Real-world tactics learned from GR games?

remix79

I didn't learn any real-world close-quarters tactics from Ghost Recon. I did incorporate what I learned in police training, into video games (and certainly improved as a gamer), but I can't say that playing Ghost Recon taught or perfected any real-world knowledge on my part. If anything, I'd say that, were one to take typical video game tactics and try to use them in a real-life shooting situation, then he'd probably get himself shot.

True, I wouldn't use anything I took from a video game alone out into real-life combat situations. However, I have found that certain tactics like attacking, withdrawing and flanking have had excellent results in real-life outdoor laser tag games.

I have also seen "leapfrogging" in GR, or at least what I understand it to be; in a two-person team, one member stays behind and gives the other person cover while the other advances, then the advanced player covers the second while they advance, repeat, etc.

I've also seen the behavior of the enemies when advancing on me and the shuffle or cross-over step they use while approaching that allows them to turn to the side when approaching me, thus minimizing their profile and keep their rifle trained in my direction.

Edited by remix79

If you already understand the basic concepts of fire and maneuver, they turn you into a better GR player. If you're running and gunning like a Call of Duty kid, well, that's great, but try that in real life and see how many "hitpoints" you have. What OGR does let you do is get an appreciation for why we fight as we do, with bounding, overwatch, flanking, etc. So if you're Joe Average, don't take your playing of a game to mean you're a warfighter. If you are a warfighter, playing this game basically becomes no different from playing chess. Run through the battle, and see how you did. Do better next time. At best, it's like a flight simulator game for a pilot, not going to replicate everything but going to give a low-budget version of combat. You aren't going to have the stress, the enemy actions are by and large scripted, and the other key factor: weapons malfunction, mostly when you need them to work at their best, if you aren't maintaining them properly.

Hope this answers your question.

• 4 months later...

I would have to say that I learned very little that I haven't already learned from other War Games or such movies as Black Hawk Down, Jarhead, and TV with the Military Channel. Those who haven't really learned it before, can obviously figure out some very basic fire and maneuver tactics, as well as duck and cover lessons. But in my personal belief, if you can learn how to position and command two or three men on the field, the you can learn how to do the same on the field of airsoft or the field of combat, if you payed stringent attention and trained hard of course.

I wouldn't say that GR would teach people real combat tactics, but it certainly would help. Pit a CoD player versus a GR player, I can tell you who's gonna win. I heavily disagree with vandyman, where he says 'the enemy are heavily scripted'.

Ha.

Those AI are nasty, devious, ingenious creatures (well, at least the bad guys are) They will flank you and they will spank you. I get terrible beatings still after half a decade of playing the game. Every time I play one of the original RSE missions, I do something different, and so do the AI. I tried M07 River without engaging anyone and it was really like a new mission. I only lost 1 man instead of the usual two or three. So, while it isn't too close to real life, it certainly is similar.

The only other thing you could learn in regards to tactics in my opinion, is how to take on certain situations. I mean, with the diversity of mission areas and objectives, there is always some kind of lesson to be learned. You are fighting against competent and sometimes highly lethal enemies that will bend you over and beat you a** like no tomorrow if you screw up, which makes the lessons learned that much more memorable, because you died twenty times before you actually got past it XD

But truthfully, you learn how to rely on what you have, cause lets face it, there isn't constant resupply when you need it in the original Ghost Recon, which killed me more times than I care to remember. As well, you learn how to command a small platoon size force over an immense landscape with multiple routes to be taken to get you to the objective, which can often break apart a small unit because of the paths taken and the chances of being ambushed along that path.

I wouldn't say that GR would teach people real combat tactics, but it certainly would help. Pit a CoD player versus a GR player, I can tell you who's gonna win. I heavily disagree with vandyman, where he says 'the enemy are heavily scripted'.

Ha.

Those AI are nasty, devious, ingenious creatures (well, at least the bad guys are) They will flank you and they will spank you. I get terrible beatings still after half a decade of playing the game. Every time I play one of the original RSE missions, I do something different, and so do the AI. I tried M07 River without engaging anyone and it was really like a new mission. I only lost 1 man instead of the usual two or three. So, while it isn't too close to real life, it certainly is similar.

Depends if the COD player has a killstreak LOL!!

I hated the unrealism of those along with other things in COD.

As for real world tactics. I learned to stay up late and ignore my wife during matches back in the OGR days. Not sure if that was a good tatic or not though.