Ghost Recon Future Soldier

Photo

GR2 not released because we break the law?

26 replies to this topic

#16 Snake@War

Snake@War

Ghost - 3rd Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

Sarge Atoa, I am STILL playing Ghost Recon SP dude. I've never played online for even a SECOND. How many years is that on just SP and mods?...

#17 KRP 56

KRP 56

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:19 PM

Sarge Atoa, I am STILL playing Ghost Recon SP dude. I've never played online for even a SECOND. How many years is that on just SP and mods?...

View Post

I thought I was the only one here that has never played GR online and was still playing GR + mods. :blink:
Posted Image

#18 Gav80

Gav80

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:15 AM

I do play it online, but I also still play the SP. One of the reasons I haven't tried the highly-rated OE mod for Far Cry is the lack of SP. The single-player campaign is very important to me - I would never buy a game that was MP only.

Edited by Gav80, 22 April 2005 - 10:16 AM.

Posted Image
Nothing evil...? That's exactly the kind of radical thinking I need!

#19 lexsis

lexsis

Pointman - 2nd Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:49 AM

priates have been around since the days of the C64 !!
“The power over life and death – Don’t be proud of it. Whatever they fear from you, you will be threatened with.”

#20 Gav80

Gav80

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

Pirates have been around since the 15th century... or are we talking about different things now...? :P

Seriously, I don't think the game wasn't released because of piracy issues. If that's the reason, then that means we'll never see another PC game from Ubi again.
Posted Image

#21 QB-Paladin

QB-Paladin

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 02:19 PM

The development of a game is only a percentage of the cost, marketing and publishing a title costs a considerable amount.With the planned launch of GR3, UBI decided that the cost in Publishing GR2 PC was not worth the revenue they'd get back by the time GR2 PC would be ready, with GR3 so close to release.

View Post

True. Also, consider that generally once a console game is done, it's done. You don't have near the followup support requirement for a console game that you do for a PC (insert jokes about rushing games to market without enough beta testing and UBI-support bashing here). So, that's probably another part of the equation. If we assume Ghost Recon 3 for the PC was actually in the pipeline well before the GR2 cancellation annoucement, then it does start to make sense given the drawn-out development time...

- Publishing & marketing costs of a game that will be "bargain-binned" by a sequel within 9 months.
- Post launch patches & support costs
- No opportunity for Expansion Pack sales because of GR3's release

If you want my opinion, it's probably #3 there as much as anything. I mean, on the PC side, it's probably more profitable to make the expansions than an original game because you eliminate most of the programming development costs. You have level designers, artists, sound and so forth, but the engine programming is largely not a factor in the expansion packs.

Edited by QB-Paladin, 22 April 2005 - 05:46 PM.

#22 Gav80

Gav80

Scout - 3rd Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:06 PM

Right. Which is exactly why, when GR3 PC was announced in this financial year, many foresaw the end for GR2 PC...
Posted Image

#23 Snake@War

Snake@War

Ghost - 3rd Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:17 PM

View Post

I thought I was the only one here that has never played GR online and was still playing GR + mods. :blink:

View Post

:thumbsup: Have ya tried Harntrox's HX Mission? That baby adds LOTS of replayability.

#24 whoa182

whoa182

Scout - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

How many people do you know that used GR1 PC copies?  Personally, I knew of loads of people with copies of the game.

Now how many people do you think would have had a GR2 PC copy?  Again, I would say the number would be vast.

UBI's PC gamers make up 15% of the market.  Not very much is it?  What percentage could it have been if less people had a copied version of the game?  20%?  25%?  Well more than enough for UBI to take us more seriously, and then maybe GR2 would have been released on the PC after all.

So do you think it is possible that UBI have not released GR2 PC because we are a group of moaning, breaking the law, keyboard loving freaks who they have no care for any more?

I'd be interested in knowing how many people in the console market copy and use games compared to the PC market.  I bet it would be much smaller. 

Food for thought whatever you think.

View Post

I really believe that we are seeing the effects that years of piracy has done. Most games are now being made for consoles first. However much developers like the PC community, they have to go where the money is and its certainly not in PC.

I also think that if PC gamers as a whole started to support the PC gaming sector, we could recover quite well. But it will take a lot of PC gamers to change their ways. Although Console piracy could be bigger? the effects of it are not seen as much because of the number of people that have these cnosoles

Its very obvious that there were thousands of GR players that didn't have real copies of the game. GR was a huge game and the community was the best I have participated in, but that doesn't matter if the game never made enough money for further development of the Series.

Edited by whoa182, 26 May 2005 - 08:33 PM.

Posted Image
Go to the MPRIZE WEBSITE AND SUPPORT ANTI-AGING RESEARCH!

#25 Specter

Specter

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:21 AM

How many people do you know that used GR1 PC copies?  Personally, I knew of loads of people with copies of the game.

Now how many people do you think would have had a GR2 PC copy?  Again, I would say the number would be vast.

UBI's PC gamers make up 15% of the market.  Not very much is it?  What percentage could it have been if less people had a copied version of the game?  20%?  25%?  Well more than enough for UBI to take us more seriously, and then maybe GR2 would have been released on the PC after all.

So do you think it is possible that UBI have not released GR2 PC because we are a group of moaning, breaking the law, keyboard loving freaks who they have no care for any more?

I'd be interested in knowing how many people in the console market copy and use games compared to the PC market.  I bet it would be much smaller. 

Food for thought whatever you think.

View Post

I really believe that we are seeing the effects that years of piracy has done. Most games are now being made for consoles first. However much developers like the PC community, they have to go where the money is and its certainly not in PC.

I also think that if PC gamers as a whole started to support the PC gaming sector, we could recover quite well. But it will take a lot of PC gamers to change their ways. Although Console piracy could be bigger? the effects of it are not seen as much because of the number of people that have these cnosoles

Its very obvious that there were thousands of GR players that didn't have real copies of the game. GR was a huge game and the community was the best I have participated in, but that doesn't matter if the game never made enough money for further development of the Series.

View Post

That may very well be.

But I'll bet I know of just as many people using and/or providing pirated copies of X-BOX(most popular pirated console game), and PS2(#2), as there are PC games.

Bottom line is the software companies want the fast money which is in consoles, even though they can't build a lasting franchise out of console games like they can a good PC game that can be modded and build a dedicated community to keep it alive.

The 'PC gamers are a bunch of pirates' argument just doesn't wash anymore. And anymore, it's actually easier to pirate a console game that requires no registration, than it is a PC game with all the reg processes and anti-piracy algorithms in place today.

They really need to find a new argument, because that one is a lousy excuse for one.

#26 element11

element11

Pointman - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:35 AM

Seriously, I don't think the game wasn't released because of piracy issues. If that's the reason, then that means we'll never see another PC game from Ubi again.

View Post

I also dont think the game wasnt released because of piracy issues. Because they did not release it for pc, they would be losing sales. The piracy rate may be high, but UBI still would get more money if they released it for consoles and PC, rather than just for the console. More platforms = more sales. ubi=stupid liars :)
Posted Image Posted Image
element11 Modworks | SWAT v1.2 | The Great War Total Conversion Mod
"Is everybody in? Is everybody in? The celebration is about to begin."

#27 GR_Modder

GR_Modder

Scout - 1st Class

• GR.net Supporter
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:49 AM

How many people can you think of with modded Xboxes?

I, Personally, can't think of anyone. Playing copied games on an Xbox requires a mod chip. I know there is also another method called soft-modding, but that's beside the point. Both methods require time, effort, and, especially in the mod chip case, require opening up your Xbox and installing the chip. Also, with soft-modding, you need to own a specific game and you need to make a fancy contraption to hook up a USB disk to an Xbox. Also, if you plan on keeping more than 1 or 2 games on your Xbox at a time, you'll need to shell out cash for a bigger hard drive.

Basicly, the Xbox IS a more secure platform till a point, because most people don't want to risk issues with the Xbox and voided warranties, and shell out the cash for a bigger hard drive and mod chip, and get all the supplies nessicary. But, after they get the mod chip and hard drive, they can simply borrow games from friends and copy them onto their Xbox, or Download them off the internet and then FTP them to their Xboxes.

But, with the PC's, a pirated copy of a game is simply a google away. Along with [Thing that should not be spoken of here] and any hacks that you could ever need.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users