Blackfoot Studios

Slightly off topic but..................Has everyone just suddenly forgotten about Blackfoot Studios and what they are trying to do for all of us pc warriors ?

I for one, will shortly be supporting this fine group of people working for us with a monetary donation as should we all, as this is the future of gaming......not UBI.

If its good, I will buy it...assuming it has no DRM of course, otherwise they can whistle for my money as it will go elsewhere.

I for one will NOT buy any title that has the crappy DRM on it however good it is or subscribe on a montly pay basis just to be able to play online, such as the new Star Trek online game.

If its better than GRAW and GRAW 2 and has no DRM then I will buy it......simple as.

Time will tell.

CJ

[Admin Edit: No that was totally O/T for that particular thread - Posts split & Moved to correct forum for BFS/GB discussion)]

Someone can correct me if I am mistaken, but I think John was lucky enough to get a really good job he was excited to take up, which put all the BFS projects on hold, or at least into reduced progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

As you are no doubt already aware if you follow it, it is just not sufficiently advanced enough yet (and is unlikely to be for some considerable time) for us to even consider setting up a specific sub-forum for it.

When and if it ever progresses to the point where it is actually considered a viable releasable game we will Of course consider creating a sub-forum for it based on the level of discussion and interest from our forum membership.

Currently the majority of discussion is and will continue to be over at the BlackFoot Studio forums, with any newsworthy events/advances reported as new threads or continuing posts here.

• 7 months later...

Or, twcrash has no idea what he's talking about. That couldn't be the case, could it?

or I know what I am talking about and your a fool for believing in them. I even stated a few years back DNF would be released before GB and holy ######.. THAT actually happened. So I guess ANYTHING is possible I mean Duke Nukem took a decade or so maybe GB is doing the same. You keep drinking that KoolAid I'll keep my money. They whined they couldn't afford to pay for a engine like 3 times or so but UDK is free. The Source SDK is now free so what is their excuse? these aren't powerful enough?

Edited by twcrash

or I know what I am talking about and your a fool for believing in them. I even stated a few years back DNF would be released before GB and holy ######.. THAT actually happened. So I guess ANYTHING is possible I mean Duke Nukem took a decade or so maybe GB is doing the same. You keep drinking that KoolAid I'll keep my money. They whined they couldn't afford to pay for a engine like 3 times or so but UDK is free. The Source SDK is now free so what is their excuse? these aren't powerful enough?

Having an engine is only a small part of the process of making a video game. You have to model all the objects in the game, then texture them, then there is coding, scripting, storyboarding, beta testing etc. It is a long process for even a big team, never mind a self funded small team.

I still think GB is way way too big to accomplish and that BFS should lower their aims. Making a small modular semi realistic online shooter would be more beneficial for them in the long term but they have ideals, which you have to admire.

well Paladin I dont agree especially when I see what small modding teams can do with a title and an idea and a 3rd the time that BFS has been at it.

I mean look at things like Neo Tokyo, Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead, Insurgency,Red Orchestra,Project Reality,Team Fortress,Urban Terror,True Combat Elite,Desert Combat and the list goes on and on. Various engines and teams doing great things. Maybe they got in over their heads but I watched the forums for years and always seen what they were supposedly working on to be shown only Photoshopped pictures and a generic map fly through. The last post of news on GB was April 2010, before that April 2009.They show very basic incomplete items that never seem to get an update as to how they are coming along. Landscape looked great but wheres the update? can we see a building? Do you think that UI looks good? Seriously? I mean come on are you really gonna say they are working on anything at all?

They are all mostly MP only which is alot easier than a SP/MP combination. But you do have a point. GB has taken too long and it will probably never see the light of day. But as I said before I think main rason for this was that the idea behind Ground Branch was far too grand. A MP only tactical shooter with some new elements, a few maps and some solid animations sold for $4.99 would have been more realistic ( or at least it seems that way to an inexperienced person like myself ) and probably profitable.

I suggested that one time on the forums but was firmly told that I was wrong and that GB was gona be the holy grail of tactical shooters. BFS got caught up in the hype and desire for a great shooter in the Ghost Recon mould. That hype was further fed by the community. Nobodies fault, it just happens and is fairly understandable. In fact I got caught up in the hype, with me donating money to BFS as well. I don't feel cheated by that, I just feel that's life.

I like the owner though. He's a decent guy who really has the best interests of the community at heart. Maybe if he had not been as close to the community, things might have been different.

• 8 months later...

Still here guys! Never left, but sometimes you need to take on outside contracts to stay afloat or things don't go as originally planned. Some people may not realize that BFS has been part of various projects done for the U.S. Military over the last couple of years. The Air Force and SOCOM to be exact.

Suffice to say, things have actually been moving forward and making lots of progress over the past 4 months and we will be doing some major updates to the BFS site and with Ground Branch very soon. I have always said that I would not make a major public push until there was something very tangible and worth presenting in it's entirety ready. It's been a long and dirty road, but we are just about there. :thumbsup: