A working sniper???

mordred

I tried EVERYTHING :wall: from u guys forum but i cant get myself an accurate sniper,

My combat roe, movemant roe, cover its all there and in right place and right type........ but he doesnt kill me from afar.

It seems to work on a flat level like a bridge, but when u move him up a mountain he becomes 'dumb' again. I can spot and shoot him with an m4!!!

Does your cover area have to be ON the snipers position??

How does a defend zone work??

greet

MoRdReD :wacko:

If you want a really accurate sniper you will have to edit the atr. Open the sniper's .atr file and find the atribute for weapons and set that to a high number like 20 or so. For the mission if you want to have the sniper stay in position put a defence station with number 1 priority and he should stay in his spot. In his plan combat roe suppress movement at all cost and alertness combat and that should do it for you.

Open the .atr with notepad or wordpad.

Edited by Matt03

If you want a really accurate sniper you will have to edit the atr. Open the sniper's .atr file and find the atribute for weapons and set that to a high number like 20 or so. For the mission if you want to have the sniper stay in position put a defence station with number 1 priority and he should stay in his spot. In his plan combat roe suppress movement at all cost and alertness combat and that should do it for you.

Open the .atr with notepad or wordpad.

u might want to start lower number than 20 when u get high numbers they act wierd.

I have all my actors in the mod that are enemy with statsof 8 for each.

Im not sure if anyone has this but if i take a sniper and put him on assult for combat oe he wont shot you right away all the time but he does seem to have better aim. Supress they fire alot of bullets in a give direction. They dont aim than. With assault they aim better.

u can edit atr in notepad? i been using actor editor

Set the missions spotting distance up by the proper command in IGOR. That is gonna make him spot you from a longer range I think. Make sure you don't set it too high so that the player has a chance of getting a visual on the target just as the target gets a visual on the player.

I did that in my first mission ever in IGOR - Blackhawk 2 is down - and it gives you a hard fight for your money.

Actually I'm hoping to make a series of missions I call RealThreatSeries wich will use a custom spotting distance to it's full extent.

I'm planning to redo BlackHawk 2 is down and use that mission as the first mission in the RTS (RealThreat-Series).

Don't know about you, but I'm tired of running around and picking sitting ducks down that can't see you unless you are closer than 40 meters or whatever each maps spotting distance is set to.

thx, I changed my spotting distance and they snipe quite alright now,

maybe i need to do somth else if those ak47's gonna snipe too....

greetz

:thumbsup: good job, was coming back to let you know that works but had to recheck my notes frist ?

:-" Chucky

Edited by AO3_Chucky

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the character stats make a difference :thumbsup:

Spotting Distance is the same as Max Spot Range. What you set in scripting overrides the env file setting. It is very precise so, for example, if you have it set at 100 metres, an enemy tank will begin to fire on you at exactly 100 metres if you are in line of sight.

Jack :rocky:

Sorry - the bl**** modem failed - thought I hadnt sent it. :(

@ fr1j0l3

Ive redone the enemy weapons for GS *Reiver* mod (TFR) so that they are a lot less accurate and put Tracer rounds on each bullet fired - great feeling of lots of bullets wizzing around you as you run from cover to cover !

So if u do different grades of accurate sniper rifle and give them to higher stat Sniper-actors, then u get the effect of Better and Better Snipers.

Dont forget to expand the Spotting Distance and push bask the Fog ranges as well.

I would also try putting the Spotdistance a little futher than the max Fog so that the Players can only see the Muzzle flash of the Sniper !! (And to be a real git, try giving the best snipers silencers/minimum muzzle flash, so the Players have a real hard time finding them ) ;)

Edited by blakarion.

hehehe.... not sure I wanna make it THAT hard... gotta at least give the player the same visual chance the AI gets ;)

I guess the character thing is what my issue is... I was hoping to use a couple female civvie characters for snipers, but I keep walking up within 30 yards of them...

hrmm... So I either mod the character file, or I swap toa real sniper actor...

:wall:

thanks again for the help :)

"I guess the character thing is what my issue is... I was hoping to use a couple female civvie characters for snipers, but I keep walking up within 30 yards of them..."

yep - sounds like either 1 of 3 things :

1) The Actor has a been set to "Bored" alertness (plan given to actor in script)

2) The spotting distance is set to a low value (set in the .env file OR changed via the scripting)

3) The character you are using has a high Stealth value (actor file) and is sneaking up on them not directly in their line-of-sight

OR a combination of all 3 :thumbsup:

The sniper's actor file will NOT have any effect on them spotting you (I think) only on how fast they will react etc

If its still annoying you, then PM me and I'll try and help more

• 9 years later...

I'm having the same issue myself.

Sniper character that is effectively used in a mission from a mod I'm playing.

I create the same sniper (char/kit/ROE/Movement/Alertness) in the same order as the original one.

Spotting distance is 130m, fog is farther than that.

I come over a hill 80m in front of him and run straight toward him. He may never even shoot, even if I stand right in front of him, and if he does shoot, it's not until I'm right on top of him.

This is really annoying!

-Doc

This thread is ten years old.....just so you know.

To answer your question, there is nothing to be done. The AI are so stupid and unpredictable and I have not discovered any way to fix them. I love how they will nail you with a Makarov across the map while you're behind cover and laying prone, but they can't spot you with a Dragunov fifty meters away staring at you in the open.

I figure it's better to continue an already existing, relevant thread than to start a new one that has none of the prior advice or information in it ... probably saves some amount of repetition.

The thing is, I can start the mission that the sniper is on, and he will shoot me in the face every singe time as soon as I come into view.

When I make the same sniper in another mission, it doesn't work at all.

So in this case anyway, it's not a matter of inconsistency ... does that make sense? Same behavior every time on a different mission.

Hmmmm.

EDIT:

We just played a P2 mission. There was a sniper that took two of us out in rapid succession at a range approaching 100m.

After the mission, I added a new, test sniper with the exact attributes of the one that shot us. Exactly the same. He didn't lock onto me and start tracking me in his scope until I was within 40-50m, and he didn't fire until I was within 1-2m.

As for the possibility of there being some variance in the AI, I tested it 3 times: Each time I approached the original sniper, he'd kill me at long range. Each time I approached the test sniper, he would not fire until I was standing on him.

What am I missing? Both are set up as follows

Same Actor

Same Kit

Alertness: Combat / Locked

Movement ROE: At all cost

Combat ROE: Suppress

Stance: Prone / Locked

Cover

Two actors with the exact same configuration. Two completely different, 100% reproduceable behaviors.

- Doc

Edited by Doc. Caliban

This is how RightHand did it in his Rattenkreig mission rh 13 Red Dragon.

Movement ROE: Hold

Stance: Prone / Locked

Don't use Cover for the actor instead use a Station from the Misc tab and place the actor on top of it.

It will appear as a Defense Station in the RH column .

With the station highlighted in yellow use the left mouse button + Alt on the square inside the cone to adjust its size and direction.

Might check the P2 missions to see if Mig did it that way for stationary snipers.

My previous setup was a duplicate of the P2 sniper but failed to behave the same way.
I tried the setting that you suggested but had the same result .. almost ... he did fire on me briefly, but not until I was within 20m, and then he stopped firing until I was right on top of him again. So similar behavior.
I created a zone and added it to his plan, then added Defend Zone below that. I've tried both Assault and Suppress. Same behavior every time.
Again, the thing that really confuses me is that I set it up exactly the same way as a working sniper from the original mission, but it simply won't work for me.
Thank you for the ideas though, as it's helping me learn more about this stuff in general!
-Doc

Movement ROE: At all cost
Stance: Any / Locked
Cover

Then add a defense station.

Absolutely never had an issue with the above settings in any of my missions. In fact, this is the only settings I ever give snipers. Are you creating the arc the sniper needs to look at? Ensure the cover plus the station are prettty much the same angle. You can put a timer on the cover position, then add another cover spot elsewhere, with a new defense position, etc.

snpa_zps67c271ad.jpg

Ah ha! I figured it out. It's the cover system.

You know how you can be looking through a clearing of trees with the binos, yet you still get a range reading of 3m instead of the actual range to the target? Because that's how the cover / concealment system works when you are hiding, it works the same way for snipers. The sniper I had that was driving me nuts was under a tree, but on a slight downslope which means to aim level, he was aiming up into the tree slightly ... he still had perfect visual line of sight, but must have been clipping that invisible "extra" bit that counts as cover, and therefore he could not "see" me until I was on top of him.

Thanks for the tip and images! That's how I have mine set up and, yes, they work great. I've found that leaving the defense station out has no effect on things ... same with fixed weapons ... what does it do that enhances the 'Cover' plan?

Thanks again for all the help!

-Doc

When the sniper is prone you have to consider the center point of the character, though I still never had this issue in any bushes. After few tests, i see the defense station as also useless and not needed. Is better used with a platoon, which you can input, within the plan of defending an area. The AI seem to use this as a priorty spot.

AI do not see through folaige, so just push him up a touch at a time until he sees kinda thing.

OK, one more issue with making a truly effective sniper.

STOP MOVING AROUND!

How can I keep the idle movements from happening? I want him to just crouch there, covering his area, but not doing that animation of looking off to his side and so forth.

And if he has a narrow enough cover area, I don't really want him to move at all. Moving = being spotted.

-Doc

As fof Combat ROE, I've found that ASSAULT works better as they take single, aimed shots as opposed to rapid fire shots that are more prone to giving their positions away.

-Doc