Increase Partition Size

Dick Splash

I have a physical HD which I partioned to 'C' and 'D'. There's only a few files on 'D' and I want to increase the size of 'C'. I've got 6GB's left and the drive only has the OS on it.

I'm using Vista 64 and I've tried to increase the 'C' drive using Computer Management, but the increase option is greyed out.

I've looked at a few forums, but I'm not sure which way to go.

DS

• 10 months later...

After much online forum search [some going back a few years] I found some consistency with some results and then took the plunge. Easy enough, just click on 'Start', right click on 'Computer', then 'Manage', 'Storage', 'Disk Management', then [in my case] right click on the 'D' drive and choose 'Delete Volume'. This changes it to 'Unallocated Space'. You can then increase the size of the 'C' drive. The latter can only be done as long as the newly unallocated space is to the right of the drive you want to increase. I increased it by 10GB and then renamed the unallocated space 'D'. This also works on Win7.

Partitioning a drive for me comes from advice given when I built my first PC as just having the OS on it's own drive would make the PC run faster. I don't know if this is necessary with today's hardware.

DS