rough look at GR:FS

This is a comprehensive look at Ghost Recon:Future Soldier.

When the game released on the 26th (at my location via Amazon download), it was quickly apparent to me that the game was well from complete. It did run, I got it to work on all things, a laptop. Not exciting to say the least. so I'll begin with the game engine.

I'm not aware of the name of the games engine. So, I'll start off with the non in game aspects(menus, options). I heard ALOT about how this game requires a constant internet connection. Why Do I say this? if you have a wireless or wired internet connection, you can't run the game because, EVERYTHING runs through the Uplay launcher. as a side note, I read at Ubisoft forums that a rep for Ubisoft stated that updating the game will be compulsory. this bodes terribly because if a patch is released and a problem is found, many could lose all ability to play the game. But updating will takes place automatically soon.

When I got in game, I was greeted with a typical titel movie of ubisoft paris, ubisoft bucharest and ubisoft red storm. then you are brought to a screen of a soldier facing you and a "press any key" in order to continue. twice. once you get past those two bothersome screens, you'll end up and the main menu where multiplayer, campaign, guerrilla, options and exit game. inside the options menu, you'll find control options, graphic options and one other that slips my mind. I don't use everything. you can only change your resolution really but, you can toggle various DX11 features provided your graphics adaptor is DX11 capable. maneuvering through the menus can be a blessing and a curse if your system specs can't handle the games engine. From my experience, the games engine in terms of workload seems about what it was with GRAW/GRAW2. ** I also noted that during a service upgrade in my internet service that, I saw a great increase in the games responsiveness which leads me to believe that, this game is VERY intertwined with the internet. you need to have internet to launch the game and with the quadruple increase in my internet speed, The faster the internet you have, you too will also see an increase in your games responsiveness(input and general performance).

In game performance depends alot on your system specs as well. running campaign seemed for all tense and purposes, resource hungry. I noticed a huge difference between playing Guerrilla and Campaign. Guerrilla gameplay was alot smoother, probably since the map in Guerrilla is alot smaller then MP mode or campaign. The maps are really beautifully crafted and I can tell alot of time was taken to design them and they placed plenty of cover for hiding behind. On a side note, the days of Old Ghost Recon (2001) where the players had some decent open areas with long shots and short, the game play balance in that regard is missing. this iteration of the game seems more concerned with closed in areas like industrial areas or areas of an industrial nature. I haven't seen any truly open maps for those who like to snipe at long distances. It seems by my creating a host game and running around that, there are sniping possibilities, but just not of the high intensity conflict like I experienced during my military service.

Since the game was released with so many bugs, until Ubisoft stabilizes the game, noone can give any high marks for the game. Yeti error messages, mouse lag, inability to edit or remap keyboard keys and graphical issues cause this game to be unplayable on alot of peoples systems. This game is currently sitting at a shoddy console port but can be redeemed if Ubisoft corrects these and more issues. I also realized that after reading some other reviews, ones where the people are paid... that they also hit on something. The game incorporates splintercell Syncshots and melee take downs ala Sam fisher. So this game might not appeal to splintercell fans. But this game seems alot less tactical then say Advanced Warfighter. your camouflage only works when you move in a crouched manner which is sad.

Siege is the only game type available from the old ghost recon days and gone is the firefight or mission feature that many enjoyed. This leads me to believe that this is more an individual game rather than a team game. the game runs on a XP system that allows you to earn points to unlock weapons, weapons features like scopes, suppressors and more. This leads more individuals to run and gun to gain XP to unlock weapons, player classes and even maps. so the push to use teamwork isn't there because each player is more concerned with unlocking weapons and gaining the most kills. Although Ubisoft calls this a tactical shooter. "IF" Ubisoft were to add firefight and mission game types allowing for preoperational planning so everyone knows what their part of a mission is, that in itself MIGHT give some redeeming qualities to this game. Until then, this game is just Ubisoft's attempt at the Call of duty market share

I hesitate to give a high mark for this game so 2 out of 5 stars.

I will revisit this review after the patches and see where the game sits then Patch 1.3 is in a couple days and 1.4, a stability patch is behind it

fixed spelling

Edited by Papa6

I believe it uses the YETI game engine, also it says in that write up "the game requires a constant internet connection" but i'm sure there is an option to go in offline mode for campaign from the Uplay Launcher, does this not work?. I suppose the YETI game engine is not to everyones liking on the PC, but, i think it can look really good, i'm not an expert artist but i would say the colour / palette suits the over all level design, sure, the subdued shades and almost chalklike art will not be to everyones taste. I think some credit is noteworthy here for the artists handiwork (even if digitally done, hahaha! :)). It is a shame about the bugs and glitches for the PC version though. Here are some screenshots i took earlier which i think shows some good visuals whilst playing, this is PC version 1.1.120623.

futuresoldier2012070416.jpg

futuresoldier2012070417.jpg