Heli doesn't go in multiplayer game

*AF*=Wind=

Guest Mot_73

I'm so new I hate to respond..but..if you search around the threads you'll find as I did that helos and multi-player are kinda like oil and water.

Its my understanding that if they are stationary and don't requiring moving...they may be ok in MP but don't expect them to move for ya. :rolleyes:

The net code for helicopters was never properly implemented by the developers. Even a stationary helicopter will not always be seen on clients. Interestingly the helicopter does actually seem to 'work' to some extent on clients, just the visual data doesn't get updated, so the clients can't see it. It sure is odd to hear a helicopter approach, then suddenly see it's occupants appear. Once you start using the teleport function with it however, you are likely to get ctd's.

Jack :)

Pinned this one cause its a regular question. Sorry I had to delete the last few replys, there was nothing wrong with them cept they were off topic and seen as this is gonna be a sticky then its better if its all on topic.

To summarise helicopters wont work in game, my guess is that theres to much data to transfere in MP. Remeber that you can script it so your mission will have helis in single but not in MP.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried playing with the Blackhawk in a test on Multiplayer (that is how I test my missions and maps, in mult) and the only problem I had (and yes, I am server side) is that the Blackhawk, after my refugees run over and jump in, will lift off...fly down it's path a short way...and then turn some odd direction and head off...OR DOWN and through objects. Usually ends up docking somewhere over the ocean (when the path heads to the other side of the map).

I use the first map of the DS mod to test my mission scripting.

Overall, everything is cool until I get it moving on it's assigned path. That is where it goes astray.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...
first i havent found a way to start them in the air. they need to lift off.

First you create an effect, and set it in the air at whatever height your chopper is supposed to be flying at. Name it "heli start" or something. At the startup block, just teleport it there; TeleportAirVehicle.

I didn't have any problems with the helicopters once I managed to get them flying.

The movement thing where they head off in odd directions etc.... This is because they're going too fast to turn for their waypoint, or the waypoint is too sharp. You have to make sure they're smooth and the chopper is heading slow enough to get round it.

yea i made a few missions with chopper evacs and all works great until a room fills up too much (6) or a lagger joins than it bugs out where only host sees the chopper running! Sucky bug but if you script it right and keep room small and Broardband it does work! me and friends fly in emm everynight on my server! just when i releashed emm i noticed other hosts had bugs up the ### ! i been rescripting the mission with the choppers with MP teams riding in emm and been getting good effects with other hosts! but still bugs out from time too time! :angry:

i am not sure why in most cases that in my room everyone sees chopper come and land pick emm up and fly away and almost never get the bug!

but once i give it out too others the bug is very common not sure how or why its diffrent from me hosting and others! Something in computer procesing or what! im lost but i do seem too be maken porgress in my rescripting! So in short its is a very big pain too use chopper online and until i do more reseach or red strom fixxs this with a patch MP riding is going too be very buggy and most the time might not even be worth your time!

From good ol days I think I remember something about a chopper from the Island Thunder package that would work; as opposed to the early BH's implemented in the GR series.

But I think those threads where lost in the GR forum crash in January 2002.

Someone should be able to refresh my/our memory.

Am I totally wrong here?

Also; many of the mods have perfectly flying BH's that even participate in the attacks with weapons and everything. But that could O'coz be custom built vehicles/helos.

The IT choppers are what we use.

all works great until a room fills up too much (6)

Yeah, I get round that by putting the insertion zone near where the chopper lands. For example I have a mission on D08 (Tank) where the insertion is on the road near the stone house. The Choppers come in from off-map across the river. If there are six or less people, that's fine, but if there are more, the extras just spawn in the insertion zone instead of the heli so they can watch the Blackhawks come in and land.

• 2 weeks later...

Bah, it seems they only worked for me because I was the server... I played one of my own missions last night with somebody else hosting, and the Little bird insertion worked on his end but not mine. I started at the heli start position but it was on the ground, and about 11 seconds later (time it takes on Sp for MH6 to land) I was at the LZ.

Sigh... I'll have to disable the script for the insertion on MP then. Can't someone fix this somehow?

• 3 months later...
Bah, it seems they only worked for me because I was the server... I played one of my own missions last night with somebody else hosting, and the Little bird insertion worked on his end but not mine. I started at the heli start position but it was on the ground, and about 11 seconds later (time it takes on Sp for MH6 to land) I was at the LZ.

Sigh... I'll have to disable the script for the insertion on MP then. Can't someone fix this somehow?

Thats what happens ranger :)

To fix it; peek into one of the stock missions with heli insertions (in singleplayer). Then copycat their tecnique to turn off cinematics if the game mode is multiplayer. Never used it but I remember that from peeking into one of the stock missions once.

If you meant - by saying fix it - that you want to fix those heli insertions to work serversided or even on a dedicated; I would say..... forget it.

I might be wrong though. But I doubt.

Well - frankly - should I be wrong on that it's impossible.....keep me informed; I would be very, very glad to find out how to do that properly on a dedicated.

live helo insertions are possible online (dedicated or p2p server) if you modify the helos in 3dsm to be type 2 (armor) instead of type 5 (cinematic helo). you can also put a crew of 10 in the helo -- 1 AI pilot and a full team of 9 real, live, human players online.

this is done in the 'flyby' missions in hx5. there are a number of helos (and even a motorcycle) which players can board and fire from.

it does take some serious bandwidth for the server to pull this off smoothly, however. and cinematics are still not possible -- but live insert/extract is much more fun anyways. especially with a crew of players loaded up with support weapons

:o=

=FC= Harntrox

member of =DRAG= modworks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I set up for a cinematic view of a helo insertion (basically just set cameras up while a black hawk flew across the map to the IZ, then fade to black) for a co-op mission and it turned out great. I sent it to a buddy of mine to view and I hopped on his server to see his reaction. He viewed the cinematic fine, but from my view, the black hawk never got off of the ground. I saw all of the camera changes and the black out, then it inserted us both... why could he see the helo and not me...?

I'm intending this mission to be used in co-op play and I really want the helo insertion. Any idea how I can fix this....?

Darknight

• 1 month later...
live helo insertions are possible online (dedicated or p2p server) if you modify the helos in 3dsm to be type 2 (armor) instead of type 5 (cinematic helo). you can also put a crew of 10 in the helo -- 1 AI pilot and a full team of 9 real, live, human players online.

Harntox, what do you mean by type 2 instead of type 5?

The destruction type tag in the map editor? Type 5 being indestructable and type 2 being medium (surely this would mean chopper could be brought down with hail of bullets or a nade).