Serpentine Dream Theory (dev and playtest thread)

MrMoon

Hello I'm pleased to announce that my mini TC Serpentine Dream Theory is ready for play testing.

Features.

Four mission single player campaign (missions playable in co-op as well)

New skins/textures/sounds/music etc.

Various texture/sound/model contributions from the community.

I require feedback through testing the playtest version of the mod available here. https://www.mediafire.com/?p8y75gcg5rbbuw9

Once missions have been thoroughly polished additional work such as intro/outro video can be completed.

Screens from the first mission 'The dark horseman'

http://chaosad20xx.blogspot.co.uk/

Credits (wip)

rl fletcher -textures
UKSF - textures etc
heroes unleashed-models textures
phlookian - vehicles
apex mods vehicles textures
paranoia ost-music
28 weeks later ost-music
soulfly-music

tinker- attachment's
deftones-music
hanzel und gretyl -music
DTD no easy day team- various bits
m4_sopmod_mod- weapons

Edited by MrMoon

Thanks guys let us know what you think ;)

The credits are of course wip, my heart actually stopped for a second after I uploaded it and realized the creds needed a serious update but things like that can be done after the missions themselves have been polished up.

I played the first two missions without any CTD . All objectives were completed and extractions worked.

I tested with teamsuperman on otherwise it would take a long time and many attempts to test.

Look forward to playing straight up with no cheats.

Very solid intense missions. Fantastic job on re-skinning characters and attachments.

The only minor suggestion is in the briefing text for mission one and it is very minor.

When listing the objectives by number insert a {p} in front of number 1.

...{p} Mission:You will be inserted into eastern Syria by covert means, infiltrate the valley the facility is based in and carry out the following objectives.insert {p} here1:Plant demolition charges on the primary production floor in the central area....

Would make it easier to read.

Didn't notice any spelling errors in the briefings so far.

IKE.log had only the usual errors i.e. such as FindFile could not find file lighthalo_effect3.rsb etc.

By usual errors I mean present in the log regardless of what mods are activated.

I'll test the last two when I have more time. Great job!

Mission 3 froze at the loading screen. Was balky when choosing soldiers in Platoon Setup screen as well.

From the ike.log:

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file v_t-80b_glass.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file v_zil-131_window.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file camera_lens.tga

SOUND: Uninitialized:

This is usually a vehicle tagging issue in 3dsmax. Does not cause freezing or CTD. I think there is a simple fix not requiring 3dsmax.

Just can't remember it. Only harm this entry does is writing allot of lines to the log. Well over a thousand in some cases.

Edit:

Tried mission four and was almost done testing when game CTD.

Ike.log:

Loading map c:\program files (x86)\red storm entertainment\ghost recon\mods\serp\map\mp09_sundocks\mp09_sundocks.map
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_1a has no muzzle flash helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_1a has no camera offset helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_1b has no muzzle flash helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_1b has no camera offset helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_1c has no muzzle flash helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_1c has no camera offset helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_2a has no muzzle flash helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_2a has no camera offset helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_2b has no muzzle flash helper point.
SimGun: Gun node base_intel_2b has no camera offset helper point.
SimGun: Gun node pen_intel_1a has no muzzle flash helper point.
SimGun: Gun node pen_intel_1a has no camera offset helper point.
SimGun: Gun node pen_intel_2a has no muzzle flash helper point.
SimGun: Gun node pen_intel_2a has no camera offset helper point.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file buzz_gordon_desert.chr
RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file buzz_gordon_a_desert.chr
RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file buzz_gordon_b_desert.chr
RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file buzz_gordon_head_blink_desert.rsb
RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file buzz_gordon_head_desert.rsb

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file v_torm1d0.anm

_Buzz Gordon: I'M STUCK AT <185.421, -100.444, 12.6934>CTD right here when bumping up a against a rail car.

NW pier, about even with middle of destroyer ship but on the pier. NW corner of D8 if you have grids on your command map.

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file v_torm1d0.anm

Edited by wombat50

Ah balls. Thanks wombat knew I wouldn't get away with it that easily will get to work fixing this right away. Edit: Ive made a few changes hopefully this will fix the issues. The camera model/texture seems to be causing many of the ike entries, if this does not fix the issue I may have to remove it.

https://www.mediafire.com/?p8y75gcg5rbbuw9

Edited by MrMoon

I'll retry mission 4 as it could have been a one time thing.

Nothing in the ike.log entries I posted about mission 4 normally cause a CTD.

Mission 3:

v_t-80b_glass.rsb and v_zil-131_window.rsb are not in the Serp texture folder.

These are textures the ike.log found missing.

Copied a couple textures from the same folder and renamed them v_t-80b_glass.rsb and v_zil-131_window.rsb.

I fire up mission 3 and no CTD. I haven't played the whole mission yet but at least it gets in to the game.

Hi wombat are you referring to the updated link or the old one?

Referring to post #10 before the edit.

Regards to post#9 and the log entry for mission 3

"RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file camera_lens.tga"

Maybe try it as an .rsb? Just strange to me the ike.log is looking for a .tga.

Edited by wombat50

What is the model name that is using the .tga. I'll have a poke around if nothing else.

Completed mission three with all objectives met and extraction completed.

Map looks very convincing as a Syrian city with the lighting and texture changes made.

Tanks look real good too. Usually the stock textures are so dark there is no detail to the them.

Looks great and the mission is very hard and intense.

Had one minor problem. After the drone spotted some HTV's

the map icons for the ghosts and hostages disappeared off the command map.

Have never seen that one. Started the mission and they were visible but after the drone

they disappeared.

Thanks for the help wombat your feedback has been really helpful.

The model in question is 'el_camera.qob'

Cheers glad you enjoyed the mission and all the modifications I made to the vehicles and map. I did however use valdez's sun city as a base (mainly for the brighter lighting) so I can't take all the credit ;)

Hmm that's a weird one I didn't see, well spotted I will get to work on fixing that.

Thanks again for all your help wombat.

el_camera.qob

edit: Sorry having trouble with MediaFire. I'll try to upload later.

edit: Tried again today to download my own upload but I get an error.

I opened the .qob file with Mike Schell's skinner 1.1

I think the 1.0 version did only .chr files.

Anyways el_camera.qob has 2 materials assigned.

They were camera.bmp and camera_lens.tga

Serp texture folder had a camera.rsb and camera.lens.rsb so I assigned those to the model and saved.

The link at the top is the result.

In case I have screwed it up, make a backup of what you have before adding this new .qob file to the model folder.

Edited by wombat50

Hi Riley silly question but have you tried re-downloading it?

Thanks twcrash you can download the garden of death from the blog. I'm waiting to see if ofpec will be fixed so I can upload a newer version of it but right now it looks like another nail in ofps coffin has been hammered in :(

Hi Riley silly question but have you tried re-downloading it?

Thanks twcrash you can download the garden of death from the blog. I'm waiting to see if ofpec will be fixed so I can upload a newer version of it but right now it looks like another nail in ofps coffin has been hammered in :(

Just do what most of us are doing and setup a Google drive account they give you 15 gogs for free and it works pretty well.

Played through a good part of 01 today. I really liked the mission and I'm looking forward to finishing it the next time I play.

-In the briefing, there are several points where you forgot to put in spaces. For example, Overview:Alright gentlemen...

-There is no marker on the world map showing the mission location.

-The music made me want to curl up and die when I was selecting my kits.

-The sniper and support expert didn't have any new kits. If you aren't planning on adding any, that's okay. If all of your missions are going to be these close quarter environments, maybe you could replace the sniper kits with marksman loadouts (high-caliber rifles with lower powered scopes).

-The M203 needs a quicker stabilization time and more rounds. I should be able to pull off quick shots just a couple seconds after switching from my rifle to the grenade launcher. Twelve rounds would probably be better.

-I don't see the point in putting "loud" pistols with suppressed rifles. I would remove those kits and just have SD rifle + SD pistol and non-SD rifle + non-SD pistol.

-The enemies seem very weak as far as how many rounds I can put into them before getting a kill. I don't recall shooting any of them more than once with my M4, which is not as much fun and not really realistic when I'm hitting them in the feet or hands.

-The enemies are also very accurate which is even more noticeable because of the close quarters style combat. I would make most of their weapons fully automatic, increase their recoil and stabilization time, and decrease their accuracy. That would allow for more close calls when you step around a corner and get sprayed at by a tango.

-I loved picking up the intel. Only one thing I noticed was that I didn't pick up all of the documents from the office floor.

-How do you have the alarm set up? I only had one instance when I thought it went off when it shouldn't -- I had breached the office door and shot both men inside but they still managed to set off the siren. The rest of the time I found it just right -- if I was smart, I could make my way through the hallways and take out the guards stealthily.

-There are no markers on the in-game map showing me where to place demo charges. This is going to frustrate a lot of forgetful players.

Very nice mission. It's simple, straightforward, and allows for a tactical approach even with AI teammates.