Argylls new Project...GROM!!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the smooth modifier does nothing great on the cuba chrs,I've tried but they are just too square looking!!

Ok forget that last I just tried it under smooth it went a bit distorted then I applied smooth again on the 1 button!!

GROM_12b.jpg

Edited by Argyll

Ahhh Yeaaaaa!!!

Home Sweet Home Baby!

To make a long story short, I am now on a Mac... I switched over from PC, and the one and only thing I missed ever since was 3DS Max... I got a program called Virtual PC, and installed a copy of Windows XP on it and I just installed 3DS Max... my life is good again...

:-" :D:lol::rocky::rolleyes:

Something is going very very wrong,all my chrs are crashing the game!

sometimes the chr shows up in the window deformed,then I go back a step and ..........bang,been trying for 3 hrs now on the one chr,and I don't know if its my maxfiles,Ghost recon or what,or 3D Max itself.............agh!!!!!!!

Textures are also all jumbled up!Not looking too good guys!

Edited by Argyll

Well that's just disconcerting. :( No clue what it could be. Are the models you're using newly export or just reskinned old ones? Maybe you can have Chems try and export them for you and eliminate one of the possibilities. I hope you get it resolved soon, you really made a helluva lot of progress today and i'd hate to see it all for naught. I think this mod of yours is the one I'm most anticipating yet.

Well SC I pulled the same guy,if you notice the guy is the old sweat from the SOF mod minus the baseball cap and reboned and skinned him again but it still appears translucent...............I need to go away and think about this,as I've come too far to say stuff it!!

Well.... thats really messed up! All the models were looking great, and I doubt its a Max problem... try doing this CK, put the model there, but leave the texture out, so basically when you try to play with that character, the skin is going to be all white, then see if the arms and head is still translucent, if it's not, means it's a skin problem, not the models fault.

After all this I have gone through, you cant let go now man! I am 3/4 done making the model for "Beryl", then comes texturing, so you CANNOT give up now!

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Ok heres the update guys

It seems that the base max files that I used from the SOF mod were causing the crash,so I have had to start from scratch on the chr building again,however I have a stock maxfile for the GROM and it's just a case of adding all the boonies ,helmets etc,so far the 5 that I've redone are all fine!

I'm not sure what the transparency thing was,I'm sure it was to do with the smooth option,however ,all is well again and back in business,my wife thinks I slept on the sofa last night...........shhhhh!Little does she know!! :lol:

I was gonna say, you sure you didnt accidently set the properties of the head to see through in max? Cause that would explain why onlt the head and bare arms had the problem. Or even did you accidently set an alpha channel up on the face texture?

Nah Chems as I used a case model from the SOF mod,and he came out fine!

Weird as hell!!

Besides that I don't know how to set transparencies!!!!!!!

Avey.................I'm a 40 year old punk :lol:

Edited by Argyll

Ok I think I may have found the problem!!

When I created the skins as a jpeg in Photoshop,when I went to save them as an .rsb extension,I had 3 different options of them!I think I saved them as an R8G8B8(which is 24 bit!!),and I think they have to be saved as R5G6B5(which is 8 bit)!!.........this is what happens when you become careless and tired!!...........so to all you modders out there,don't over do it................rest up from time to time!!

yeah mesh smoothing wouldnt cause a texture transparency. that is alpha related.

a couple of suggestions...for starters I wouldnt save your textures as jpegs...that raises compression which sacrifices quality. For me I use psds so that I can access the layers easily and then save as a .rsb. I also just got deeppaint which I found requires .bmp files. I'll have to look into that.

next...one of your models could use some mapping work around the collar and armpits...it was the model where you applied the smoothing to the arms.

Last...im sure you know this but if your getting crashing in game you can check the ike file to see whats causing it.

Im available on msn if you ever want to chat.

Yo CK, Im done with the Beryl model, I shall now proceed wirh texturing... well not now, now Im going to finish cigarette and go to sleep, but tomorrow when I get a chance Ill finish it and export it into GR. Then it's al yours...