Download Size: 43 MB

Installed Size: 154 MB

Type: Total Conversion

Requirements: Ghost Recon, Desert Siege, Island Thunder, Patch 1.4

Download

Discussion

post-19895-13079795902268_thumb.jpg

Introduction

Armenia SCARed features a three-mission single-player and co-op campaign set against the backdrop of geopolitical dispute in the Caucasus region of Eurasia. The mod features new single and multiplayer maps, weapons (incl. custom reticles and sounds), characters, vehicles, menus and loading screens, and a new musical score.

Background

February 2006. There is an ongoing real-life conflict involving Armenia, Azerbaijan and the geographical region of Nagorno-Karabakh. The dispute dates to 1988 with full-scale war erupting in 1991 following the collapse of the U.S.S.R. Until the May 1994 cease-fire, all parties to the conflict engaged in indiscriminate shelling and rocket fire against civilian targets, including in both directions along the Armenia-Azerbaijan border. Before the cease-fire, the Azerbaijanis also mounted fixed-wing air attacks against civilian targets in both Nagorno-Karabakh and Armenia. At present, the mediation process is at a standstill, with the most recent discussions in Rambouillet, France yielding no agreement.

The mediators of the OSCE (Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe) Minsk group - Russia, United States, France - announced that talks are scheduled to resume in March 2006 in Washington, D.C. To date no international peacekeeping troops have been deployed to the conflict areas. It is estimated that between 500,000 and 900,000 people have become IDPs (internally displaced persons) in Azerbaijan and Armenia as a consequence of the conflict. Nagorno-Karabakh is a de facto independent state, calling itself the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. As yet, it has not achieved international recognition as a Republic.

Azerbaijan's position has been that Armenian troops must withdraw from all areas of Azerbaijan outside Nagorno-Karabakh, and that all displaced persons must be allowed to return to their homes before the status of Karabakh can be discussed. Armenia does not recognize Nagorno-Karabakh as being legally part of Azerbaijan, arguing that because the region declared independence at the same time that Azerbaijan became an independent state, both of them are equally successor states of the Soviet Union. The Armenian government insists that the government of Nagorno-Karabakh must be part of any discussions on the region's future, and rejects ceding occupied territory or allowing refugees to return prior to talks on the region's status. These and other issues which the parties have been unable to reach agreement upon have contributed to the inability to arrive at consensus and formalize a peace agreement.

The fictional story of Armenia SCARed takes place after an accord has finally been reached between the disputing parties during their scheduled talks in Washington. Peacekeeping troops have been deployed to the Caucasus to help implement the agreement signed by the three Republics of Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Nagorno-Karabakh, and once again the Ghosts are the very tip of the spear of the peacekeeping efforts.

The Campaign

Starting with new menu screens and very fitting background music, the mod creates its very own atmosphere from the moment you launch the game. The campaign welcomes you with intricate mission briefings that are accompanied by detailed newspaper reports. All this sets the stage for immediate immersion, and once the first mission begins you are drawn deeper into the story by exquisite cinematics which visually convey additional particulars of the situation at hand.

The campaign is intense, with exciting missions that demand tactical execution while offering an almost completely free approach. All missions are dynamic, meaning that depending on how you undertake them they can play out very differently. Additionally, great care has been taken to offer scalable difficulties for novice and experienced players alike, e.g. choosing the Elite setting will pit you against formidable opposition, and even accomplished Ghost Recon veterans may find their match in Armenia SCARed. Above that, every mission holds a random element of surprise, and even though I have completed the campaign many times it still holds an undiminished amount of replay value.

The Maps

Beautiful. This term will come to your mind when faced with any of the new maps, even while under fire from enemy positions. The mission surroundings are actually a serious security risk, simply because it's difficult to concentrate on tactics when you just want to stop and look at the amazing landscapes. Models and textures are among the best ever to be created for Ghost Recon, atmosphere and visual conditions fit perfectly, and there's even the occasional easter egg to be found for the attentive player.

The layouts effectively, yet casually, hide Ghost Recon's dimensional limitations, so you'll hardly ever encounter the dreaded "invisible wall" effect, and there is ample opportunity for taking cover, ambushes, flanking maneuvers etc. Horizons and skies perfectly aid the illusion of an unlimited battlefield, and carefully placed sound effects augment the overall impression of realistic environments. All this adds up to another accomplished immersion factor that underlines the tension created by the missions.

The Weapons

As the name suggests, you are outfitted with FN Herstal's legendary SCAR (Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle). At the time of the mod's creation still in its infancy and going through initial field trials, Armenia SCARed presents the weapon in its original prototype form for both 5.56mm (SCAR-L) and 7.62mm (SCAR-H). Various SCAR models are available to the player, ranging from base configurations to sniper and LMG variants.

In addition, you'll find new 9mm Beretta 92FS pistol models, LAW and RPG anti-tank rocket launchers, a CompM2 equipped M249, and a newly modeled PKM light machine gun in the mod's armory. All weapons offer a visual feast of hires textures and high-polygon 3D models, as well as delicately balanced ballistics and handling. The convincing audio report of each weapon adds the finishing touches to an impressive new arsenal.

Conclusion

Three maps and missions and a modest download file size of only 43 MB may lead you to easily overlook this relatively "small" mod, but don't be fooled by its humble demeanor. Armenia SCARed is actually a giant. The mod is at the very least as polished as the game itself, and the quality and attention to detail in Armenia SCARed speaks volumes of the effort that went into this gem. There simply isn't much room for improvement. Armenia SCARed is among my absolute favorite Ghost Recon mods and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you haven't tried it yet, I implore you to do so right now!

My heartfelt thanks and congratulations to the Armenia SCARed team!

10/10

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe those missions are mine! The script looks so complex, Hey, once I was good :rolleyes:

And my betatester was so demanding and perfectionist! If it wasn't for her I couldn't do it.

Edited by Giampi