PC Hardware needed to play GR

Hey everyone,

would you mind giving me some good advice on what hardware to purchase to run GR so that I am play over the net all the mods that I keep seeing being produced here?

I've got a 360 but I'd really like to play the REAL Ghost Recon and just need to know the pc hardware that works best.

Thanks so much!!! Long Live Ghost Recon!!!

You don't really need much at all, but if you want something extra so you can play pretty much everything, then:

MSI Z97 PC MATE - around 90 dollars.

i5-4570 @ 3,2GHz 6MB - around 170 dollars.

8GB RAM - around 70 dollars.

MSI/Gigabyte/Asus GTX 750 2GB - comes around 130 dollars.

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB - 80 dollars (better than a HDD)

650w PSU 80+ - around 75 dollars.

Now I took the average prices from a computer hardware store near my home, so I don't know the prices in Alabama.

If 600+ dollars is too much then someone else here might give you a better option or you could ask for help from a PC/hardware store near your home.

• Like 1

Help me out. Sounds like you want to play GR(2001 by RSE) when you speak of the mods here at GR.net.

But this is posted in the GR:Future Soldier forum?

Well, its gotta be atleast 1 of those, with the stuff I listed he should be able to play both with no problems.

I myself want a:

i7-4770k @ 3,5GHz 8MB

MSI Z87-G45-gaming

Gigabyte GF GTX770 OC 2GB

Kingston 16GB RAM

Seagate 1TB HDD

Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB

Corsair 850w PSU

And with a few other add-ons to the PC it costs 1400 euros (killer price I know :( ) + a mouse, keyboard, new mousemat (GR:Online mousemat sucks - I wanna throw it away) and a monitor or 2.

Actually, I found GR:FS needed a good PC with a good GPU and decent RAM, but the original Ghost Recon will play great on any half decent PC from the last 2 or 3 years.

Well, with the piece of crap laptop I have, I managed to play GR:FS through all the way on hardest mode (even pulled 40fps on some maps for most of the time), I wouldn't say that GR:FS is a demanding game, if you would've experienced it from my perspective, you would have a different opinion. (and tbh I had less than minimum req's to even play the game)

Thx everyone for all the input!! This is awesome!

Yeah, I would like to play old GR for sure but also FS and really the mods that I see on this site more than anything else because I keep seeing cool mods posted and wonder how can I play this stuff, especially on a real team. Blame, I like your outline for a gaming rig, no question. And I"ve got a projector for a screen plus and hdmi hook-up through my stereo system. Just need a machine that is a small form-factor so it fits in my entertainment rack.

Sorry for not responding sooner but I really appreciate all the input. I had NO idea that GR would tank AMD processors. However, AMD has come out w/the 16core processors, now, too. Which AMD processors tank??

As for which forum, well, didn't rightly know what was the best place to post this. I've got FS for xbox and really really want more than what's offered through a gaming rig.

For the online stuff, is there a "steam" engine or something where we login and play?? Honestly, never done that and don't know what to expect for being in a "clan" or fire-team, whatever the jargon is, but what I think keeps GR alive are the dedicated folks who make the mods for the PC game. Just wish Ubi would take SERIOUS note and follow up with the real GR instead of Battlefield rip-offs. Ahhh ranting... anyway, my goal is to definitely play the mods with a team.

Well Steam is just a client service that offers you games to buy and you can trade people other ingame items for money or just as gifts.

Most of the games have their own servers, but if you bought the game from Steam then you can only play them throught Steam, some games, like Counter Strike and Left 4 Dead are made by Valve and they're connected to Steam servers.

To play GR you'd still have to use gameranger or something to play with other people online.

Sorry for not responding sooner but I really appreciate all the input. I had NO idea that GR would tank AMD processors. However, AMD has come out w/the 16core processors, now, too. Which AMD processors tank??

16 core AMD, why have I not heard of this?!

It's the AMD FX 6300 I've experience bad framerates with, and an AMD radeon HD 7850, it runs Arma 3 on very high/ultra settings FLAWLESSLY, but GRFS can't squeeze out more than 24 FPS

16 core AMD, why have I not heard of this?!

It's the AMD FX 6300 I've experience bad framerates with, and an AMD radeon HD 7850, it runs Arma 3 on very high/ultra settings FLAWLESSLY, but GRFS can't squeeze out more than 24 FPS

Hey Zeealex, here's the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-opteron-6300-warsaw-cpu,25832.html

and INTEL is playing catch-up haha

http://techreport.com/news/26056/intel-releases-15-core-xeon-e7-v2-processor

BTW, you're the 1st Lady Ghost I've met. Nice ta meet-cha.

Yeah, I noticed that between PS3 and Xbox 360, the PS3 had serious frame issues w/GRAW 2 but XBOX didn't. Had NO idea that GRFS exhibited the same problems on non-intel chips.

Check this:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/server/opteron/6000/6300

It appears that the 6300 line has "upgrades" and the 6308 quad core is 3.5GHZ. Where you using a lower speed chip from AMD? That chip line "seems" pretty good especially when coupled w/DDR3 memory. Also, GRFS or GRAW2, I've NOoooo idea what they're using for the physics engine and how processor intensive it is so the Graphics Card could play a huge role if Ubi is off-loading all the physics calcs to the graphics card. But I also noticed that the L2 cache is ... pretty low.

And I just noticed that the 6300 you mentioned...it's a server grade processor and GRFS smoked it?? wow! :wall: And the machine pointman outlined....pretty dang awesome!!! Thx pointman!

O, & here's info on the graphics card pointman likes. Pretty freak'n sweet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

I have never had GR "tank" any AMD processor I have used. GR runs flawlessly on this system. As for what you need to spend you can seriously build a GR demon for around 200.00 US. An A6 APU @ 3.6GHz processor will run it great and they are dirt cheap. Also I am running everything from USB 3.0/2.0 drives. Including ArmA 3. So you can build a pretty great running system for little money that be added to later on. Here is an example budget system:

All Amazon.com prices looked up today (09.05.2014)

AMD A6 5400K 3.8 Ghz Dual Core APU - 54.99

MSI A55M-E35 FM2 MB - 44.99

4 GB Kingston Value Ram 1300 DDR3 - 35.49

Seagate Barracuda 160 GB Sata HD - 23.00

Antec MicroATX Tower 19.99

LG DVD-RW drive 17.99

480W power supply 15.65

Total 212.10 U.S. before shipping and taxes. And this will play GR and many others just fine. Everything is also up-gradable

Some will tell you you need to spend alot more for Intel stuff but realistically you don't.

I didn't add OS because that is really your call. Most of us own various versions of windows or they can be had for dirt cheap. I purchased Windows 8.1 for 85.00 (OEM version)

you seem very doubtful of my statement Twcrash, well to be frank it's just as bad on other systems too, not just my AMD one, my friend's intel one suffers the same fault, apparently other people around the internet are suffering with it too.
unless I was running the game at 1680x1050 with everything on low, the game wouldn't reach above 30 FPS, and it would still stutter wildly. I wasn't going to suffer with poor performance on a quite honestly terrible game.

you never need to fork out for intel, realistically, AMD does the job just as well. to me they are just a bragging rights brand among gamers. people will use the excuse of 'heat' and 'efficiency' yes, intel are more efficient, yes intel don't run as hot, but does that justify a £200-£400 price tag? no, I don't think so. not when a top of the line AMD FX CPU is half that price.
Among professionals, that's another story, they NEED that efficiency and extra performance boost, gamers don't, gamers just need their game to work well.

http://www.tomshardw...-cpu,25832.html

http://techreport.co...e7-v2-processor

ooh right, they're server CPUs they're gonna be pretty expensive with the board and whatnot added on XD
good to be the first! :D lets hope I'm not the last, nice to meet you too!

hey twcrash, thx for your load-out. preciate it. this gives me something I can actually bite off w/o breaking the bank. Zeealex, thx for the note on AMDs. If I purchase inexpensively w/AMD, then it's no big loss to start out with. It's the small form-factor that I'm shooting for and one that has an HDMI out so I can pump video/audio through my stereo system. twcrash, have you played graw2 and GRFS on the setup you outlined??

Edited by aragorn777

Nope Zee I don't doubt you at all nor am i dismissing your issues.. I am sure you're having/had those issues I was just stating I have owned only 1 Intel based rig (my last one was a Duo Core 2 Duo 2.66 Ghz) and all the prior others were AMD based So I am just saying from my experience is all. I have just the opposite issue My intel rig never did play anything well and was one of the most frustrating times in my gaming life.And it cost 3 times more than my current system. It was the reason I bought a PS3.

As for problems I had a mouse once believe it or not that made my games stutter and lag something fierce. I switched out the mouse to a Logitech one and poof the issue was gone and I realized it was the mouse that whole time. Weird but true.

Yes I have played both of those. The only game that truly beats me up is ArmA 3 and it depends on which build I am on. Some run flawlessly and then they update and the system chugs to play it.

I have found that the APU's love fast memory so splurge on fast memory. Meaning if you can afford G.Skills1866 DDR3 memory buy it. It is a huge difference from generic 1333 DDR3

Edited by twcrash

• 2 weeks later...

you seem very doubtful of my statement Twcrash, well to be frank it's just as bad on other systems too, not just my AMD one, my friend's intel one suffers the same fault, apparently other people around the internet are suffering with it too.

unless I was running the game at 1680x1050 with everything on low, the game wouldn't reach above 30 FPS, and it would still stutter wildly. I wasn't going to suffer with ###### poor performance on a quite honestly terrible game.

you never need to fork out for intel, realistically, AMD does the job just as well. to me they are just a bragging rights brand among gamers. people will use the excuse of 'heat' and 'efficiency' yes, intel are more efficient, yes intel don't run as hot, but does that justify a £200-£400 price tag? no, I don't think so. not when a top of the line AMD FX CPU is half that price.

Among professionals, that's another story, they NEED that efficiency and extra performance boost, gamers don't, gamers just need their game to work well.

http://www.tomshardw...-cpu,25832.html

http://techreport.co...e7-v2-processor

ooh right, they're server CPUs they're gonna be pretty expensive with the board and whatnot added on XD

good to be the first! :D lets hope I'm not the last, nice to meet you too!

I once heard that Intel CPU's process threads backwards if AMD does 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Intels have been built to run 7,6,5,4,3,2,1. I remember hearing this back in the P4 days. but who knows my memory is bad as it is anymore.

I am currently building a AMD 7850 Kaveri based system for a friend and that APU uses HSA so all cores work together to distribute the load. So you have 4 cores on the CPU side running @ 3.x to 4.x and 8 GPU cores that can be used by the system as well so technically you have 12 cores at work instead of only 4 cores to rely on. You need to look it up and check out HSA interesting way AMD is working their APU's

Hey guys, I was posting a question bout what type of box to run GRFS on and it turns out that other versions of GR will also run on it that twcrash outlined a few posts back. I'm trying to find a "least" expensive but reasonally fast gaming rig that works fro GRFS as well as the other mods to GR, specifically GRAW 2. The Mods that I keep seeing posted here would breath new life into GR for me as I only have GR for Xbox - GRAW, GRAW2, GRFS - and the thing that bugs me is the "forced" story line along with the lack of flexibility in personal and equipment. GRFS completely lost touch with the GR original basis of development and followed BF3, in my opinion but I love GR and want to play the MODs because they get back to the fundamentals.

• 1 month later...