The New Nvidia Physx Software & Graw 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding (no personal experience) that the PhysX acceleration can be run on a second Nvidia card -- no SLI support required. So you should be able to add a ~$50 256MB 8500 card to a non-SLI or even ATI based system (provided you have the spare PCI Express slot) and have a very reasonably priced PhysX solution.

I am sure there are people out there cranking away to benchmark the performance of these types of solutions, and I am certainly not one of them, not am I even trying to find their results :) However, I would not be surprised to find that a $50-75 GPU is outperforming the "real" Ageia hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure , yes to run GRAW 2 at all max settings + PhysX Extreme at higher resolutions youll need a powerful GPU. But the new driver also adds the possibility of using two cards even with a non-SLI capable MB,

You'd still have to have a mb with two pcix16 slots though right?

No not for the other card as a physics card.

You'd still have to have a mb with two pcix16 slots though right?

No not for the other card as a physics card.

I believe all the 8 series cards are 2.0/x16 so yeah, I believe that both of your slots have to be x16. I just asked the question because I can't think of many motherboards that have two pcix16 slots that aren't sli, but I hadn't thought of the ati boards like they brought up a few posts back.

I'd love to see the new additions in game myself since I'm sure the videos don't really do it justice, but I just can't invest the money into that yet.

I just asked the question because I can't think of many motherboards that have two pcix16 slots that aren't sli

Like the Intel Extreme Series motherboards.

I'd love to see the new additions in game myself since I'm sure the videos don't really do it justice, but I just can't invest the money into that yet.

Yeah, its really hard to make a high res video long and with high quality enough that can make justice to PhysX Extreme, since it is usually in the details, dust, debris, etc ..., just actually playing it youll have the real experience.

Its quite like the guru3d review :

"Loads of crap (debris) flying through the air again based on wind direction.

Also dust clouds, which might even be soft particle based, were moving over the ground.

Immediately the game got a little more immersive, though our framerate dropped a little overall, the experience is much richer than what we are used to.

There's just much more happening on that screen."

Edited by thales100

I haven't played any of these yet because I haven't put together a new gaming machine in a long time. I'll probably look into doing so around the end of the year.

In watching the videos, I have one question that will make me sound old and crotchety:

<OldAndCrotchety>

Do all of the weapons have big Hollywood muzzle flashes?
If so, can that be disabled or modded out?

</OldAndCrotchety> [/code]

The games look awesome, but all the effort of realism kind of goes out the window with that flash. The standard 'birdcage' on the M4's reduces the flash from a 5.56mm round to something you would barely see during the day, and something like a

nearly eliminates it completely... even at night.

It reminds me of Sam Fisher's NV goggles with their brightly glowing objective lenses. >_< Great for selling games to kids based on the box image, but come on...

I'm Looking forward to playing all of these things no matter what.

-Doc

• 1 year later...

I like PhysiX a lot.

Since i got the GTX280 and my 4x3,2 Ghz Quadcore it runs like hell.

Sometime the fps drops to 35 fps, but never less than that.

I recorded all my movies with "Physix on Extreme" @ constant 30 fps.

Will see how it works on Win 7.

GRAW2 without physx would be boring.

Its more difficult to survive in TvT modes with PhysX on extreme, because the smoke and explosives make the sight worst. In my opinion this makes the challenge complete. I dont agree to set all details on low, so that i have less vegetation to see other players earlier.

Physix makes graw 2 more beautyful and partly more difficult.

Happy new 2010

Ares