot. Aim for the pilot. This means you will have to restart from the beginning of this particular mission (actually, you may have to start from the end of the previous mission) but it will prove best in the end. I don't remember if you will be able to equip a Zeus/M99/and a secondary all at the same time, but I think that you will. If not then the M99 is more important than the zeus (unless there are tanks in the mission). For a secondary I would choose the m8_compact with a silencer. On single shot it is still very acurate at distances. Remember that you can pick weapons off of dead AI.

The RPG is not a good weapon to choose against a heli as it is very difficult to hit.

Good Luck!

Rahn

#130 tom1935

tom1935

Scout - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

Spicy, I've played this a lot of times and the only way I could get past the 2 helicoptors was to arm at least 2 on my team with zeus. I have not been succssful with anything else, I usually pick up a powerful rifle from the first elevated guard station starting over the bridge. You have to kill him first and then pick up that gun, it could be a sniper rifle, not sure. Rahn, have you been able to kill the pilot with this gun? I know on earlier missions, I could shoot the pilot, but was not able to kill them on this mission. If so, I may get off multiplayer and try single again and see, would be fun to try. :o=

Tom1935

#131 ABEMPORAT

ABEMPORAT

Recruit - 3rd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

To make your team mate shut the helicopter you have to select the teammate an then pres "g" on the keyboard now you will see what he sees.
to make it shut select atack then select the target an pres atack again

this work for me exelent and you don't have to whait the guy shut inmidiatly

#132 tom1935

tom1935

Scout - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

After "farallon" your mission is to tag a missle so that our pilot can bomb it. While inside the silo and after tagging it, is it possible to escape without getting killed? I have tried several times, trying to remember how I got in but have failed everytime. Anyone know the answer to this?

I know this discussion is about "farallon", but hoping someone had an answer to this since it follows successful mission of "farallon".

Regards,

Tom1935

#133 Blame

Blame

Pointman - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Yes, it is possible.

#134 tom1935

tom1935

Scout - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ok, thanks, I'm in that phase now and will keep trying...

Tom1935

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users