Cryengine 3 UDK

pz3

Hey I know everyone is diving into UDK for Takedown but don't forget the CryEngine 3 UDK is still out there! :P

It just got updated in december and the next realease should add the last remaining features needed.

Played around in it for a few hours today. Trying to make a afghan type style map. Not to shabby first go. Using textures from the example levels. I'll be setting up my own soon though.

ce3d.jpg

I love CE3, export from 3DS is a pain for it though. but that' s probably me being a wolly

I've made huge maps in the past for it, which makes the computer really slow, but I think Cryengine has the better lighting, and the higher quality models and CE3 has the more practical example models that come with the SDK.

but yeah to me it is the superior engine, I don't see why devs aren't using it more.

Nice work so far, I'd love to see more from you :D

I love CE3, export from 3DS is a pain for it though

Export is actually really easy, you just have to know how to set models up in max for it. Using layers can help keep the model organized before export as well. Use the crytek material and keep your mesh clean without errors. It comes out as.

model: .cgf (with lods, and collision proxies)

textures: cry .tif (auto converts to a variety of textures)

material: cryek .mtl

place it in the engine and your good to go.

I watched a video from one of them developers and he explained it well but made it sound more confusing then it really is. Some people tend to do that in their video tutorials. Somethings in the editor are still a little buggy but not to bad.

One thing that drives me nuts is the time of day. It automatically sets a key point anytime you edit something by the numbers. If you dont use the flow graph it is really a pain in the butt.

As far as more work from me goes. I'll be making a little video after I get some props done. I should be able to knock them all out today hopefully and have a bit more to show off soon.

Edited by pz3

I'm sure export probably is really easy and smooth once I know what's what, but at the moment I keep getting that shared vert co-ordinates error on mine, no matter what I do. Then it doesn't select the damn vertices like the button says it will, absolute pain in the crack! I don't see why the shared vertices are an issue anyhow :huh:

it would be nice if the exporter did something more productive on that end of the spectrum.

otherwise, I've been able to export things from 3ds to Sketchup and then from Sketchup to Cryengine without much of a problem so it's not too bad I suppose.

I suppose it doesn't help with me trying to walk before I can crawl :P

can't wait to see your map.

Edited by Zeealex

Sounds like you have 1 vertex lost in a model. It could be inside a polygon or floating in free space. STL check doesnt always seem to find them. I ran across that issue already once. Im willing to bet if you export/reimport that the 3ds file will fix the error.

It almost seems like sometimes verticies get deleted and still remain in the file without being displayed.

I was recording this project im working on and making a multi-video tutorial for it. When I found quiet a few new errors in 3d studio itself. So it might have something to do with that error as well. I patched it and if I see it again I'll look for a solution.

This level is being created in similare fashion to a lot of the places I've been in afghanistan. It should look really good. I even have a photo archive to work with. :)

Edited by pz3

Sounds like you have 1 vertex lost in a model. It could be inside a polygon or floating in free space. STL check doesnt always seem to find them. I ran across that issue already once. Im willing to bet if you export/reimport that the 3ds file will fix the error.

aha! thanks for the info I'll try that export reimport suggestion :D

otherwise, great work! me likey. maybe some little trenches and mudhuts? :P

See the last cryengine I used was back in 2007. CE2. It was like a mix of farcry(CE1) and this CE3 engine. Naturally I have a learning curve to tackle but its been a great learning experience.

Learning how to balance out my textures, including diffuse, displacements, and normal maps.

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/5412/displacement.jpg

(btw the conversion from bmp to jpg makes it look off)

*update* so I dont keep posting over and over.

http://youtu.be/0Xp9cjOOMQk

Edited by pz3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so im really starting to get the hang of this editor. Getting colors and themeing just the way I want it. I've read almost half of the documentation in the online guide. Its becoming really fun. I even adjust how fast I can run, walk, and how far over I can peak left and right. :P

some pics of the level I was playing around on most recently. This was made to resemble the original FarCry game.

farcry3p.jpg

farcry4.jpg

farcry1y.jpg

Hey I know everyone is diving into UDK for Takedown but don't forget the CryEngine 3 UDK is still out there! :P

Sorry, a little confused with the terminology here. Takedown is on unreal, thus uses UDK. CryEngine 3 is just CryEngine 3, so it presumably uses an SDK, right? Minor thing, I know, but I just wanted to make sure I understand what you're saying.

See the last cryengine I used was back in 2007. CE2. It was like a mix of farcry(CE1) and this CE3 engine. Naturally I have a learning curve to tackle but its been a great learning experience.

Learning how to balance out my textures, including diffuse, displacements, and normal maps.

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/5412/displacement.jpg

(btw the conversion from bmp to jpg makes it look off)

*update* so I dont keep posting over and over.

http://youtu.be/0Xp9cjOOMQk

Video removed?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry mate, I was in the process of reconstructing my youtube channel and dumped my old videos.

I created this one most recently but will be creating more. From start to finish I show you how I make a seamless diffuse, normal, and displacement map.
Programs needed are as follows:
-Photoshop CS5 (with nvidia plugins)
-Mudbox2013
-CryEngine 3 SDK
Part1
Part2
Part3

• 2 weeks later...