Cataluna F1 Grand Prix

xG5kdo

Yep. Tonight at 1800 Lima (0700 EST Sunday 04-05-2003) there will be an F1 race from Cataluna Spain.

Poll position is held by Ferrari's Michael Schumacher with 1:17.762. Second is Schumacher's team mate Rubens Barrichelo, third is Renault's Fernando Alonso, fourth is Alonso's team mate Jarno Trulli, fifth is Jenson Button from BAR, and sixth is Toyota's Olivier Panis.

Quite disappointing is the performance of my favourite driver: Rocky's countryman David Coulthard who got 8th, although his team mate (#2 driver) Kimi Raikonen is currently the Driver's Championship Leader. McLaren Mercedes seems to be having some problems this season. On the other hand, Ferrari's new car seems to be doing really well.

Some pictures to please the eyes:

_39173535_m_schum_ap300.jpg

Ferrari's new car driven by Michael Schumacher.

_39173533_coulthardap_300.jpg

David Coulthard who is 8th fastest.

_39173537_raikkonen_ap_300.jpg

Kimi Raikonen. His car ran off the track during qualification and will start the race from the pit lane.

Make sure you F1 fans out there catch this race!

Out.

Yeah for sure I'll sit up tonight and watch it - always do. Sadly though, even though I love to drive Catalunya - virtually :rocky: - it is one of those tracks with few overtaking opportunities resulting in sometimes very boring races.

Jack :)

Agreed! At first I was a bit dubious about these new rules but with hindsight they may turn out to best thing to happen to F1. There are so many variables now it's unlikely anyone will completely run away with the championship. And you couldn't say that it wasn't an exciting race last night :o=

I just can't wait until McLaren releases their new car! David Coulthard wanted it to be released on the next one, but we may have to wait until the one after. I bet they'll give Ferrari a good challenge.

@Mark: A parade? Don't you ever see drivers attacking each other and trying to overtake from outsides and insides on races? F1 has got to be the best race on the face of the planet! The fact that it's dominated by a few teams (Ferrari, McLaren Mercedes, Williams BMW, and Renault..to a certain extent) does tend to make the winners the same people, but between these drivers, there's real competition. Not to mention F1 is the sexiest race car. Just look at those sleek curves!

Out.

Real racing IMO is MotoGP racing!

The 2001 season was fantastic - 100cc 4 strokes and 500cc two strokes, what a sound!

Now in the 03 season the bikes run at 130db and 200+ mph, and there's some battling going on for podium finishes!

I love it

Now that's real racing. Forget this NASCAR crap! Anybody every watch the Detroit Grand Prix? I got to actually go and see it once. Man, are those cars loud!

Ahahahahah! You've made my day, Para! Never been to Detroit GP, but (barring excessive work) I may get to attend both the Indy 500 and the United States Grand Prix in September :P

The Detroit GP is CART, right?

Mika Hakkinen Jr... err.. Kimi Raikkonen is gonna be in the top 4 by the end of the season. The way the points are going now, he may rank higher than a certain Italian-car-driving German ;)

Now that's real racing.  Forget this NASCAR crap!  Anybody every watch the Detroit Grand Prix?  I got to actually go and see it once.  Man, are those cars loud!

Ahahahahah! You've made my day, Para! Never been to Detroit GP, but (barring excessive work) I may get to attend both the Indy 500 and the United States Grand Prix in September :P

The Detroit GP is CART, right?

Mika Hakkinen Jr... err.. Kimi Raikkonen is gonna be in the top 4 by the end of the season. The way the points are going now, he may rank higher than a certain Italian-car-driving German ;)

I think so. It's been so long since I've even been able to watch it. I love GP racing though. I mean, these guys are on courses where, at one moment, they're riding a straightaway at 220 mph, then the next instant they're navigating hairpin turns at 60mph. NASCAR drivers have it easy - just ride around an oval track, with tires already adjusted to help them ride the loop, and try not to hit anyone else.

Couple of downsides to the new rules, the stupid (cost cutting) option of only having one wet weather tyre made the previous races lethal. I think the length of the race is also a problem, say having 50 laps instead of the 2 hour max, or 300(?)mile limit. Looking forward to the Monaco GP because the new rules will shake that grid up seriously badly. Anyone remember a few years ago when Michael Shu was stuck behind one of the Jordans for 3/4 of the race? He was fuming. Now thats entertainment.

Anyone watch the World Championship Snooker? I know some people find it boring but the level of skill and nerve needed in that game is pretty much uncomparable. Keep your end to end basketball, and your "World" (ha!) Series, give me classic man o man pub games like Darts, Snooker and fighting. (well boxing).

Couple of downsides to the new rules, the stupid (cost cutting) option of only having one wet weather tyre made the previous races lethal. I think the length of the race is also a problem, say having 50 laps instead of the 2 hour max, or 300(?)mile limit. Looking forward to the Monaco GP because the new rules will shake that grid up seriously badly. Anyone remember a few years ago when Michael Shu was stuck behind one of the Jordans for 3/4 of the race? He was fuming. Now thats entertainment.

Anyone watch the World Championship Snooker? I know some people find it boring but the level of skill and nerve needed in that game is pretty much uncomparable. Keep your end to end basketball, and your "World" (ha!) Series, give me classic man o man pub games like Darts, Snooker and fighting. (well boxing).

Snooker is a serious test of patience! I used to play all the time with the kids at the orphanage. I got pretty good at it too.

They're not running Spa this year.. Upcoming, in this order are

• Austria - Spielburg - May 18th
  • Monte Carlo - Monaco - June 1st
  • Canada - Montreal - June 15th
  • Europe - Nurburgring - June 29th
  • France - Magny-Cours - July 6th
  • Britain - Silverstone - July 20th
  • Germany - Hockenheim - August 3rd
  • Hungary - Budapest - August 24th
  • Italy - Monza - September 14th
  • United States - Indianapolis - September 28th
  • Japan - Suzuka - October 12th