First weapon model

swartsz

@Ruin, i have used a Ngon on the foregrip, what do you think of it now, should i make it round or leave as it is?

Looks much better.

Altohugh IMO the top looks funny being lat like that... but I guess that's the gun! :)

It looks great.

Now, add a magazine and a tac-scope and it's good to go!

tnx for the great replies, not know about the stock being oval, looks pretty round on the pics that i have, keeping it as it is now.

for the poly count, last time i checked it was 1532, but i don't know what a acceptable count is for a gun, maybe some of you know?

I would MOD a few weapons too, but I just don't have the patience!

LOL, well, i don't have a lot of patience either, it helps when you got something you can hit really hard when working on the model and something goes wrong. :D

a couple of questions, i am following Pains' tutorial videos but the side of the weapon with the brass ejector also shows up on the other side of the gun, how do i correct this?

and Pain also speaks of making your textures in a file with the size of 256 x 256, is it possible to make this bigger, or is possible to use 2 rsb files for the skin?

Edited by swartsz

1) you either need to find a pic of the left side of the weapon or make one by covering the ejector port, cover, forward assist, etc up in a graphic editing program like photoshop. Then open up your model and spin it so the left side is facing you. Select the receiver portion of your model, hit EditMesh, and select subobject Polygon. Now left-click on the receiver again & hit "m" to select and apply a new material to the left side.

2) You can have every material spot in the material editor filled with textures if you need to. I texture my model pieces individually - it is easier for me that way even though Pain's method might be better :)

As you know i have been making my model using the Pain's tutorial videos, but it doesn't explain what files and folders you need to make to see your gun ingame, can anyone point me to a tutorial about this subject or explain what i need to do to get my model in GR?

As far as the textures, they need to be in multiples of 2. That's the rSB requirement.

So I suggest you resize them before you continue texturing.

Getting it in game is a tedious process.

Try this site for exporting details.

What you'll need in the end is: .qob, .rsb, .gun, .kit and maybe a few others...

tnx Ruin for the tips, got everything working and here it is, the first ingame shot of the model, although it still needs some work, like the hand placement and some minor texture problems plus i am having big problems with the muzzle flash, i think it turned out well.

scr1.jpg

scr2.jpg

i am a happy man right now :D:D

Edited by swartsz

wow, those are some of the best M-4 modles I have seen for a while, a few notes though ...

The whole model looks a little small next to the person

does the gun model you are referancing from have RIS bars on the side of the handgrip/heatshield as well as on the top and bottom, most do.

The front sling attachment looks bent around the handgrip

do love the modle, the backup iron sight on the back is great, good detail!

CLARK

Edited by Viper

Looks great Swartz. You might want to scale it up about 10%,but that's your call buddy. I would suggest attaching muzzle and tac-light lense textures to the model via the same way I described texturing the left side of the receiver. The rifle sling point looks to be part of the texture, not part of the model...you may or may not want to model it seperately in the future.

On a side note,

Most of the military M4A1's I have seen do not have rails on the side of the heat shield. On a flattop receiver with 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock heatshield rails there is more than enough room for designators, tac light, & optics.

Edited by ReconSnake

thx ReconSnake, i think i am going to leave it as it is at the moment, not sure yet, you may be right about the upscaling, but it is looking good ingame.

actually, the flashlight has a texture, but i may replace it with something better, i admit it doesn't look that good. and you are right about the muzzle texture, forgot it completely in my fury to get the thing in GR.

you're also right about the sling, it is part of the texture, but i am going to leave it, maybe on next models i will try to model it seperatly.

also got the handplacement right, i think. have a look

scr3.jpg

well, you could put an ACOG on that M-4, then it would be a model worthy of dowload as a single-weapon mod IMO - but more combinations would be good, like a reflex sight, or a TWS would be cool, like a AN/PAS-14 or something. a forward handgrip would also be a nice touch.

CLARK

yes, Viper you are absolutly right, i was thinking about adding some cool things to the model myself, but i am having some trouble finding good pictures of stuff i can add to the model, can't even find a good picture of a scope.

maybe some of you guys and girls can point me in the right direction? :D

One pointer is to sink the mount for the scope downward, so it looks roughly like this:

http://562.50megs.com/GR/Rifle.jpg

Also, you can make endcaps by making circles, extruding, then sizing it down to the thickness (or thinness to be more exact), placing it where needed to add to the effect. The battery location varies, but right handed would have it on the upper left (I have an Aimpoint myself). BTW, where did you get the texture for the flashlight? I need to improve mine....

Edited by EricJ

Try to set the barrel in, along with the flash and scope, like so...

likethis.jpg

and to do so, u edit mesh, gar the point in the middle of your barrel, and drag it into the barrel, then what i do is create another cylinder, the same, or just a little less than diameter of the barrel, and move that piece into the barrel, thats howu do it, and the it goes the same for ur flash, and aimpoint. if this is unclear, let me know.