Giampi

Africa Burning by Migryder

Author: Migryder

Type of mod: Mission Pack

Download

File Size: 560kb

Required: Desert Siege, Island Thunder

INTRODUCTION

The review of last Migryder's mod, Pressure Mission Pack, had a good success among the community and this pushed me to review one of his previous mods, specifically Africa Burning. Here I remind you that the other mods by Migryder are Guatemala Mod and Knight Fork, both of them Mission Packs.

CONTENTS

As all his other mods, Africa Burning is an essential mod, consisting in 9 missions, all based on DS maps. Here you will not find new weapons or skins. But, unlike Pressure mod, these missions are not server-side since some new kits have been created plus some briefing world maps. As usual for Migryder all the missions are Co-op friendly; if you play them in SP be aware that the missions are really difficult. Therefore if you think you are a real Ghost and you want to challenge your ability don't hesitate to play Africa Burning, but novice players should think twice before to face continuous defeats.

BACKGROUND AND MISSIONS

Africa is a wonderful continent but sadly famous because of his widely spread conflicts. Here Migryder didn't take inspiration by an actual and present conflict but imagine a new conflict with "The republic of Osama Bin Laden" that is storming Africa with his armour force. Hence the Ghosts have been sent to help the conventional American Forces to stop the threat.

Missions are coded to be played as quick missions. It's quite easy to create your own campaign file (and this is the way I've played them) but be aware that there is no storyboard among them.

Therefore it's right to consider the mod as a mission pack and not a Campaign Mod (differently from Guatemala Mod, always by Mig).

All the maps of DS have been used including the MP map Ravine. Let's analyze some of them:

Migryder likes tanks a lot and this pack makes a very good use of armour assaults, both enemy and allied. Mission 1 (set in riverbed map) is incredible: I believe it's the best total war mission I've played but also the most difficult, I think I've quick reloaded the mission more than 20 times to be able to complete it.

Mission 2 has no tanks but don't think it will be like a walk in the park to complete it. There are no many missions around based on Ravine map (it's a difficult map to have an inspiration from) and I believe this is a very good one.

I'm not going to go on with an analyze of the other missions but don't think they are easier...

In the real spirit of Co-op missions (Action first) you can't find insertion or extraction cinematics or immersion factors such as in-game messages or in game wav files.

AB_pict1.jpgAB_pict2.jpg

BUGS

Despite what Migryder says in his Readme file I couldn?t find any bug in my gameplay. It?s true however that I?ve played the game only in SP so if you hit against some bug do not hesitate to give a look at the readme file.

Anyway since this is a review I have to be as much as correct possible so I have to tell you about some small typo errors and the not so good briefing world map among others. Only minor details that do not particularly affect the good rating of the mod.

CONCLUSION

A very wonderful mod. The only disappointment I had is that, having played all the missions, you have the feeling of not having won the war against Osama. It looks like many movies that are directed just looking forward for a sequel. In fact there is no a final mission. But play it as a mission pack (like it is!) and you will have hours and hours of enjoyment.

FINAL SCORE: 8.5 / 10 (For SP) 9.8 / 10 (For Co-op)

Gossip

At the beginning of the development of the mod Migryder approached me asking if I could beta-test it and he sent me the first 3 missions. I had to decline the offer since I was busy with other stuffs (mainly real life). Anyway the background of the mod was based on a new Republic of Osama-Hussein! Real events brought Migryder to change it!!!

Fan Feedback

?While were all waiting for GR2 grab a copy of Africa Burning. Migryder scripts some of the best missions you'll ever tangle with."KRP 56

?I've had a chance to play some of these missions and I agree. Very heavy firefight missions and very intense combat. "H-Hour

Reviewed by Giwex

Edited by GiWeDa

Being a big fan of Righthand's missions I was disappointed when he quit scripting for GR until Migryder came along and scripted Guatemala which gave me the best challenge since 12 Weeks by Righthand. Africa Burning is Migryder's second mission pack and a fine piece of mission scripting it is which will give you many hours of well thought out battles. K-Ratz - Road Kill - Yard Dogs are just a few of the 9 missions that really test your mind along with your trigger finger. If you haven't tried these missions yet download them and give them your best shot. As Giwex stated is his review if you want to see how good a SP you are try Africa Burning. I'm someone who never uses the threat indicator or quick saves while playing GR missions but I must admit the mission Mamba Dance got the best of me and I had to use quick save to survive that one. :devil:

• 2 years later...

Funny I'm playing this mod as a campaign right now for the umpteenth time and am still having a blast. and YES Mamba Dance is still putting a serious bite on me and Yard Dogs is still taking a bite out of my back side. :angry: What carnage! :o

Like already said in the other thread: I've never had missions with such intensive fire fights and my platoon never earned so much medals before playing "Africa Burning".

I liked the fact (among other things of course) that Migryder used for "Mamba Dance" the Desert Siege MP map "Canyon", it's without a doubt a great mission although the mines suck ;-)

Mig, this salute is for you!

Thanks Twiller!

I agree, they were way too sneaky, especially as you may have been already ripped up pretty good before you even headed down to EZ-1 in Mamba Dance...if I ever redux Burning I'll set that right...meantime go into IGOR and disable those blocks or delete em entirely...BTW - the key to that mission is your sniper and how you time switching back n forth with him...covering the natural bridge...

Guess I could release a new version of the two missions without mines or some kind of improved mines.....

I'm currently involved in another African project at a very grass roots level...I've already requested we have a model of 3 meter Black Mamba that slithers up to you on the trail raises up to eye level and hisses "let's dance!" :lol:

mig :ph34r:

Thanks Twiller!

I agree, they were way too sneaky, especially as you may have been already ripped up pretty good before you even headed down to EZ-1 in Mamba Dance...if I ever redux Burning I'll set that right...meantime go into IGOR and disable those blocks or delete em entirely...BTW - the key to that mission is your sniper and how you time switching back n forth with him...covering the natural bridge...

Guess I could release a new version of the two missions without mines or some kind of improved mines.....

I'm currently involved in another African project at a very grass roots level...I've already requested we have a model of 3 meter Black Mamba that slithers up to you on the trail raises up to eye level and hisses "let's dance!" :lol:

A redux edition would be so great :yes:

Mines could be left in the elite level and removed from the other 2 levels :)

Another African project? :o

The biggest Hit GR1 has, is the unbelievable amount of quality mods out there! I have never played these missions before and certainly take my hat of to Mig for this.

We inserted with only 5.

Mission 01

:lol:

We were hit hard and restarted with a full proof plan. :huh: Started in a different place and :no:

We pushed on (4th attempt) and i was spotted by the Leader who another killed. We killed all but no End, notes at bottom. Fantastic mission otherwise, we all had a BLAST for sure.

Mission 02

:hmm:

Who makes a mission on that stupid map? :boxing:

Sitting and Defending, Shooting and Scooting, Fast Extracting, all possible. Yet again a fantastic, challenging little mission.

Mission 03

:rocket:

Once we figured the safest route, we had a good game playing it as a full on assault. Hope to push the rest out soon. Thnx for the reminder post GiWeDa, never seen the mod before. Nice work Mig, really having a tough time with them.

MIG: The game has

failed to end here at least once during SP and once during Co-op. I've retested with several

mods and not seen this again, cause unknown.

Cause i think is:

You cannot eliminate all resistance, without taking all tanks?

Possible solution:

Enable New Rocket check if leader dies? Just a guess?

Thnx again, had a Fun night playing them Mig.

Tinker

Thanks for the suggestion Tinker, I'll look into that... glad you guys are having fun, maybe in the end you'll get a chance to kick back with a cold one and watch the Ghost's Dire Straits tribute band on M-TV...hehe.

don't let that dawg bite ya...

No! The mines must remain! Of course they suck, but hey, that's war!

BTW - the key to that mission is your sniper and how you time switching back n forth with him...covering the natural bridge...

The sniper...I have to say it was definitely my supporter lying on the bridge and eliminating everything coming across who made this mission. The rest of the team was just covering his back.

guess it don't matter which class, but yea, the bridge is crucial...

oh almost forgot....I kept looking at my AB folder the missions sub folder and thinking something is misssing I went to all my copies on this machine and all were the same 8 missions, then it hit me I know I did two night missions one on Aurora, where is it? So I had to download my own mod from here/Ghostaholics so I could have a complete copy on this machine! Aurora map = Casper Down

:ph34r:

guess it don't matter which class, but yea, the bridge is crucial...

oh almost forgot....I kept looking at my AB folder the missions sub folder and thinking something is misssing I went to all my copies on this machine and all were the same 8 missions, then it hit me I know I did two night missions one on Aurora, where is it? So I had to download my own mod from here/Ghostaholics so I could have a complete copy on this machine! Aurora map = Casper Down

:ph34r:

Top stuff Mig.

But you are diabolical! :lol:

NHs haven't had a go at them...yet!

I'll send 7H the link to d/l the mission pack so he can put it on the server.

NH2S(Glub)

:lol: Not familiar with that nick. He won't get mad if we call him that?

Glub? No se, but do Orc's get mad? :rofl: regardless, it'll always be ST a me.......

thanks Flagstaff2....working on it.....see below...

and now for some :spam:

Under construction - P2: A Cold Day In Hell

meantime try Gautemala: Ides of March - http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...=view&id=18

or

Knight Fork - (all night missions) http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...=view&id=34

there is also Pressure, but you might want to hold a little bit for it as there may be a surprise in the very near future regarding it and a very nice mod that was released last year..... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

We pushed through the remaining missions tonite and had a great time.

Few issues with the buildings on the Train Depot Map, but that can`t be fixed. ;)

Had some good games here. Had our Butts handed to us on a plate on some.

Thnx again Mig.

:zorro:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...