Bad Serial Number

as some of you may know, I recently migrated to Window 7Pro 32-bit

I installed my game on a separate HD (D:\) and made a backup of my ArMa profile on another HD (F:\)

So after copying my profile to my C:\Ray\Documents\ArMa, I thought it was a matter of creating a desktop shortcut and I'd be gaming.

Well pass the Atari splash screen I get an error message seen on this screenshot:

badserialnumberarma.th.jpg

Question:

1) do I need to find my key (I wrote it on the disc) and enter it somewhere?

2) do I need to get into the Registry for this?

Yes I could install the game again, but I got so much mods (ACE) in there, I'd hate to do the whole thing again.

And Yes, I want to keep the ArMa Program on separate HD, just in case my OS HD takes a dive.

advance thanks

As it's a new operating system you need to actually install the game + Patches under it (otherwise you will have problems with FADE and also future patches)

Mods you can just copy across, once you've installed the game (you are using mod folders right ?)

You would be strongly advised to install all of your games and applications fresh (otherwise the O/S wont have any of the registry and installation information (including copy protection) it needs)

only mods and data files (XLS, DOC, TXT, JPG, PDF Etc) should be copied across to a new O/S like that

roger that! :thumbsup:

1) I'll make another copy of that installed ArMa to another HD

2) Uninstall ArMa

3) Should I run CCleaner to clean the Registry of any left overs from the Uninstallation?

4) Reinstall and install patch....how many patches are there now? I'll download while I got fast connection @ work :whistle:

thanks Pave Low :thumbsup:

If you did a clean install of Win 7 then You wont need to "un"install anything (or even be able to), simply because it has never even been installed on that O/S

so also no need to use CCleaner as there is nothing of it in the new registry (you originally installed it on the XP O/S which is completely separate to the Win 7 O/S)

You should only need to copy the mods folders, profile and settings and any missions you may have downloaded too

you don't really need to copy the complete game as a back up (should save some time and disk-space) but if you have a large storage drive and no rush then why not, it'll prevent you missing anything :P

as to Patches...

the latest official release patch is 1.14

armedassault.com Patches page (Including a version guide + D/L mirrors)

and depending on your box version you might be able to go straight to 1.14 (if "Gold") but probably you will need to go to 1.05 then to 1.08 and then to 1.14

*and there is a beta version of 1.18rc available if you wanted to try that

You should only need to copy the mods folders, profile and settings and any missions you may have downloaded too

you don't really need to copy the complete game as a back up (should save some time and disk-space) but if you

if you look at my E:\ drive and see the directory....looks like I didn't install my ACE mod in a mod folder :wall:

in fact, it looks like I didn't do a mod folder :wall:

probably best I uninstall and start from scratch....I never did finish a campaign....I keep doing other stuff with it anyway(i.e screenshots, comics, etc). <_<

I think I did save all my mods on a DVD disc anyways, or another HD that is offline ATM.

Mucho' appreciate guys :thumbsup:

I'll try to see if I can manage....maybe problem with time zone difference and my evening job

btw:

it's been I while since I fiddled with the editor, how do I enter any of the following again?

ActsPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_DancingDuoIvan p Does various dance moves

ActsPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_DancingDuoStefan p Dances

ActsPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_DancingStefan p As above

it's in the initialization?

just wanna make a quick video

:whistle:

I should have included that it is a boxed retail (Atari) Gold with Queens Gambit.

patched with ArmA_InternationalUpdate105_108 then came the errors:

there's your problem, if you have the gold edition it is already at 1.08 and you only needed the 1.18 update

*Cough*

1.- Boxed ARMA: GOLD edition or ARMA download version 1.08

- Download and install International 1.18 update only

:rolleyes::P

Sounds like you have it running now though

I'm rrrreally trying not to go to the strip joints tonight and help the working single moms.

can I see your ArMa directory tree on how you guys structure your mods?

Pave said create a mod folder, is that same as GR?

I see I got a copy of ACE launcher....but before I start that do I just create a mod folder, then an ACE folder inside the Mod folder?

or is BI walkthru the best way to set up a mod folder

or is this correct?

acedirectory.th.jpg

advance thanks :thumbsup:

Pave said create a mod folder,

No, Pave said Mod Folders ;)

is that same as GR?
No, In GR all mods went under a single "mods" folder" and each mod had a "ModsCont"

IN ArmA and Flashpoint each mod (or group of mods (the .PBO files)) go in their own folder in the root level and under a sub folder called "addons"

I see I got a copy of ACE launcher....

just launch that, the mod should have installed itself correctly

do I just create a mod folder, then an ACE folder inside the Mod folder?

No

The mod should have installed itself correctly and should look like "~\ArmA\@ACE\addons\"

That is correct (what with BI making the game and all :P )

or is this correct?

acedirectory.th.jpg

No, that will not work, the sub folder must just be called "Addons"

the "@" is only used once in the start of the mod name

(the"@" character is only used just so all mods are at the top of the folder list when sorted alphabetically)

If you are still not sure, see this very clear in-depth guide How to install and launch addons

but only Option 2 is recommended (but definitely Do not use option 1 or 4)

(you can use option 3, but being an old school flashpoint player I personally don't bother with launchers as I find it easier to just have several shortcuts each with a different "payload" of mods they activate)

(you can use option 3, but being an old school flashpoint player I personally don't bother with launchers as I find it easier to just have several shortcuts each with a different "payload" of mods they activate)

Maybe u can check again some of them, for example: Alpinestars - Arma II Launcher

I guess other launchers too, but this one have a profile setting. It means you can save as many profiles as you want with diff settings, mods, .... and quickly select the one u want for that gaming session.

It even has a server list browser you can use, and many more nice features (track ir, auto mod folder adding, ...).

Edited by Big

• 1 month later...