How do YOU conduct CQB?

If there is one thing that terrifies me about the original Ghost Recon, it's the prospect of having to sweep interiors. The lack of chemical agents or flashbangs makes CQB harder than most games especially since enemies are likely to one-shot you if you aren't careful.

Pieing corners and using the lean function works well enough in most regards, though I found out the hard way that if you aren't quick to react to a threat you'll die within seconds. This is especially aggravating when interiors in later levels are relatively large and have patrolling guards on walkways.

CQB systems such as High Threat's surprisingly works well enough in Ghost Recon as doorways provide good cover against immediate threats. Using this system makes clearing small buildings a breeze and is generally much better than moving in quickly to engage threats. Especially when you're not playing coop.

• Like 2

I normally make sure all options are covered, in most cases, maybe not Ghost Recon, but I always make sure a marksman is covering the entr from outside the building, not necessarily for shooting purposes, but for intel too, if there's a target behind the door that the CQB team can't see but I can, as the marksman, I can relay that information to them, the people in the building would only be concerned with the immediate and direct threat to them, meaning that a CQB team can go in, and I can use well aimed, well timed fire to take down visible targets.

generally though, I myself tend to avoid CQB situations, if I've got no choice, I stack up, stop, look, listen: check my front check my side, check my rear, then listen, try to derive the approximate position of the assailant, then I attack.

in a team situation, I make sure the one with the highest probability of surviving a shot is the first to enter a room. We stack up on them, then move swiftly to clear a room.

Like blame, I take preference to silenced weapons, especially in larger buildings with more than one point of contact. At close range a suppressed 9mm is still pretty deadly.

• Like 1

Silenced firearms are pretty much a necessity for CQB situations since dynamic entries aren't very effective in this game. After all, Ghost Recon emphasizes on medium-to-long range engagements rather than close-quarters battle.

This is precisely why I love missions like Iron Dragon. It's open, has different routes to the objective, and the CQB section in the cave isn't drawn-out.

Since Ghost Recon isn't exactly SWAT 4 when it comes to CQB and I pretty much play alone, my approach may be rather gamey.

If I can take shots through windows without putting myself right in harm's way, I do take 'em. If there are multiple ways to enter, I tend to pick anything but the main entrance. This door gets covered by AI in case contact is made upon opening it. I position myself next to the door and wait a moment in order to pick up any noise. I open the door and either wait for my good people AI to kill bad people AI or I peek around the frame, ready to open fire. Stand up, make entry and try to sweep any corner where I would expect an enemy to hide. This way, I work myself from room to room.

My, err... "tactics", involve dying and quick loading. A lot. :rolleyes: Of course it helps to carry a handgun or anything else with short stabilisation time, preferrably with a suppressor. In case there is nobody to rescue or capture, portable boom-heat-shrapnel-generating devices might help also.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, CQB-compatible weapons are a must, e.g. silenced pistols, SMGs like the MP5 (ideal CQB weapon in my book), etc.

Then I order my teams to HOLD, so they don't wander around by themselves (too much), plus I set cover arcs for all of them to watch. Admittedly, it also requires some micro-management (soul-switching between characters) to align them properly e.g. for breaching.

For room entry, I place one team member on each side of the closed door (usually crouched), with a third guy maintaining some distance and good line of sight to the door opening, preferably behind some kind of cover or peeking around some corner.

Then of course it's pie-checking corners with slow and careful lean-and-peek, preferably with the shuffle key pressed at all times to make as little noise as possible.

CQB is a nerve-wrecking experience in GR, but once mastered, successful room-to-room clearing can be extremely satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

@nylekenIn

In OGR there aren't many options for CQB. As you've already mentioned, the game mostly focuses on outdoor combat at medium-long ranges and there are no special CQB tools like flashbangs or breaching charges.

In general, I try to avoid CQB by engaging the enemy from a direction they're not covering (e.g. through a window) or by lobbing grenades into the room. But if those aren't viable options, leaning around corners and covering open areas with teammates is about the best you can do. The problem with this is if the enemy covers the exact direction from which you'd approach, it can be near impossible to shoot him before he shoots you (I think the enemy's observance is even sharper in some mods like Frostbite). If that's the case, I think you can cause the enemy to turn in a different diretion by making noise (e.g. loud gunshots) in a position in that direction. Once the enemy faces a different direction, you can lean out and shoot or move and clear (maybe with teammates).

As for CQB firearms, I honestly think that just about anything can work, but I prefer rifles and shotguns (if you play with mods) for their firepower. I don't think suppressed weapons are necessary, but they may help in some situations.