Balaclavas & Face Masks

RampItUp46

I just had to ask this. It seems whenever I watch TV of war-torn countries, it seems common to see soldiers (both regular and irregular) wearing ski masks, balaclavas and other kinds of face masks. I was just wondering... Why?

I guess at night they could serve as camo at night, to obscure your face... But I've seen soldiers wearing them during the day when facepaint or something would be a lot more practical. I suppose there's also a mental factor involved, as a person wearing a mask can be more intimidating.

Of course, I mostly see such masks in movies and video games (Behind Enemy Lines and Ghost Recon, to name a pair). Maybe it's not realistic that people actually wear these things...

Anyway, if anyone happens to know, please tell me. A stupid question, I know, but I'm just curious!

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Harder to ID a Face if there's mask covering it.... think Bank Robbers, a lot of irregulars use them esp fighting Guerilla wars. i.e IRA, Indon militia, ETA take your pick really.

As to SF using them- same principle, also keeps head warm in colder climates, does restrict peripheral vision a bit though. And the psycholgical factors can't be discounted.

Cheers Gordo

Also in some of the war torn scenarios, there is ethnic clencsing and other nasties going on. some dont want to be recognized for war crimes, others dont want there fmilies or friends to see them doing horrible things

for anyone who hasnt worn a baclava :ph34r:

its not worn to cover your face from being recognized,

its to keep your face from falling off. :rofl:

I also believe that "Baclava" is very tasty, although i havent tried it myself..... ;):whistle:

We used to wear them rolled up during the day worn as a type of cap, and then if we needed to cam up quick, or during the night, just pulled them back down, i can't say that my peripheral vision was ever impaired too much, although it can affect your hearing a little if your moving around in them, not to mention the condensation over the mouthpiece which wasnt particularly attractive.... :ph34r:

mmmm baklava :drool:

When i was in cadets i got the only balaclava we had (i was in the Q Store)

it was simple, mouth hole and 2 eye holes, plain Khaki.

They are handy to roll up as a beanie, and when it gets cold in and your sleeping in a hutchie, they do keep the ole' dial warm.

(they were also handy for raiding other hutchies without being recognized :ph34r: )

True SF used balaclavas aren't a ski-mask, they're fire resistant, and that is major offical reason as to why they wear them, wouldn't like to look like an earless freak if something blows up in your face.

Also around 70% of your body heat while wearing BDU leaves through your head, so if you wish to avoid hypothermia, better wear something.

:ph34r: Wow, guys, thanks for the replies. You answered my question and then some.

So, basically, if you're in the SF, you don't want the bad guys to identify you, and if you're in a cold climate, it's handy for keeping you warm.

And if you're an irregular serving in the militia, it helps if you're ordered to do some "ethnic cleansing" and don't want the local populace to pick you out and go after you... or the UN to arrest you for war crimes.

Most people who wear balaclavas do it for keep their ID hidden.

If you go on a missions like commandos (elimination, massacre ect.), hunting terrorists, Organized crime/drug dealers (Brazil's case), you sure dont want to be identified, because they can retaliate on you and your wife and kids. Thats very important if there reporters and media peoplo on the area.

BRASIL_COMANDOS2.jpg

BRASIL57.jpg

Psychological intimidation?

Wearing a wrestling mask would have a greater affect then.

:P

BOOM

''GET DOWN GET DOWN!''

''OMG! MIL MASCARAS KICKED DOWN MY DOOR!''

''WICKED!''

''GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR!''

''Dude,Mil Mascaras told us to get down!''

''GET DOWN NOW!''

POW

''Dude,Mil Mascaras just pistol whipped me!''

''Righ on man''

POW