Which Boots do I go for?

Zeealex

What Boots?  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love Magnum boots, but i've sort of outgrown my old classics not to mention they have a HUGE gash in them and they squeak when I walk on certain surfaces. highly annoying <_<

So i decided to look around, i've got a slight bit of money, from getting rid of some old stuff i don't need anymore, started browsing around and spotted 3 pairs of Magnum lovelies i liked.

1st candidate, Magnum Panther 8.0 boots:

2159-1.jpg

Pros:

zip entry over laces, comfortable (according to reviews) good looking, versatile, tough.

Cons:

at that particular price, once they are gone they are gone.

2nd Candidate, Magnum Classics (loved them before):

Magnum%20Classic.jpg

Pros:

Had them Before, comfortable, versatile, good looking, hard wearing, tough.

Cons:

no zipper, the leather cracks at the back quite easily.

3rd Candidate:

Magnum Amazon/Scorpion British Army Boots, desert:

magnum_Scorpion_desert_boot.jpg

magnum-amazon-5-tactical-boot.jpg

Pros:

Reliable, tough, good looking, versatile, comfortable at long distances.

Cons:

No zipper, not sure if the particular ones are surplus or new they will be a ###### to keep clean.

OR i could wait it out a couple of months and get these, Magnum Elite Spider 8.0s:

19162.jpg

Pros:

AMAZINGLY good looking (to me) ventilation is always a bonus, good traction on the sole, versatile, reliable.

Cons:

not waterproof, no zipper

I'll be using them for general day to day life, as well as long distance walking, running and light climbing, I don't mind getting another pair of Magnum Classics, knowing how good they were, I remember how bouncy the Classics were when i got them, they still are now :bounce: it's just the Gash, the size and the squeakiness that's forcing them into the cupboard :P

but i would like to venture out a little, think outside the box but i really can't make my mind up over them i like all of them, Especially the Elite Spider 8.0 been eying them up for AGES.

Magnum do the best looking Tac/Work Boots Apart from Oakley, But Oakley are Ridiculously expensive unless they are Fakeleys.

I thought maybe a pair (or more) of impartial fresh eyes would help make up my mind :wacko:

Edited by Zeealex

Zee,...

Personally I have similar shoes like your '3rd candidate' and I love them. Mine do have a zipper and unfortunately that broke. Since the zipper broke and can't be repaired, I'd say that would be a definite con, but hey...I love them so much that I am going to buy new ones. And sure,..they get dirty, but you do wear them right?!

Besides that, don't you think that you should be the one that decides which clothes, or in this case shoes, you should buy/wear? Does the opinion of others matter that much? I hope not! :unsure:

I would think that you already have a favorite and I would go from there. :thumbsup:

nice advice spik@ :thumbsup: i suppose you are right, dirt shows that they are well worn, and if the zipper does break that would be annoying and render them useless.

i just needed some aid to my decision, i do like the Elite Spider 8.0, but do you know how much it rains in this country? :rofl: lack of waterproofing is a deal breaker, although great looking, i need practicality, that's what is stopping me from getting them, plus I'm an impatient Annie at the best of times XD

Edited by Zeealex

i just needed some aid to my decision, i do like the Elite Spider 8.0, but do you know how much it rains in this country? :rofl: lack of waterproofing is a deal breaker, although great looking, i need practicality

How about a pair of wellies? :shifty:

Perhaps you should make your decision based on how practical they are? I like to wear shoes which I like, as in 'how they look'. Make them divert prying eyes from my ugly mug. :rolleyes:

Leather is more easy to clean and you can maintain it better. A zipper, although easy when putting them off and on, can also break. Laces can be easily replaced. Leather is also (more) waterproof than canvas/suede ones.

nice way to narrow it down there :thumbsup: so it's just a case of deciding if the panthers honestly have that much over the classics, the zipper is an added bonus if i quickly need to slip into them, but like you said, they break.

Just done some research and you can get Panther 8.0 boots with no zip too :) well, i suppose it'll be the panthers in the winning streak here, but the classics are nanometers behind if the panthers are out of stock, it's the classics me thinks :)

@riley, do you mean Amazon?

Edited by Zeealex

Please define "light climbing".

I own 2 pairs of boots dedicated to climbing and mountaineering, 4 pairs of proper climbing shoes, and one pair of "approach" shoes, which are what you might call "light climbing" shoes.

More importantly, high quality boot soles don't really jive well with pavement. Consider that while they may fit your ideal self-image, tactical boots are complete over-kill for day-to-day wear, unless your day-job requires actual tactical movement.

I have to actively resist getting the slickest light-hiker approach shoes for day-to-day wear, because I wear them out inside a year, doing very little of what they are designed for.

Please define "light climbing".

climbing large rocks and trees, there is usually a quick terrain change after said activity, so versatility is a requirement, it is only on the odd occasion, i found out the hard way with tactical boots and Pavement, i forgot the brand, but the soles wore down quite quickly but that could be the quality, it's taken absolutely AGES for the Classics i have to even start showing signs of wear on the bottom, they've only worn away at the back but that's due to this thing i do with my feet from time to time, not to say the Panthers or the Elite Spiders will be the same, but it gives a small indication of the wear down time.

I understand where you are coming from though, i'll give myself some time to think on it more.

I worked around the house for some more money, and i am now £2.65 away from the Elite Spider 8.0 Boots, after more research i found that they were water RESISTANT they just can't deal with flood type puddles, and are built on a running shoe platform, which is PERFECT for what I'm after, so! in about a week's time, they will be mine...