Opinions about the pc version

Hi folks,

The game is out for pc and, as expected, the ubi forum is deluged with complaints about graphics and connection issues. It's not out in my place till Friday and so before I decide whether to get it or not I was wondering if you would share your opinions on the pc version:

1. Are the resolutions really messed up (black bars)? Have the patches fixed them?

2. Are you getting connection problems in pvp mulitplayer games?

3. Anything else?

It's a sloppy port. The game is the first I've played in ten years (including other ports) that cannot recognise and differentiate between input devices, so, just to get mouse/keyboard to work and to get rid of the console control prompts on-screen, I had to disable my Logeitech wheel/pedals and unplug my CH HOTAS.

Attempts to remap keys seem to work in theory but not always in practice, i.e. when I tried to map a side mouse button as prone, the game accepted it but then deprogrammed the A key, so I had to go back to default.

Graphics are better in theory than in practice. Even with a fast, capable PC I have to avoid running all available graphical enhancements to achieve an acceptable frame-rate. Textures are nasty.

Gameplay: So far, it's on-rails, with obtrusive cutscenes and control removed as the game bosses you about and leads you by the nose. This might just be the case in the first few, semi-tutorial missions. Buddy AI is very aggressive and takes the initiative. To many equipment deployment opportunities are context-sensitive, which is just another form of scripting. The firefights seem ok but camera and body movement are not really tactically precise. Cover is ok, same as SCC, less good than GRO.

I'm going to persevere. Unlike other hard-core tac-gamers, I do not mind the occasional well-made cinematic shooter but this does not appear to be well-made, not for PCs, at least. I resent having to disable my controllers in this day and age, as I will now have to jump through hoops to re-enable them to play racing or flight sims. And I resent the key mapping limitations as I wanted them to match those of GRO, which is a far, far superior game.

Hope the above is helpful for those of you outside the US, those on the fence, or folks who can still cancel their pre-order.

Edited by Bahger

The mouse buttons are heavily used in this game but that might be a glitch in the game that can be fixed. I wan't too keen on the 3rd person view of the in game movements. But I have come to realize that, it really gives me a good look over the combat area. then I hit my mouse wheel to aim through the scope for precision shooting. the graphics look great. Hey, here's a clue; I'm using a Laptop with these specs:

TOSHIBA Series Satellite Model P775D-S7144 Part# PSBZ1U-04P01Q

General

Color Fusion X2 Finish in Platinum Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit CPU Type AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M 1.6GHz Screen 17.3" Memory Size 6GB DDR3 Hard Disk 750GB Optical Drive DVD Super Multi Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 6620G Graphics Video Memory Shared memory Communication LAN and WLAN Dimensions 16.3" x 10.8" x 1.1"-1.4" Weight 6.6 lbs.

CPU

CPU Type AMD A-Series CPU Speed A8-3520M(1.6GHz) CPU Support 2.5 GHz with AMD Turbo Core Technology

Display

Screen Size 17.3" Wide Screen Support Yes Resolution 1600 x 900 LCD Features LED backlight & TruBrite technology

And this game runs quite well on this system. So some might want to look over their hardware to ensure this game will run on this game.

Edited by Papa6

Thank you for the input. What about the multiplayer connectivity though? I have just looked at the ubi forum and it's full of complaints about disconnetions and inability to join rooms.

I am asking here as I tend to take outcries at developer/publisher's forum with a grain of salt.

Thank you for the input. What about the multiplayer connectivity though? I have just looked at the ubi forum and it's full of complaints about disconnetions and inability to join rooms.

I am asking here as I tend to take outcries at developer/publisher's forum with a grain of salt.

I haven't even tried multi yet as I know it'll be a disaster. Not entirely Ubi's fault, as Steam has yet to apply Ubi's Day One patch. That in itself -- among other issues, it seems -- is a major cause of connectivity problems, because different game versions cannot connect online.

The name says GR... is it GR? no. that's how I approached this game. I guess that's why I'm not disappointed. I'm alot easier to please these days, and I don't get angry like I did in days of yore. I'll be 44 next month and most of you who know me since the start of GR.net knew me in my young 30's. Alot has changed...as has this franchise. :maybe: So I'm no UBI-whore as it may appear, I'm just having fun with this. :yay:

People also talk of the lack of proper support for 16:10 resolutions (i.e. black bars), which is another sign of a sloppy console port. This worries me as 16:10 is my resolution as well.

I have seen the game in some stores already today and was really tempted but decided to wait at least till Friday to see what the outcome of patching is. Some gaming sites (eurogamer, gamestop) report PC problems so that might put a bit more pressure on ubi.

Btw, having watched some gameplay videos. I gotta say the game does look fun!

Edited by gvse

It's a sloppy port.

With references in the PC version to Xbox360 controls, I'd say that's a pretty accurate assesment :(

Well, in fairness, you can get rid of that overlay and substitute keyboard/mouse control hints in the HUD...but only after you've disabled all your controller drivers and physically unplugged some, or all, of your controllers! However, I've never seen such stupidity in a modern console port; most of them are smnart enough to recognise and distinguish between different control input sources without requiring any of them to be disconnected.

Erm, the people who have been saying that version 1.0's graphics look good and if you underclock your Nvidia card it doesn't crash are erm, well, they are right.

God****it I hate being wrong but when I am I'll admit it frown.png

Version 1.0 does look nice, none of that grainy shadow thing and I have not had the artifacting-freeze thing and have played for quite a while. Sometimes it is good to be wrong.

But, something has gone wrong somewhere along the line at Ubi's end to make it go so wrong but HOPEFULLY, it is fixable with next patches as it started out ok.

I already had MSI Afterburner installed and just lowered my memory clock from 2000 (apparently it should have been 4000?! Not sure why it wasn't) to 1800 with a swift move of a slider and that was it. I still don't like having to do that and Ubi should fix it but as an experiment I had to do it.

Erm, the people who have been saying that version 1.0's graphics look good and if you underclock your Nvidia card it doesn't crash are erm, well, they are right.

Thanks for the info Mace, good to know.

Look at the screenshots posted here pre and post patch. No doubt about it.

Edited by Low Profile

The only issues I've had are; I put my graphic options too high and it crashed on me for over burdening my GPU. Then trying to get in a MP game get into the lobby and when the game gets ready to start... screeeeeeeech.... Crash! I get dropped back to the titlescreen

Not mad, I'll see if this gets fixed

Look at the screenshots posted here pre and post patch. No doubt about it.

I think different! The only difference is the contrast and brightness.

contrast and brightness.

Looks ok but whats with the jitter bug, i'm using a gtx580 i wonder if this will be my experiance too? ...eeek! was going to buy this tomorrow, not too sure if i should or wait a while for fixes?, i can't believe the amount of sticky bug threads over at the official PC GRFS site.

This gamer makes it look harder than what it is, notice the xbox360 icons on the pc menu screen haha.

GTX 580

[media=]http://youtu.be/HChUBEdRRS8

Edited by =warcloud=

I'm always optimistic and will remain so as this has quite a bit of potential. I have yet to be able to enter a multiplayer game and the single player has crashed on me 4x after the v1.1 patch. Still looking forward to completing the 1st mission.

Still, even at full HD rez on my NVidia GTX580, it seems a little glitchy. Tonight I'm going to work on the settings a little bit and troll the forums to see what has worked best for others.

Running:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

12Gb RAM

Intel i7 x990 3.47GHz

GTX 560

By the way, there was a new GeForce driver this past May which I did install.

I got the game today evening and actually managed to play mp pvp for a good while, including Siege mode. That was really nice, although I dunno what im doing yet, dont know the maps and advantages of classes. Early days yet and I might be too optimistic, but I do see potential in this game. I really hope they iron out connectivity glitches cause once you get into a game everything seems quite smooth (I noticed random lag of one player but otherwise it was good).

the sad thing is, the maps are largely sizable areas but are by and large docks, areas of construction kind of. You have crates or pipes to hide behind with one map having rail cars.but no open areas with trees. ah yes, industrial maps is what I was thinking. nothing with open terrain with trees or open spaces. sigh... I guess my gaming days are over.

I'll throw my 2 cents in... like it matters. ;)

Underneath this mess of a release with tons and tons of crashes, lockups, and disconnects... there hides a pretty damn good game... sure it's not as tactical as most of us would want, but it ain't no run and gun either... The potential for a decent game, both SP, MP... and even co-op is there... but UbiSoft really screwed up the PC release. IMO

I have SP and MP videos on my You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Magnum9846?feature=mhee

But as I posted over at SimHQ, after 20 plus attempts at the SP campaign, and about 15 attempts at MP....

SP... "Theres a good game hidden underneath all this CRAP!" Besides the tech issues, what is it with all that HUD crap? Why is there no options, like in GRAW 1 and 2, to turn off all that crap... the HUD is just too busy... and what the hell is the purpose of blue rings around the weapons, and arrows with data text in the world?

MP... "Actually pretty fun, if I could complete a game without a disconnect!"

Yep... IMO... potential is there with proper support and a mod or two to get rid of all that HUD crap for a good game, not a great one... guess I'll check back in a month or tow... or not. ;)

JMO

I find the firefights to be a guilty pleasure, I must admit. I don't like being led around by the nose, chanelled, funelled and scripted, but I like the combat dynamics, i.e. movement, cover, AI fireteam support, weapon modelling. And yet even where it shines, it never even approaches the quality of GRO.

Try turning down/off, motion blue, tessellation, or any of the dx 11 effects. I am not 100 percent sure if those are causing the problems, but try it out.

It turns out that the problems only happen to me if i enable high settings, enabling all the effects and enabling DirectX 11, enabling blur causes stuttering for me. So for the best experience for me and have higher framerate is to disable everything, the game still looks ok (about the same as the xbox 360 version i have). But it begs the question...why did i buy a GTX 580 an i7-860 a solid state hard drive and 8 gigabyte of pc memory to play a game that looks and plays not that much better than the console version?, doh!, hahaha!.