GR:O Revenue Model & Value Perception

I'm curious to learn more about Ghost Recon: Online's revenue model, and whether it's a lease or buy transaction model? In either case there are many examples of what could be considered the 'AAA' titles of 'Free' P4C game channel, where spending the same amount of money one would spend on a retail box DVD title of a similar genre will only get you access to a fraction of the content in the retail box DVD game. What's more the lease or combined lease/buy transaction models delivers fractional content in a much more explicitly finite, time limited manner.

It's not difficult to see how appealing these prospects are to the publisher, and any objection to a particular game's value proposition is easily handled with the dismissive (and somewhat duplicitous) market speak statement that: 'Well you don't have to pay for anything, you can play for free...'. So, I wonder if Theo (or anyone at Ubisoft) can offer on objective statement devoid of marketing double-speak regarding the net value of what a Fan of Ghost Recon: Online will get for say the target price of $59.95; explicitly: Will $60 spent on Ghost Recon: Online give me similar features, benefits and volume of content I'd get in a retail box game, and will I get to keep keep that content for the life of the game?

I'm sorry there Clevon, do I sound sounds pompous and gay, be carful, 'expiry' has three syllables, you might get perceived pompous and gay too!

zorro.gif

Seriously though, many P4C 'Free' MMOFPS games let you outright buy content for the life of the game, as even this is sort of self-obsolescing as new content is added to the game all the time. So, the rent for time limited use can be a double whammy of geekspoitations...

laugh.gif

I think the main reason you haven't seen a response is not because we don't understand the question, but because no one knows the answer. I understand your argument and desire to make sure you get the most bang for your buck, but the bottom line is that GRO was only recently announced and these details simply aren't out yet. Everything we know about GRO any user can read and catch up on in about an hour or two. :thumbsup:

I'll be curious to see when Ubi releases info about this because it's so new to the GR community.

I am too, and I think Ubi's approach here will be especially revealing as to how they preceive the Ghost Recon PC audience. My impression is that GR Fans are a brighter, more critical audience, and that the typical sort of shrewd economics that are typically applied to the MMOFPS will not fly here. Granted the game will be free at the front-end, and may in fact appeal most strongly to some new audience; but if Ubisoft honestly intends to reach this audience there will have to be an honest value for value presentation at the store front.

huh.gif

There's a lot Ubi is going to have to do to reach this audience. I'm not sure it starts or ends with a "store front."

There's a reason mods are still being made for GR ten years later. It still remains unmatched for gameplay quality. Who needs flashy graphics when you can have a game that consumes you and provides a quality tactical experience.

I think GRO will be fun, and I think I'll enjoy playing it. But I'll enjoy it like I do Black Ops... as a quick "hey, I've got 15 minutes, I'm gonna shoot some ######." Will I want to get back into ladder play and competitions with this like I did OGR? Probably not...