CoD 6: MW2 -Setting sales records

Pave Low

Despite all the "PC Outcry" and talk of "boycotts" and them "killing" the game, it is selling Very well

Activision Blizzard Inc said it sold 4.7 million copies of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2", or $310 million of sales, on its first day, setting a new record for the video game industry.

The shooting game went on sale on Tuesday in the most highly anticipated debut of the year. Fans had lined up for hours outside retail stores like GameStop in advance of the midnight release.

Analysts projected unit sales of 11 million to 13 million by the end of 2009, saying "Call of Duty" would defy the weak economy because it appeals to hard-core gamers willing to shell out $60 for the title. Estimates for launch-day sales ranged from $300 million to $340 million.

Much-hyped video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has smashed UK sales records on its first day of release.

The first-person shooter sold an estimated 1.23 million units and grossed around £47m, according to industry body Elspa.

The game sold almost double that of the previous record holder, Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA IV).

Hundreds of gamers gathered at shops around the world ahead of its release at 00:00 GMT on 10 November.

"These first day sales figures are astonishing and clear evidence that videogames are now mainstream in the UK," said Michael Rawlinson, director general of the entertainment and leisure software publishers association (Elspa).

"Our form of interactive entertainment has completely come of age."

The publishers of Modern Warfare 2, Activision, have predicted total sales of 3m across the UK while some analysts believe it could sell 10m copies globally in the run up to Christmas.

Robert Kotick, CEO of Activision, described it as "one of the largest entertainment launches of any media of all time".

I might pick it up in a several months time when the price has dropped a lot, but I'm certainly not paying the RRP for it with all the bits they "left out" or more importantly didn't put in.

I highly doubt 2 or 3 hundred thousand disgruntled players will ever effect this type of game.

I have no reason to be disgruntled. I'm just saying hype is hype. Like Christmas now starts in September, like I said. Don't mean I hate Christmas, but it does mean September is far outside of the festive season.

And you know, it was no word of lie. Google the phrase 'hype sells' and see how many results you get. There's your two or three hundred thousand [results] - and then some.

Edited by WytchDokta

Asda's were selling the PC version for £14 for the first day I am told.

Damn, i checked asda's website the day before but i saw no advertisement for the pc version. Sorry to let you down guys but i caved in and spent £40 at local GAME :wall: shop, it's a poor excuse (but i'll use it anyway :lol: ) ... i run out of games to play.

Those sales figures are almost mind blowing considering the economy. :wacko: Can't say I have even thought about me buying it as I'm sure it don't offer $60 worth of entertainment if you only play SP. :(

Edited by KRP 56

MW2 sales pass $550m worldwide

Publisher Activision Blizzard has announced that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sold-through a staggering $550m in its first five days on sale.

In addition, Microsoft has confirmed some impressive Xbox Live numbers.

On the first day of release alone over 5.2m multiplayer hours were logged in the game,

with over 2.2m unique gamers having a go – the latter being a new Xbox Live record.

Over 11m Achievements were unlocked in the game in the first 24 hours.

$550m in its first five days on sale.

Blimey that's big money.

Taken from that link...

“The title's success redefines entertainment as millions of consumers have chosen to play Modern Warfare 2 at unprecedented levels rather than engage in other forms of media.

How does that enormous figure compare to a films takings on the first 5 days? Anyone?

Movies total gross... don't know about the first five days though.

http://www.biggest-selling-movies.com/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/easy...-2-in-uk-charts

Easy victory for Modern Warfare 2 in UK charts

With first week UK sales reaching 1.78 million units, it's no surprise to find that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has entered the UK sales chart at number one this week.

GfK Chart-Track has confirmed that the game has recorded by far the biggest launch of any game ever in the UK, generating GBP 67.4 million in revenues. The results dwarf the second highest selling title: Grand Theft Auto IV with 927,000 units and GBP 39.9 million in revenues.

This figure is also more than twice the amount of the entire UK entertainment software market last week. As expected, the Xbox 360 version was the best seller with over one million sales on its own and GBP 38.5 million in revenues, a number which was also more than last week's entire total for the UK games market.

Only the controversial PC version of the game could be considered a disappointment, entering at only number five in the individual formats chart. The PC version accounted for just three per cent of overall sales, compared to 57 per cent for the 360 and 40 per cent for the PlayStation 3.

Using these percentages, PlayStation 3 sales can be estimated at 712,000 units (with GBP 27 million in revenues) and the PC at 53,400 units.

and regarding the so called "poor PC sales", an infinityward employee posted the following on their forum

Yes, PC is the smallest percentage in terms of how much sold on each platform but that hardly means anything other than the PC is just the smallest market.

The PC version of Modern Warfare 2 has actually outsold the PC version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in it's first week. Making it the most successful PC version.

Essentially, all this percentage proves is that the console versions sold great, not that the PC version sold poorly, because that's actually not the case. The PC version has done tremendous in it's first week, better than our previous game.

I wont spend a penny on it...not now or later. The whole mess with the PC side of this thing actually drove me in the opposite direction. I reinstalled COD1 and picked up United offensive cheap from Amazon. Still some servers out there running it and the clan I belong to just put up a base assault only server.