Advice on buying a new PC

JohnTC02

That's not a good sign at all... In my experience, seemingly random failures like that are often caused by hardware problems or heat issues. They may very well crop up again. I would recommend at least running memory diagnostics as a precaution. Windows 7 has a tool built in - under Administrative Tools from Control Panel, pick Windows Memory Diagnostic and let it do its thing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine arrived a few days ago and I'm having a problem where every few seconds, the computer seems to freeze for half a second or so. It can happen once every few seconds or there can be a string of quick freezes. It's very annoying. I'll contact the company's tech support but does anyone know what might be causing this? I don't remember noticing it until after I started installing things. I think I had only installed one game when I first noticed it.

I got a new computer in January and have the same problem 2nd Ranger.

I only notice it in games. Have updated all drivers, checked the RAM, and tried lowering graphic options ingame. No improvement. It is only a minor annoyance but still.

The only thing I have not done is buy a good DVI cable to hook the monitor to the computer.

The new computer and monitor didn't come with one so I figured a cable is a cable and bought a cheap one. If you use a DVI cable, I'm not suggesting you run out an buy one but as in my case it could be a possibility. Would be worth googling at the least.

Mine arrived a few days ago and I'm having a problem where every few seconds, the computer seems to freeze for half a second or so.

That sounds like a hardware or driver problem. I would start by stripping the PC down to the bare minimum - unplug everything except the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I would even unplug the dvd drive and floppy drive if you have one. Then boot up and see if the problem is still there. If not, then start plugging things back in until the problem reappears. Also you can check the WIndows event log to see if there are any messages in there.

wombat50 - your first instinct was right... A cheap DVI cable is just as good as an expensive one unless you need to run the signal over long distances. If the cable is bad or can't handle the signal, you'll just end up with no picture on the monitor.

Ditto what MeanMF said about DVI cables... either they work or they don't there is no reason to get anything other than the cheapest functional cable. As for the stuttering problems... If you are running Win7, then I might suggest that you fire up the "resource monitor" application and watch to see if something is running when you get the jumps. It could be something as simple as your anti-virus or indexing service hitting the hard drive in a bad way. I would also suggest ensuring that your motherboard/chip-set drivers are all up to date -- default/bad drivers for your SATA controller can easily cause these types of problems. If that does not isolate the problem, then (the somewhat painful) process that MeanMF outlined is probably the best bet to figure out where the problem may be.

Ok I may have found the problem. Since I got this PC, it has been unable to sustain a wireless internet connection. The router could connect wirelessly to the computer but would not stay connected to the internet. So I have been using a wired connection with the ethernet cable, but the computer has been constantly searching for a wireless network. I just disabled the wireless connection and the freezing stopped instantly.

Edited by 2nd Ranger