ZSU-23-4 - Shilka

So I've got Blakarion's Shilka from his OpFor vehicle pack and am trying to get it to work like a Howitzer. I've got it set like this:

<VehicleFile>

<VersionNumber>1.000000</VersionNumber>

<Type>2</Type>

<ModelName>zsu.pob</ModelName>

<WeaponCount>1</WeaponCount>

<Weapon WeaponType = "0" WeaponFilename = "zsugun.gun"/>

<BodyMass>3000</BodyMass>

<WheelMass>300</WheelMass>

<SuspensionStrength>500</SuspensionStrength>

<Acceleration>2</Acceleration>

<Deacceleration>1</Deacceleration>

<TopSpeed>100</TopSpeed>

<TurningSpeed>180.000000</TurningSpeed>

</VehicleFile>

I have my AA guns set as Howitzers so they shoot into the distance when I put them on Destroy Target with no target. I want it to keep shooting the MG (zsugun) in a random direction, but it just sits there and stares. Seems it has to be a projectile to work. Any way I can do this, I really like this model but it is useless unless it can shoot the MG into the distance.

Might not work but I think you are on to something. I might be able to give it a target and it will fire the MGs at it.....I remember something a long time ago where I had a team try to destroy a tank but forgot to give them ATs -- may have been coincidence but I think they tried to shoot at it with small arms. I'll try that out.

Had any luck here?

I did something similar in a mission. I wanted a patrolling tank to fire in a random direction covering a ridge line. I used an actor dummy, basically a actor with transparent skin so he could not be seen, made him invincible. Then randomly teleported him to an effect in the areas I wanted the tank to fire at, keeping him inside the spotting range of course. Worked well.

Just had a look at it in game. Yeah it only has a MG mounted, that does not work like the cannon fire at random direction. Only thing you can do is predict where you want it to fire. Player platoon in zone x/y/z do not teleport dummy to effects x/y/z. Would of been great to have it act like the big guns for sure.

• 8 months later...

Well perhaps the shilka could concentrate its fire upon the actor that you could make a transparent rsb or something with, and then when the tank spots the player it switches its fire onto the on coming ghosts?

Question is can you spawn an actor in the air and have him stay there? Ive never tried myself.

Wait..... human tower of invisible actors!! Yes!

Hmm not sure maybe ghost recon is too limited for this kind of thing :/

If there was a way of having a separate heli with a separate heli sound you could mute it. But no Idea how you would do that in ghost recon :/.

Ok I know this is most likely getting beyond the trouble its worth but does your mission feature any helicopters in it already?

If not I think with some modified sound and rsb files you may actually get this working.

Although you may also have to put up with close by npcs trying to shoot down the fake aircraft with their small arms.

But depending on the training of the opfor that could be acceptable ;)

Ok I know this is most likely getting beyond the trouble its worth

I would say so :P

does your mission feature any helicopters in it already?

What mission? This topic was about Texas Militia which was released quite awhile ago <_<

If not I think with some modified sound and rsb files you may actually get this working.

Maybe, but then all helicopters would be muted just for the sake of a machine gun firing in the air that may or may not work. Hardly worth it in my opinion :hmm:

Anyway, this doesn't really matter unless you or someone else is interested in this, MrMoon. I already finished the mission that I need this feature in a long time ago and I am done working on any large mod projects. Thanks for the help and good advice though :)