Playing it one last time, mod/campaign suggestions?

Zoog

Hey guys,

I always played GR without any mods. Now I want to organize a weekly coop session to play one of the many available custom campaigns over at Tangodown and I'm looking how to create the best experience. As in, what are the top must have mods if you were playing this game for the last time?

I'm looking for a great custom campaign and maybe some additional mods graphics wise or weapons wise. Any veteran tips greatly appreciated! :)

I might try to see if I can get the lightspeed 2007 tournament stuff maybe? Sounds good and I like the setting

Edited by Zoog

If you just want good coop gaming sessions, go with Heroes Unleashed, a massive mod which pulls together just about every custom map and weapon out there. You'll have loads of different terrains to play on.

If you want well-scripted campaigns with custom maps, weapons, kit and missions, I'd recommend (in this order):

Frostbite

Year of the Monkey

Rockall*

P2

* Main focus is on coop gameplay.

That will probably be enough to last you for a long time, but other mods that I can recommend for coop from personal experience include:

9ms

Tactical Gamer 3.0

Project Sentry**

H-Hour's Server-side Mission Pack**

8 Days and 12 Weeks (the original coop mission packs -- stock maps only)

** These were created by me, so take the recommendation with that in mind.

There are lots more, but these are the ones I have used myself in coop gaming sessions over the years.

If you're pulling in people who are new to Ghost Recon or who may be very rusty, I'd recommend starting with Frostbite, Year of the Monkey or H-Hour's Server-side Mission Pack, as many of these missions include lower enemy counts that are more reasonable for small or out-of-practice teams. If you want tough inserts, try Rockall, P2, 9ms or Tactical Gamer 3.0, all of which were created for experienced coop teams.

Edited by H-Hour

CENTCOM and Frostbite have given us in the TOS clan the most fun over the last few months. That's if you're playing from a co-op mode perspective, of course. Heroes Unleashed was fun, too, especially since it lasted a very long time. However, HU doesn't have many good co-op missions so if you like tactically planning and executing a mission, I would recommend CENTCOM and Frostbite over HU.

Well I am biased, but I strongly recomend The AlphaSquad Mod (this includes most of the AS tourney missions), note this requires the DTD Team Mod. For a mission pack the only addition I would make to H-Hour's suggestions is SBTO. These are all great coop missions. The only other thing to add would be some of the "more recent" (now quite dated) AS tourney missions that may not be in the full MOD -- those can be found in our forums (I think registyration is required to download files).

The AS mod plays reasonably well with both CENTCOM and Frostbite and adds quite a bit of coop intensity to both. Remember, no respawns, no TI, and dead people do not talk -- it really does help get/keep you on the edge of your seat.

Good luck and enjoy.

I'm currently checking the suggestions above. Just to be sure, for CENTCOM, there are several patches on the download page.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php?act=view&id=538

There is a patch 1 "v3.0" and a patch 2 "no version number". BUT in the description there is also a patch, "v3.0".

Should I just apply the v3.0 patch, even though it's "patch 1", or do I need to do something with patch 2 as well (which has no version number)?

Sounds good! We will be playing our first mission next week, at least that's the plan. Can't wait! After browsing the download section and playing with GR a bit I'm really pumped :boxing: Mind you, I never played GR in co-op or MP. I always played stock SP, I never knew there was this whole modding scene going on (until 2006 or so). And I also never really "saw" this Multiplayer button in the main menu lol. But never got back into the game, so never got into this MP and customization thing with GR.

Edited by Zoog

From the newer ones, definitely play Rockall, Blood Oil, P2: A Cold Day in Hell , Project Sentry, ZAPAD-81, Clear and Present Danger 2, Operation Stronghold - all amazing mods! And of course, there's also always the great classics to revisit, like Frostbite, Year of the Monkey, CENTCOM, Operation Stabilise, Alpha Mod, etc.

But hang on... why would you be "playing it one last time", Zoog? Ghost Recon will NEVER die! :)

From personal experience I can say that whenever I find some spare time (which for me is very rare, nowadays) to play a game of GR it still has this very special fascination to it, almost like back in the early days of playing the first demo. Just last week I talked to a friend of mine who had just reinstalled GR after several years of abstinence, and he confirmed my experience like this: "I've tried a boatload of the latest and greatest shooters recently... good old Ghost Recon still rules them all!"

I must admit GR is starting to be a go to game within my collection atm. Haven't played it for a long time, but it still is a great classic and doesn't get old, especially with all the custom content I never touched. Love the SP missions as well, so maybe I'll just play all the mods mentioned in this thread for the upcoming years or two combined with regular co-op sessions with Tangodown members. Still so much valuable content available to enjoy. Didn't expect, after all these years, that GR would still be so enjoyable :notworthy:

Edited by Zoog