Joining The Military

Guest Jester

@Collis

When i joined the Navy I was 6'4" and a whopping 125lbs, soaking wet with rocks in both pockets. I looked like I would need ski's to just take a shower to prevent myself from failing down the drain. I made it through Boot and went on to enjoy my time in. But XS raises some very valid points. Don't expect things to be as rosey as your recruiter may make them out to be. That is not to say it will be a terrible experience. I think serving your country by being in the military is the greatest honour and privledge one can have no matter which branch you serve in. Like you mentioned you have time to get yourself into a physical condition that will make Boot Camp a little easier. But don't expect it to be a cake walk.

Unless you join the Airforce..... ;)

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

I swore in for the Marine Corps this past Thursday, I ship out on 12/29. (Can't wait!)

Getting into good physical shape won't be a problem for ya as long as you stay at it. Oh, and start running now ;) .

Me, I couldn't do 2 pullups just last month. But I'm already up to 10, with 5 months to go. Just set goals for yourself.

My old man said he was 125 lbs when he left for bootcamp at 16. When he graduated, he was 2 inches taller and 180 lbs.

For starters:

Push-ups are always good (they build up the stabilizing muscles). Curls and presses. Lat pull-downs(do regular and reverse grip). Try building hangs into your workout to alternate with pull-ups (do a pull up, then hold in the elevated position for as long as you can).

This is a great thread. To all those who are considering going in it will be the most memoriable and rewarding thing you could ever do. I myself am a US Army vet with 10 years service ( Combat Engineer). I traveled the world and am a Gulf War veteran. I have and will never regret the choice I made when I was 17 to enlist. The rewards are just as great when you leave the service, for instance, I was able to buy a home with the assistance from the VA. You have also the services within the unemployment offices through the VA to assist you to find a job once you leave the service. Also you become part of a community that is special. I once worked a job where all the management where Marines. They hired me because,for one, I was a vet. So for those who are considering going in do it, you'll be glad you did!

US Army 87-97

Basic/AIT Ft Leonard Wood MO

Cco 7th Engr Bn Ft Polk LA

Cco,Bco, HHC 317th Engr Bn Camp Eschborn Germany, Ft Benning Ga

5 month deployment to (Desert Storm/Shield) with the 317th

HHC 2nd Engr Bn Camp Castle, Korea

Cco 14th Engr Bn Ft Lewis Wa

Edited by Riptide USVN

Hey, what happened to the guys that started this thread and the ones who had a LOT of good info like Jester, WhiteKnight, (you) Soto, and you too RS. It's very appreciated, not to mention motivating! Especially for guys like me who've enlisted and are awaiting bootcamp. :)

Edited by DeepRecon 0321

Like Phantom I too was quarenteed my MOS as you will. Rather for me it was a guaranteed "A" School in my case. This was a training school for my particular "Rate" in the US Navy. Again it's the same principle just a matter of symantics really.

In my case I graduated in the top 5% of my class and was then awarded an advanced school called a "C" School. Got in the top 10 in that one. That class started out with 30 students and was knocked down through attrition to 10. I was number 9. In the Navy (No comments you two, you know who you are!) the A and C schools are colledge level courses with the C schools having somewhat higher standards for graduation. How I made it through my C school I don't know but it had to be divne intervention! :blink:

Stout Hearts

Warhawk