Colin

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

Girls/Guys just a heads up.

The Anticheat server option for This weeks Add on

When enabled this feature will run certain checks to match the client with the server. Note that this will affect any users with modded files, including the main GRAW.exe.

If you wish to play using modified files, make sure the server configuration matches your own, or you will not be able to play (this includes all files in the ./local/ directory).

Colin
Posted Image

#2 Agent Smith

Agent Smith

Scout - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:47 AM

We can just move the folders in the Local folder out of there if we want to go online, not that big of a deal.
Posted Image
I AM NOT AGENT SMITH ON THE UBI FORUMS. I DO NOT GO THERE.

#3 TedSmith

TedSmith

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:56 AM

As a quick question on this subject, Colin...

Does the game detect any folders within the local folder, or only the active one?

Meaning, since I use SierraSeven's mod launcher if I have a bunch of mods that are sitting within the local folder, but the language setting within the context.xml is NOT set to run any of those mods, am I still going to have problems connecting to servers?

#4 Beers

Beers

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:42 AM

Does the game detect any folders within the local folder, or only the active one?

Meaning, since I use SierraSeven's mod launcher if I have a bunch of mods that are sitting within the local folder, but the language setting within the context.xml is NOT set to run any of those mods, am I still going to have problems connecting to servers?

Arg, we barley got thirdperson, and now, when we get it, we wont be able to use it online... oh well, single player is going to be the basis for me any way (thidperson view is too cool to give up imho), until tdm that is... better msg GRIN (if they would even take a gaze at the idea of implementing a keymapped thirdperson arg...)

Edited by Beers, 20 June 2006 - 01:44 AM.

1 gig pc 3200 kingston hyperX ram
250gig 7200rpm 16mb cache ide harddrive
600w aspire psu
windows xp professional sp2
----Catalyst 7.4----

#5 Degamer

Degamer

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:20 AM

Even if its just performance tweaks? I run an 128 AGP card and I can't play graw for nothing without my tweaks.

#6 Beers

Beers

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:35 AM

Even if its just performance tweaks? I run an 128 AGP card and I can't play graw for nothing without my tweaks.

I don't think your config would matter... but, what files did you edit? If you needed to unbundle the game, change physics, or gameplay I would say it would mess with punkbuster(or whatever they are using)... if not then you may be able to keep your tweaks :P

Edited by Beers, 20 June 2006 - 02:36 AM.

1 gig pc 3200 kingston hyperX ram
250gig 7200rpm 16mb cache ide harddrive
600w aspire psu
windows xp professional sp2
----Catalyst 7.4----

#7 rookie

rookie

Pointman - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

This weeks addon? That's good news, because in all this threads about this patch, I didn't read it would come this week.

Posted Image

#8 Scubaman3D

Scubaman3D

Scout - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

This weeks addon? That's good news, because in all this threads about this patch, I didn't read it would come this week.

hmm, maybe colin knows something we don't? Anyways, it won't matter once we get mod support from GRIN. :grin1:
Posted Image
Black Foot Studios is coming for ya.

#9 Degamer

Degamer

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

I don't think your config would matter... but, what files did you edit? If you needed to unbundle the game, change physics, or gameplay I would say it would mess with punkbuster(or whatever they are using)... if not then you may be able to keep your tweaks :P

I tweaked the rendersettings.xml to have certain texture set to low/medium/high, and to have the majority of the workload sent to my RAM instead of my GPU. I have a AMD 4200 and it picks up the slack of my GFX card. Same tweaks allow me to run Oblivion on full high siettings.

#10 TedSmith

TedSmith

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:28 PM

I tweaked the rendersettings.xml to have certain texture set to low/medium/high, and to have the majority of the workload sent to my RAM instead of my GPU. I have a AMD 4200 and it picks up the slack of my GFX card. Same tweaks allow me to run Oblivion on full high siettings.

Changes to rendersettings.xml wouldn't be compared (unless they made a major goof up, which I'm going to assume they didn't). Otherwise everyone would have to run the exact same graphics settings to play on the same server and that would just be retarded.

Edited by TedSmith, 20 June 2006 - 02:29 PM.

#11 Scubaman3D

Scubaman3D

Scout - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

This is good, since it will be more difficult to cheat now, but won't this also kill modding?

I would infer from Colin's post that even if a server is running a mod, players without the mod can't join.
Posted Image
Black Foot Studios is coming for ya.

#12 Colin

Colin

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

With repsect this is only the start and things will move on.

Server and client files need to be identical. With the same dates.

We are only in the second month of the game give it time.

Remember your comments are read well most of them, and the Team are willing to learn from us as much as we from them.

Once this is released have a look at it and then come back in with feedback.

Colin
Posted Image

#13 Degamer

Degamer

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:53 PM

Wait, the same freaking DATES? So since I at one point modified my quickbundle file, I'm going to have to reinstall becuase the date has now changed? Only 100% untouched fresh installs will work?

#14 Stickan

Stickan

Recruit - 1st Class

• Other Developers
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

A feature like this will have certain undocumented qualities to it, so I'll clarify with some answers to your questions.

We can just move the folders in the Local folder out of there if we want to go online, not that big of a deal.

Good (and working) suggestion. You can (and should if you have a local language version) leave the French, Spanish, Italian, German folders and their sounds and strings subdirectories.

The system will check your local folder, irregardless of context.xml settings.

Settings files won't be checked. You should pretty much only worry about stuff in "local" that's not the default text strings, sounds or movies.

This is good, since it will be more difficult to cheat now, but won't this also kill modding?

I would infer from Colin's post that even if a server is running a mod, players without the mod can't join.

This is true. Unless the server has the same files you do you won't be allowed to play on it.

Wait, the same freaking DATES? So since I at one point modified my quickbundle file, I'm going to have to reinstall becuase the date has now changed? Only 100% untouched fresh installs will work?

The dates don't matter. Edit: if you modified it, though, it wouldn't match the server's and would shut you out for that reason instead.

S
"You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me."

#15 TedSmith

TedSmith

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

The system will check your local folder, irregardless of context.xml settings.

I must admit, I'm somewhat concerned about this. While people can still get around it by moving folders around, it's just one more thing that makes using mods more inconvenient and I wonder at the effect it will have on the number of people willing to try them.

Is there any way to get us an actual 'mods' folder in the future that the game won't check against the server files unless the mods are activated on either client or server?

Edit: Oh, and another question...

I take it this means that if we have the quick.bundle extracted, we'll have to remove all the extracted files that shouldn't be there from a stock install? I suppose it's easy enough to extract the data folder somewhere else to have access to the files for modding in the future, though I've always had mine extracted to the appropriate locations within the GRAW root folder.

Edited by TedSmith, 20 June 2006 - 11:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users