[AMD A10 5800K sytem ]

Oelmuvun

I just built a AMD A10 5800K based system. Great system for under 400.00 bucks. There is no comparison (even the I5 can't keep up)

It is interesting to note that the A10 5800K is only a little faster than a Phenom X4 9950.

You know, the one from mid-2008; just thought I would put that out there.

Though it does have an advantage of being relatively cheap.

Edited by Pave Low
Split into own new thread as the subsequent posts were O/T for the thread it was in (and moved to "Computer Discussions" to facilitate further discussion)

Hey runs ArmA III great, Skyrim,BF3 and Farcry3 just fine so it can be as fast as a pentium D as long as it works. I am not stuck on "supposeblys" I am happy with it. I saved enough to buy my PS4. I have a yearly budget for my "toys" and this was a perfect fit.

Here is where it beats an Intel I5 which came out in 2011.. "Just thought I would put that out there"

http://youtu.be/HA2iC-ZfxJc

And here it is against a I3 which was released 1.2013:

http://youtu.be/JcA9W1xb0Cs

So again I think it holds up just fine.And for people like me with a tight household budget (Mrtgage,kid,car payments ect) it is a great way to get some great gaming in and not break the bank.

IDK man, if you think an A10-5800K will last you a good solid five years before being too slow then you can go ahead and try it.

However I am going to say that I sure am kicking myself for going AMD in 2008 instead of getting an i7. I had deemed them too expensive since I have bills to pay too you know. Now I regret it.

I bought a slow, barely overclockable CPU, with a terrible performance:watt ratio just because it was initially a little cheaper. I am not making that mistake again and I do not have to break the bank in order to not cheap out like basically all of my previous systems.

Of course it helps that I am not very interested in consoles so that saves a *lot* of money. Sales on Steam and GOG also permit better hardware too.

mine is a quad core 3.8 ghz overclockable to 4.6 or something if in 5 years something hits that needs a 4.6 something more than 4 cores ill worry about it then. 2008 hardware didnt see a I7 either.Also if there is a newer chip i can drop it straight in. I mean right now a 8 core FX is 199.99 how much you think that will be in a year? 130 bucks or so? But with the advent of newer cores I just dont see a huge jump in speed (hasnt been in 5 years til now) nor do I see a need for 6 to eight cores since nothing seems to use the 4 we have now. Man I am with you the Steam sales are awesome and i just gifted like 10 copies of Torchlight through GOG as well to friends. But again I think an I7 is awesome just not totally warranted. its like saying you gotta gave a Ferrari to goto the corner liquor store. Sure it looks great and you impress everyone but your still buyin twinkies like the rest of us lmao.

I'm an i3 user and my laptop isn't really the best either, but 10fps is a joke for that one, mine runs at pretty much stable 25-30fps (L4D2)

Maybe not the same configuration or settings you would have to look to see but I believe ya. I had games that said it woyldn't run on my old system run just fine. I just had to change the settings some.

Edited by twcrash

A Ferrari would be more like a dual/quad socket board imo. :P However I would gladly take a Challenger/Camaro to the corner store instead of a dodge neon or something. hehehe (but then it would be my primary car including trackdays)

Of course car analogies only go so far. While a *really* valuable car may live in a garage, you would not be likely to spend $5000 on a computer and then leave it off most of the time.

My point about the A10-5800K was more this:(the power consumption part)

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46157-amd-a10-5800k-dual-graphics-evaluation/?page=3

And if after a few years you want to toss into the mix a GTX670 for some extended life:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/61510-amd-richland-review-a10-6800k-a10-6700-benchmarked-15.html

You will have to excuse the A10-6800K review, I used it instead of the 5800K one because there are more results in the graphs but it still includes the 5800K.

Perhaps you are not ever going to use a discrete card and that is fine, it does spectacularly well on it's IGP vs other IGPs despite the extra power usage.

And about upgrading, when the Phenom II X6 came out I was very much considering upgrading since my motherboard had a BIOS update available to support the new CPU. but in the long run I may as well have just started with the i7 considering the upgrade price.

Being able to upgrade a CPU is certainly nice do not get me wrong. Except that unless you start with a weak CPU, by the time you need to upgrade that CPU the whole system probably needs an upgrade as well. And I really hate saying that but it is realistic.

If you can make your CPU work for a few years without cursing it or banging your head against the wall then more power to you. I never had much luck with that though, so if you will excuse me I have to go back under my rock and cringe because I know you want to play games and I do not trust that sort of CPU&GFX to last in a gaming rig.

But prove me wrong.

nah i'll be more than happy to do a faults post as well. Stock fan is about the only thing I recommend changing from a stock setup. I switched to a Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo. System ran hot without it. now it is just fine.

The CM Hyper 212 Evo is a great choice for a budget-friendly cooler!

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 aint bad either.

as for that video, not sure if it's my browser but it's a little jittery at times. i suppose that would be expected when recording the screen too.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update the A10 6800K is released running at a cool 4.4 Ghz and quick turbo to 4.8 with no overclocking required. Fits in your existing A10 slot as well (FM2 ) My MB manufacturer released a bios update to cover the new processor as well which is nice. Cost of new processor? a easy to swallow $150.00 on Amazon... nice

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 aint bad either.
​

Good lookin fan for the money as well!!!

Edited by twcrash

The A10-6800K was released a couple weeks before you did your build if I remember correctly. I did not mention it because I presumed you were looking for the 5800K's price drop after the next new thing was announced.. But it sounds like you upgraded, did you?

Also, if you were running an A10-5800K your socket is probably FM2 instead of AM3/AM3+.

It wasn't released when I built it but it may have been out when we were posting. I picked the newest one at the time actually (which was a little while prior to that post). Anyways still a great deal at 150.00. Also yes mine is a FM2 I was mistaken in stating AM3

Edited by twcrash