model upgrade: Susan Grey (for real this time)

Zeealex

this is how happy I'm feeling with 3ds right now, I've decided I'm going to set myself a challenge, and that is, to overhaul Ghost Recon models, and give them the look of at least 2008 standard by the time I'm finished.

Just for the sheets and giggles, not for any gaming purpose, as the faces are likely to be degenerate and not be very good for use in games.

I did something like this a while ago, but that was when I was starting out with 3ds, getting used to it, and i just thought tessellation and smoothing were the bee's knees :P

not this time, this time I have at least some (stress, some) modelling and modifying skill, and although my current WIP upgrade may look like crap, pardon my french, it's one up. and actually gives some structure and detail back into the face rather than smoothing it out.
this time I've used teselation with my super awesome "onlyusedthisprogramforbasicstuff" skills, AKA, I tesellated the areas that needed tesellating and started moving verts. it was rather relaxing... odd I know.

I started on susan grey, when I'm finished it'll be Jacobs next.

okay so this is grey's head before I started
grey-before_zpsa4b662a7.jpg

and these are two recent WIP shots:
Grey-upgrade_zpsa17541c9.jpg

Grey-upgrade2_zps3b8c5825.jpg

Plans:

• continue to add detail to ears, hair, neck and cheeks.
  • Weld Verts, fix/remove degenerate faces
  • Remove static eyes and replace with new independently moving models (ooh, shiny!)
  • Get to work on the cap and uniform
  • throw it all together
  • hope
  • if it works, rig it > port to UDK
  • if not run it in Maya and play about with animation.
  • run around, laughing maniacally, screaming "IT LIVES!!!"

and just so you know, I've never modeled an eye before, it's going to be HILARIOUS!! XD

if you have any thoughts and questions other than "holy crap, have you gone mad, woman?"
post below and I'll get back to you ASAP :)

P.S: GOAT SIMULATOR IS OUT ON STEAM TODAY!!! BUY IT!!

dinky update, put the textures in, and I was actually surprised to find that the face texture still works remotely well, that'll make my life easier.

updated the ears, nose(removed degenerates), and added some (currently very scary looking) eyes.

yeah, this model has suddenly gone from being about 6000 polys to 20,000, I hit the tesellate button at one point when the model was selected, and didn't realize until it was too late... that's not going to help. so it's going to need to look like it's utilizing those 20,000 polys, and then i'm going to optimize the ###### out of it.

texturedcomparison_zps0cbed68b.jpg

probably going to port the head into UDK and see how it looks in that lighting. if it lets me go near it with this model!

Edited by Zeealex

as you can see, I've done a rough texture of the eyes, I'm going to redo them at some point, once i've either collapsed them with the base mesh or added independently moving bones.

this is just roughly put together in UDK, I imported it as a static mesh, just to make absolutely sure that there weren't many degenerates, and I'm pleased to report, any that UDK did remove, are not important to the rest of the mesh.
Grey-1_zps0c545fc8.jpg
Grey-2_zpse9b9b95a.jpg
Grey-3_zpsfc61ea75.jpg
Grey-3-annotated_zps46271189.jpg

there's still a lot of work to go before it's completely ready, it needs to be optimized, i did try to optimize it to 9,000 polys but it looked terrible in UDK, so I'll have to make use of what there is now and really push my skills (or lack thereof) to the limit to make her look good enough.
not to mention, I've got to whip out the texture hat and try upgrade her face texture with normal and specular maps (oh what fun!)

I haven't touched the hair, cheek and brow area yet, that's why they look a bit terrible, well at the moment everything is a mess, but it'll be cleaned up... I hope...

once I'm done with the body model, I'll add a skeleton and try and get her working as a skeletal mesh.

upgrade ghost recon models with no solid modelling skill i said, it'll be fun i said!

I haven't really looked into ambient occlusion maps I'll admit, but it does look like a 'must' for something like this, once the normals have been created I'll start looking into them a bit more, I'll probably look into displacement maps a little too.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a few updates to the body model, for now I'm leaving it without tessellating and just getting the basic shape as good as possible.

basically what's been done so far is the collar has been removed, it was annoying... sorry, but it was easier to completely remove it.
The hat has had some subtle re-modelling, the original hat used a single face with a double sided texture, it was one of the first things i changed, It's also been smoothed out a little, but the actual utility cap is quite squared so I left some hard edges in.
The torso has been reshaped, giving the model a more feminine look, with lower profile armor.
Slight curvature was given in the start of the arm, and 'the hunchback' has been reduced.

I also got rid of that damn bum bag!!! i was laughing meniacally as I destroyed that annoying contraption!

Hats_Comparison_zps2408c117.jpg

Grey_updated_model_Base_zpsd30ee4de.jpg
Grey_Updated_Model_Base_2_zpsd94e1f2f.jp

Comparisons:
Grey_updated_model_Comparison_zps1543164
Grey_updated_model_Comparison_2_zpsf8e65

next on the list: the legs, the drop leg platform will be getting more detail, and the pistol holster will be too.

then tessellation will start, the boots will get more detail, and the hands will either have fingers cut into them, or I'll create new ones and add them on.

Thanks crash! ;)

got really sick of the head, the model just wouldn't behave correctly, there were degenerates all over the place, verts that wouldn't weld and hard edges that, pardon my language, wouldn't off!

so rather than give up, I casually fused a brand new one on, hot from the press! I've still got to make some modifications, personal feelings but she looks too young

Grey_New_Head_zpscc1a37dc.jpg
I added new hands on too, they're fused directly onto the model and the UVW has been modified to reflect the changes

Hand_View_zpsae618431.jpg

I added an earpiece, it still needs work it's a very basic placeholder so I can get rid of the hand-mic from the body model, and I'm going to completely remodel the hat to fit the new head.

the new model additions were done quite easily thanks to autodesk's nifty new program, it was like creating commander shepard, only slower, and with more choices.

damn that looks like some Arma 3 graphics or next gen-GR1 :D

you think so? thanks! i was actually going to see if anyone knew how to port heads into Arma 3, it's about time the female mods were looked at again :P

she reminds me of this Air Force personnel riding on golf cars to go from point A to point B

say whut? :blink:

oh for god's sake, they all wear masks! no one is going to be able to tell the difference!!

something like arma 3 yeah, it's understandable, because it's a game that #1 has civillians, #2 has very customizable characters, and #3 it portrays general everyday frontline forces, not a super tacticool special ops group.

it is weird seeing all the civilians being men in A3, in the Characters_f .pbo, there is a female skeleton, and female classnames, did make me wonder if they were going to implement female characters at some point, maybe they ran out of time, who knows.

but you can tell in arma 3 that the guys are blatantly male, broad shoulders and all, but in GR:P it's not that noticable, stick a mask on them you will hardly be able to tell.

Edited by Zeealex

• 3 weeks later...