First case of Ebola confirmed in the United States

ApexMods

The New Your Times reports:

A man who took a commercial flight from Liberia that landed in Dallas on Sept. 20 has been found to have the Ebola virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Tuesday. He is the first traveler to have brought the virus to the United States on a passenger plane and the first in whom Ebola has been diagnosed outside of Africa in the current outbreak.
As the disease has swept across West Africa, many health experts said it would be only a matter of time before it reached the United States. Hospitals and health departments around the country have been preparing for it, and a number of false alarms have occurred. But this time, the case is real.

The man, who was visiting relatives in the United States, was not ill during the flight, health officials said at a news conference Tuesday evening. Indeed, he was screened before he boarded the flight and had no fever. Because Ebola is not contagious until symptoms develop, there is “zero chance” that the patient infected anyone else on the flight, said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, director of the disease centers. Ebola is spread only by direct contact with body fluids from someone who is ill.

Link to full article

it's worth noting they are currently very close to putting a vaccine into testing, as far as I'm aware.

it's amazing how the world is always overshadowed by bad news, and never good news, it's no wonder that depression will be the number 1 cause of death and severe disability by 2020.

anyway, that's my 2 pennies worth, I don't think ebola is anything to really get our knickers in a twist about. at risk of going perhaps too political, I'll stop here ;)

• Like 1

it's amazing how the world is always overshadowed by bad news, and never good news

A very good point that I actually wholeheartedly agree with, Alex! This immediately made me regret my post, because rather then drowning in despair under the constant torrent of alarming and depressing stories our media keep showering us with, it's certainly the much wiser choice to search out and concentrate on uplifting news.

I love a bit of good news especially when its about people who are normally put in a bad light :) there was a report on yesterday in my local area that 3 teenagers saved a woman and her dog from her burning house. Nobody was hurt thanks to those three.
considering that our area's news programs are very "anti youth" it was good to see news like that.
This report gets me every time though, and then this report came some time after, and this one.
if you live a life exposed to bad news then you're not living a life exposed to the truth.

But the permanent decline of CoD, it's about freaking time! :D

• Like 2

Many thanks for posting those links, Zee! :thumbsup:

I'm aware that we're moving off-topic here, but it's for a good cause, so here's an amazing imgur photo gallery that should manage to restore one's faith in humanity.

Some samples:

PFgl2sI.gif

CKmpgbJ.jpg

51RqbKz.jpg

D7HlyYp.jpg

3CLqLyJ.jpg

And for a daily dose of positive news, may I suggest visiting http://www.reddit.com/r/UpliftingNews/

:group:

• Like 1

it's worth noting they are currently very close to putting a vaccine into testing, as far as I'm aware.

it's amazing how the world is always overshadowed by bad news, and never good news, it's no wonder that depression will be the number 1 cause of death and severe disability by 2020.

anyway, that's my 2 pennies worth, I don't think ebola is anything to really get our knickers in a twist about. at risk of going perhaps too political, I'll stop here ;)

The threat of Ebola is absolutely something about which you should be concerned and to which you should be paying attention. The potential for widespread infection is secondary to the potential for widespread panic and all that accompanies it, if and when the virus takes hold in the West.

Well, i'm sorry but it just doesnt concern me at all, Like i said gsk are close trialling a vaccine

The news companies over here are oversensationalising the risks, i'm not sure about america.

Call me ignorant but I just think its another bird flu and swine flu cases, they were 'so deadly' and so 'unmanageable' that people started to panic. Diseases flare up just like the flu outbreak a few years ago, it happens its part of nature, if the disease spread is managed correctly then it should be no concern to the general public. Especially when the disease is harder to transmit than most.

personally i'm carrying on as normal in the hope and knowledge that it is being talked about and strategies for dealing with the virus are being drawn up. Its not a case of "its not affecting me so why should i care?" In case you minterpreted what i previously said as that.

Ebola is survivable certainly in the western countries where healthcare is better and the patients are more willing to seek treatment.

It makes me wonder why they didnt quarantine that man who came back from liberia regardless of whether he was showing symptoms or not

By saying we should be worried, it furthers that panic, then what do we have on our hands?

A panic pandemic that is more deadly than any disease.

Edited by Zeealex

I believe there were only 3 fatalities around here where I live when Swine flu was passing by, a minority of people were sick, but they never were anywhere close to death, it was believed to be very deadly and ofcourse its worse for the people in africa as they're not used to the treatment here in the 1st world area.

Admittedly, the way this epidemic was initially underestimated and insufficiently handled in West Africa is staggering, if not frightening. Some leading epidemiologist have voiced their concerns that it may now no longer be possible to contain the outbreaks in Sierra Leone and Liberia, and that the only thing left to do in those countries was to let the virus burn itself out, which basically means closing down borders until everyone is infected and wait for over half the population to die off.

While this may be an overly pessimistic view, it sure is most alarming to see so many health workers among the casualties of the disease, many of which with a level of medical background and equipment that should have provided sufficient protection against transmission, yet we see more and more of them succumbing to the virus every month.

All of us in the so-called civilized world completely rely on our advanced sophisticated health systems to protect us from the scare of such a pandemic, but if not even highly qualified specialized epidemiologist manage to protect themselves when facing the infected, we may need to take the threat more serious than initially thought.

Still, with the media demonstrably being more than capable of blowing any kind of perceived threat completely out of proportion and eagerly jumping at any chance to proclaim the potential end of the world as we know it, public awareness widespread fear and subsequent calls for exaggerated measures should indeed stop this threat before it amounts to a clear and present danger to our way of life.

Great post, Apex. (Your posts always are.) There's no rational explanation -- beyond political explanations that we can't touch here -- for certain African borders not to have been closed immediately and for Western nations not to have closed our borders to anyone coming from those nations, until the virus has run its course. Ebola is nasty, nasty business.

Ebola is killing nearly half of the medical professionals who are trying to help contain and fight the virus. If that doesn't stop and make one stop and consider the potential seriousness of the situation, then I'm not sure what would. Mobs of superstitious villagers aren't helping matters; they're blaming Ebola workers for the spread of the virus and slaughtering them. So, the hopes for a quick containment or development of a vaccine may be a bit light at this point. Add to this the unwillingness of governments to do the necessary and temporarily close borders to help prevent the spread of the virus.

Ebola is killing nearly half of the medical professionals who are trying to help contain and fight the virus.

being a medical professional, I take that quote seriously.

working for a state hospital, full of holes and mis-management and bureaucracy, I've taken a silent approach of taking care of myself with utter disregard to the bureaucracy I'm faced on a daily basis, i.e. paper mask that's cheaply designed to prevent catching TB and other airborne disease, etc...

I carry my own rubber MIL-SPEC mask and NBC filters and surplus MOPP gear if time comes.

Call it paranoid, but, I've witness events in my life that are often described as "biblical events."

Last Friday, there was a mock scenario played at work.

An actor/patient came in for an Eboli scenario. As expected, upon registration, the hospital failed already.

along the way, the scenario was wrenched up, telling medical staff, lab came back positive for Eboli infection. Staff reaction failed.

Prevention scenario. Failed again. No equipment or PPE available at that time. Add salt to open wound, I handed over a box of said "paper mask." Inspector said, not enough. I took Herculian Effort not to expose my mask and PPE.

I know two hospital in Chicago prepared for such scenario.

Only two in a city with 2,707,120 citizens

I'll restrain my post before it gets political

• 1 month later...

Ebola is killing nearly half of the medical professionals who are trying to help contain and fight the virus.

being a medical professional, I take that quote seriously.

working for a state hospital, full of holes and mis-management and bureaucracy, I've taken a silent approach of taking care of myself with utter disregard to the bureaucracy I'm faced on a daily basis, i.e. paper mask that's cheaply designed to prevent catching TB and other airborne disease, etc...

I carry my own rubber MIL-SPEC mask and NBC filters and surplus MOPP gear if time comes.

Call it paranoid, but, I've witness events in my life that are often described as "biblical events."

Last Friday, there was a mock scenario played at work.

An actor/patient came in for an Eboli scenario. As expected, upon registration, the hospital failed already.

along the way, the scenario was wrenched up, telling medical staff, lab came back positive for Eboli infection. Staff reaction failed.

Prevention scenario. Failed again. No equipment or PPE available at that time. Add salt to open wound, I handed over a box of said "paper mask." Inspector said, not enough. I took Herculian Effort not to expose my mask and PPE.

I know two hospital in Chicago prepared for such scenario.

Only two in a city with 2,707,120 citizens

I'll restrain my post before it gets political

Infection Control in UK hospitals are a joke and can't protect you from getting a common cold let alone anything else.

Ebola? Just for selling papers it would appear.