Hard Drive trouble?

Dark Ranger

Ok, some of you know that about 1 1/2 weeks ago, I reformatted my hard drive, due to a hacker attack. So I have now reloaded all my programs and updated 2000Pro with SP3 and IE6 SP1 along with cumulative updates...all drivers are updated as well.

Here's my issue: I have updated basically every hardware component on my system over the past 3 months except my hard drive. It hadn't been giving me any problems.

Since the 13th of January though, my system will just die at random moments and then reboot. Here's what I mean: For instance, I'd be gaming with GR and all of a sudden it would just die and reboot. When I mean die, I mean my hard drive will literally spin down and almost stop. Then it spins up again and reboots. This is getting more and more frequent, and just about 20 minutes ago, I was reinstalling GR (long story), and it had like 20% left and it just died, spinned down, and restarted my OS.

Case in point: Is this really the hard drive going or my OS or some other software? I am willing to post anything else for system info. If it is the HD, I need to hurry up and get a new one before it crashes permanently. :(

Thanks in advance...

The only programs that were running at the times of the crashes were Norton Internet Security/Anti-Virus, SB Audigy2 Volume Control/Mixer, and WeatherBug Pro...plus Ghost Recon. I have installed only the Audigy card on January 7th.

On the 13th, I did a defrag and a backup...now I can't reinstall GR. :wall: It just keeps giving me the uninstall option on the autorun. All RSE folders are gone, as well as registry entries. Might it be GR? Perhaps...

Your Hard Drive Usually starts *clicking* and *knocking" if its on its way out.

I have never known a working hard drive just stop for no reason.

Could be something silly like PSU? check how hot it is getting.

There is numourous programs out there that will check your hard drive for faults, have a search and see what you find..

I had a problem very similar to this on my old computer. Turned out the PSU died. It did almost exactly the same thing you say, and it kept getting more and more frequent until eventually it wouldn't even boot up. Definately check out your power supply.

Edited by Raptor9

• 9 years later...

i saw this problem once, some time ago, in a computer that would be considerably older than yours. The issue ended up being faulty cache ram failing when it was heated due to use.

Im not saying this is the problem but heat and chips might be something to look at....