OGR Campaign as a 2-man Operation

RileyFletcher_01

Me and my dad are taking on the OGR campaign on the weekends and evenings, and we're doing it with low respawns, no threat indicator, sniper rifles, and on Elite mode. We started out with 8 respawns on the first mission, and as we progress through the missions, we'll get down until we're at 1 respawn each. I'd like to do it without respawns, but my dad gripes about having to watch me play after he recklessly runs into enemy gunfire. :whistle:

M01 - Caves

Obviously, the first mission was at the caves. Our plan: take down the outskirt patrols first, move to the camp, and while I was taking down the caves, he would return to the extraction and cover for me as I extracted myself. We kept a low profile and darted from tree to tree and headed towards the clearing ahead on the hill. Through my PSG-1's scope, I spotted a tango covering the area with an AK47 from his bunker. I chatted to him that I would take the shot, and as the crosshairs closed in, I pulled the trigger, and down he fell. We advanced, and, it appeared that my shot had alerted the enemy patrols on the hill behind the bunker. They hit the ground and started laying down suppressive fire, and I retalliated with seven well-placed rounds from a prone position, resulting in seven enemy casualties. My dad (what the heck was he thinking?) ran, standing into the open, and burst out with two and a half sniper shots. The reason it was two and a half was because a stray RPK bullet happened to blow him head over heels, and I saw him chat in at the top of the screen: "ouch". We moved up the hill, and I quickchatted with the '4' key, signaling him to fall back as I spotted a lone gunner on the mountain ridge above us. I crept a little further up the hill and let the crosshairs slide into place right above his ear. I waited for him to turn the mounted gun one more time, and I pullled the trigger. Scratch anoher one.

I got up to a crouch, and pressing '0' told my dad to rally on me and stay close. We crept through the brush towards a trench of sandbags where I figured an enemy would be. Sure enough, as I peeked around a bush I saw the back of his head as he scanned the distance for movement with his Dragunov. I chatted in for my dad to hold position, and I crawled a little ways forward. I aimed, waited a moment, and took the shot. Another one down. We got up and sprinted up the mountain and neared the camp, and after a while we had reached a position around 70m from the camp. We got prone, and side by side, we crawled up the hill towards them. As we topped a small incline, I slid my scope across the camp and counted 7 enemies, cooking fish and drinking cheap wine. Oh, and you know that guy who's smoking in the camp? Well, he has a ski mask on with no mouthhole. Really? I told him to get ready, and our two PSGs leveled ahead, ready to strike the enemy down. I started to chat in for him to take the three on the right, but instead I told him to play it by ear and nail the first one he could. I counted down from 3, and on 'Mark', we started slaying the tangos who had no idea what was happening. My dad nailed the smoker's friend in the spine, dropping him instantly. I hit fishboy in the head and it penetrated him and hit the guy next to him in the gut. He flinched and started to run for the tent, but I dropped him with a beautiful 'one-two' to the legs. I popped in another mag, and whipped around to nail smoker as he ran behind the outhouse, but my dad dropped him with a perfect neck shot. I saw one of fishboy's friends try to sneak away from the campfire, and he broke into a run towards the cover of the tents. Bad move. I dropped him with a 7.62 bullet to center mass, and he collapsed into the ground. My dad, in the meantime, had killed the last two survivors and we approached the tents, suppressed Berettas drawn. We cleared the camp, and I set a new waypoint on our map; for me the caves, my dad the extraction zone. As I placed our waypoints, I saw a tango running up the hill on the map, and I closed the map and zoomed in on the hill. If you've seen the mission in IGOR, you'd probably know that this was a runner who went to alert the guards at the caverns, which wasn't particulary good news. My dad decided to come along to the caves in case we ran into reinforcements after the enemy was alerted, so together we set off up the mountain.

My partner rounded a rock near the caves and ran into a rifleman slowly approaching with an RPK, who promptly dropped him. My dad respawned back at the insertion/extraction, and I heard that he was already in trouble. I chatted in to lay down immediately and I started to consider my choices to deal with this gunner around the rock next to me. I drew my handgun and crept around the left side. I saw the baddie looking towards my dad's body, and I aimed the pistol at his head. I pulled the trigger, and a silenced round pierced his head, killing him instantly. I heard extremely heavy gunfire coming from the exfil where my dad was pinned down, and thought maybe I could recon the situation from the ridge. I ran to the edge of the cliff in front of the caves, and looked down to see gunflashes in the distance, but couldn't see through the fog well enough to do anything. At least they weren't close enough to harm my teammate, so I turned my scope across the landscape. I suddenly spotted a patrol of seven down by a little shack, and decided to eliminate them in case they tried to attack my dad. I aimed at a tango as he went behind the shack, and foolishly, I took a shot at a man next to him even though two enemies were still behind the shack. Most of them ran down the hill (towards my dad who was already in trouble :o ) and two laid down and laid down fire upon me. I retreated up the hill after dropping two more of them, and I headed to the caves. Our plan was for him to clear the exfil while I cleared the caves and captured Papashvili, but the mission had gone bad and we had no choice but to execute him along with his men.

I crept into the caves, and a heavy gunner with an RPK stepped around the large entrance on the left. I suppressed him with my suppressed pistol and continued into the caves undetected. I looked around a little fold out metal chair and saw a guard at the back cave entrance. I popped him, and crept forward to see another tango in the small entrance to my right. I took him down, and listened as I heard my dad and the enemies' gunshots quitely battling in the distance. I peeked into the cave and launched two rounds into Papashvili's chest, killing him and failing the secondary objective. I finished off his guards and started sprinting back to my dad who was still pinned down at the insertion. He had died twice and was still taking hits, which left us with about two respawns left (we had the respawns on team so if one of us died up to the limit, it would end rather than make us have to watch the other one until he ran out of respawns too). I started running out of the caves and almost got spotted by a two man patrol a little ways from the caves. I looked at my sniper. Empty. My pistol only had 4 rounds left in my mag which was my last mag. I was cornered by two tangos about 25m away, and my dad was still pinned down and using up our last respawns. I decided to take the risk of shooting them. I aimed down my sights, and with three well-placed shots, I killed the first soldier and missed once but finished the second one off immediately after (thank heavens for my realism enhancer mod that lets you do OSOKs :) ) I considered getting myself killed so I would spawn at the insertion and end the thing already, but I thought that would be a cowardly and unrealistic way out, so I started running to the insertion where my dad was needing lots of help. I decided I wouldn't be able to reach him in time, so I instead turned on my command map and started giving him directions for enemies I could see on the map. I directed him to two of them, and as he killed the third one, I saw those beautiful words as he killed the last enemy on the map: Mission Accomplished.

More tomorrow!

Glad someone read it :)

M02 - Farm

We would take on the farm with the SR25 suppressed and the Beretta 92FSSD handguns. Our plan was to coordinate our shots at the assault on the barn, get the pilot to the exfil, take down the farmhouse, send my dad back to the river to cover, and I would race to the exfil along with the weapons officer. Since we needed suppressed snipers, we wouldn't worry about demolishing the F-15. If command wants it done they can send a danged airstrike on it :D We hunkered to the ground and sprinted to the woods near our insertion, and immediately I spotted a two-man patrol approaching from the southeast. I didn't wait for my dad, and immediately took the two tangos down with my silenced rifle. Behind us, I saw movement in the trees, and I aimed down my scope and spotted two more hostiles in the brush, walking away from me. I advanced, and when I could see both of them, I dropped them both to the ground. We waded down the river aways, and then crawled up the riverbank. We got in position behind a pile of haybales, and we began to plan our shots. First, we would call out any targets in visual range. We spotted a three-man patrol to the left of the barn, another three-man patrol in front of the barn pacing from side to side, one tango with a machine gun on the right of the barn, and a tango in the loft, one pacing in front of the hostage inside, and another interrogating the hostage. We decided to take the front patrol first, and we waited until they were away from the door and wouldn't be seen, and when the far patrol turned away, we started delivering silent death to them. The far left patrol turned, but saw nothing in the dark, so we began taking them out as well. We waited about two more minutes, and when the right-side guard came around the corner, I launched a bullet his way which penetrated his collar bone and rendered him dead. I then chatted to my dad to hold position and watch the hostage guards. There were three of them, and I would breach the back of the barn while he sniped them from the front afar.

When I reached the back, I told him to lock on to the pacer. He waited until the soldier paced back into his line of sight, and he called out that he was ready. I counted down from three, and I raced into the barn. Click, click: I heard my dad's gunshots fire in the distance. Suddenly, the mission was failed, and I saw the pilot fall to the ground dead. Congrats, dad, you just killed the pilot. He chatted in and at the top of the screen I saw him say, "oops." I looked at the after-action screen, and saw our time spent on a mission that was failed: 15:47. My dad chatted in 'again', so I restarted the mission. We took the patrols down again successfully, got the pilot to safety, and we set off for the farmhouse. We went into the field behind and to the right of the farmhouse, and we reached a position where we could see the little shed and the old truck in front of the farmhouse. We spotted a three-man patrol plus two other soldiers hanging around the shed. We started firing our suppressed snipers, and all five of them were down. We slowly approached the farmhouse, and I spotted a tango in the top-story window of the house. I chose not to fire for fear of compromising our position, and so we continued to circle the house. We reached the road which left off the map in front of the house, and I saw a tango pacing on the left side of the house along with a three-man patrol watching the left and back side of the house. I waited for the three-man patrol to go to the back of the house, and I pulled the trigger as the crosshairs fell into place across the loner's neck. Down he fell, and we moved to the field behind the house where we killed the three man patrol. I chatted my dad to hug the side of the house in case someone was watching through the back window. We slid across the wall and went into the little passage which led to the side door of the house. My dad got in front of the door and I to the side. I threw the door open and he ran in. Nothing.

He crept around the corner while I checked the closet to our right. Suddenly, a single AK74 shot rang out through the room and my dad fell back through the open doorway. I aimed my pistol sights towards the piano, and as I flanked the corner, I saw and killed a tango armed with the weapon who had killed my partner. He started to head to the farmhouse, and I set him a waypoint to follow since it was dark. He finally reached the house and we crept up the stairs. I saw the tango watching through the window and dropped him. My dad did a marathon across the hallway; bullets shredding through the walls as he sprinted to the room across from the stairway where we were. He made it safely, and I ran across too. We peeked around the corner and saw the WO crouched in the bedroom. I chatted to my dad several times to not shoot the hostage, which he replied to by saying 'how many times have I killed a hostage on a mission?' In reply, I asked him why we never got my sixth Claiming Liberty mission done on the co-op beta test. I recall it having something to do with him killing Kiselev on the docks. Anyway, we continued to approach the bedroom, and the gunner inside with the RPK gunned my dad down. He respawned at the insert and started heading to the farmhouse, but I told him to wait at the river and cover for me and the WO. I'd take the gunner down myself. I slowly stepped down the hall, and when I reached the bedroom door, I jumped around the corner and let out with two suppressed pistol shots. He clutched his gut and fell to the ground, dead. I grabbed the weapons officer hostage and we crept down the stairs, me leading the way. I then broke off into a run across the open fields and told my dad to not shoot anyone wearing a ghillie suit and leading a hostage with no guns. We met him at the river and together ran to the exfil where the pilot was waiting. Mission Accomplished

M03 - RR Bridge

We would have to go on defense this time, we decided, after several failed attempts of attacking the armor column and the infantry down the road. After trying the mission a few times, we decided to have one man wait at the cabin with a sniper while the other went, stirred up the tangos, destroyed the armor, and ran pell-mell back to the cabin. My dad would stay at the cabin with an SR25 while I went up to the bridge with my Enfield L85A1 and took out some tangos. I went to the left flank of the bridge, and soon engaged the six-man patrol covering that area. I took a wound to the chest, but managed to take them down before I went down. I then stationed myself in the middle of the bridge, and once the tanks were very close, I aimed my rocket launcher sights directly below the right-side tank. I waited 'till my reticles closed together, and then pulled the trigger, to see my rocket hit nearly behind the tank instead of the middle of it, where I had planned. So, I had failed my primary task of destroying the tank, and before I could even consider firing another shot, I took a sniper round to the head, sending me falling off the top of the bridge dead. I spawned back at the cabin and entrenched myself on the front porch.

We had already failed this mission eight times because of that darned brass sitting inside the cabin drinking cheap wine and eating sushi, oblivious to the battle outside. I decided to go inside and push the peacekeepers away from the window, but the stubborn mules wouldn't move themselves from the open window where the whole world could see their planning map and their bright blue 'shoot me' caps. I planted myself in front of the window in hopes of blocking any incoming fire, which worked very well. Soon, the two tanks and about thirty tangos emerged from the fog past the bridge, and my dad let out with several rounds, and I watched my map as baddie after baddie appeared as a dark red and dead diamond on the map. I set my rifle to fullauto and let out with a volley of rounds, suppressing about three enemies before they spotted me and began returning fire. I kept slamming more mags into my rifle, tearing up tangos, reloading, and so on, when a lucky shot knocked me to the floor of the cabin in a pool of blood. I respawned at the road near the cabin, and ran like heck to the safety of the porch; bullets ripping up the dirt behind me. My dad had racked up nearly 20 kills now, with no deaths so far, and I was right behind him on the kill count as I gunned four tangos down on top of the bridge from my perch in the window where I was serving time as a human shield for the idiot peacekeepers. I pulled out my rocket, and running to the front porch with bullets smashing the wood to pieces around me, aimed at the first tank which was giving my dad a heck of a time out there. I knocked it off the ground, and swung my sights to the other tank, destroying it immediately. I fled back into the cabin and pulled out my rifle. I clicked it over to semi auto and began popping the individual tangos around the burning wreckage of the two tanks. My dad dropped four more tangos under the bridge supports, and I saw one mad Russian charging us with an RPK and a bandolier of grenades. I aimed down my sights and waited until he was almost to the wrecked truck, and BAM, we had successfully protected the cabin from all attackers and were on our way home. Mission Accomplished.

M04 - Village

Our mission was to secure the village crossroads, contact the Peacekeepers in the village, and extract along with our allies. We sprinted through the trees towards the bridge where we would cross the river, and I spotted two tangos at the guardhouse on our side of the bridge. My dad said he's take the one on the left, and I aimed my crosshairs on the right-side guard's neck. I counted: one, two, click click, click click, our suppressed SR25s nailed both tangos in the head. My dad's target survived and started running for help, but I dropped him with a couple of well-placed shots to the back. I went prone and prepared to take a long shot towards an enemy in the distant guardhouse across the bridge, and I could only see the top of his beret. I waited until my crosshairs closed together tightly, and pulled the trigger. He went down hard.

When we reached the other side, a radioman with a heavy MG and a runner with an SMG met us at the bridge. They gunned down my dad, and I dove behind his dead body. He respawned at the insertion and ran to assist me. I waited until radioman got close, and nailed him in the face with my rifle. The other one charged me, and two shots to the leg dropped him to the ground. I got off the ground and approached the village alongside my dad. We spotted a hostile inside the car garage next to the general merchandise store, and I told my dad to flank the building and make sure nobody else was nearby. He said it was clear, so I took the shot. We saw shadows around the corner of the shed, and figured more enemies were behind it. Sure enough, three tangos, probably a forest patrol, broke from cover and began searching for us. We let out with seven sniper rounds, dropping them all. To our left, two enemies ran from the run-down house and sprinted for cover behind the store. I shot the leader in the leg and he did a perfect roll into the side of the store. His comrade started shooting in the air (what did he think it was, a bombing run? :rofl: ), and I shot him in the back of the head, ending his silly shinnannagin. We moved up to the house, and I drew my handgun and approached the house door. I heard noises inside and knew at least one baddie was waiting, and when I reached the window, I fired my M9SD several times, but I got hit in the arm by an RPK round from the window, knocking me back. I dove against the wall, and checked my soldier stats screen. I'd been shot in the arm and chest. I crept to the window, and jumped up, nailing the tango twice in the gut with my handgun. We headed up the road, and my dad went up the little incline that overlooked the village near the road. I saw two enemies in the distance who had just broken out of the fog, and they were heading our way. I nailed them both, and swung my scope down closer to see a two-man squad firing heavy rounds towards our peacekeepers who were holed up in the village. I decided to break off and snipe them from afar, so I flanked them to the left and went to the hill, my dad following. We reached the ridge to the north of the village where we could see all six of the gunners in the village. We each aimed at our chosen targets, and started letting out a volley of gunshots, just like in our op at the caves. Except this time, whadoyaknow, when we started firing, we soon realized that they were invincible; thanks RSE for your patheticly scripted anti-sniper cruel and derranged script! So, we had us a situation. We had about two more minutes before the timer went off and our PKs turned off invincibility and became sitting ducks just waiting to be shot. And, yay, until we walked up in the open into the village, the tangos would still be invincible. We raced down the hill, but as we approached, the peacekeepers were gunned down and the mission failed. Oh well, nobody makes a perfectly scripted mission, right? I guess RSE didn't consider tactics being used there :D

We restarted and went through the op easily once more with no casualties, and when we arrived at the village, I began taking down tangos by the dozen, when we got flanked by the reinforcements approaching from the village. My dad got killed, but I took them down, and my dad began running back to me. He met up with another squad of reinforcements, but he survived and began approaching our spot again. He reached me and we began taking down more and more of the village tangos. My dad shot one last shot, and a body hit the dust. A blue message appeared at the top of the screen. My dad shot a peacekeeper and failed the mission, didn't he? At least I thought he had, but he'd actually killed the last enemy, thank goodness. I was impressed that he'd passed a whole mission without killing either me or an ally. :lol: Mission Accomplished.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not at all! By all means, please post those accounts. You have quite a talent for this and it's very nice GR entertainment. Wish you wouldn't use respawning though, as that somehow spoils the stories' immersion a bit. Same goes for the "player" perspective. Why not make dad Captain Smith and you Master Sergeant Jones and tell the story from a soldier's perspective, leaving out comments pointing out the fact you're playing a game. That would really perfect it, IMHO. Just my 2 ct...