I think I may have been converted (and a question)

Zeealex

Holy Crap... Slap me and call me an idiot but I think I have found a place in my heart for big ol' windows again!

since installing windows 7 I've never been more in love with my PC, yes, there's still a love for Linux but geez, the difference in sound quality on the two operating systems is incredible! and sound quality means a LOT to me, as I listen to quite a lot of music, and I would like to enjoy the sound, it's crisp, powerful and I've never met sound like this on a windows 7 machine before other than a Toshiba laptop I tried once which had the Dolby digital enhancement software.

It's really quite quick, and for an OS running on the 64 bit architecture, it's very forgiving on the RAM and CPU, I was expecting Usage problems all over the place. but I think the maximum I've seen it use so far is 18% and the RAM usage is comfortable at 1.5GB of the 3 available gigs I have, don't worry, i will be doubling the available memory ASAP.

Okay so i'm not liking being harassed by AVG and the Auto Updates again, but it's worth it just to enjoy using my desktop to it's full potential again. seriously, it's like the thing has just drunk 10 cans of red bull!

so windows 7 i think this video sums you up pretty well:

Question time!

Any Tricks of the Trade to keep the OS going speedy gonzales?
Also, I have the 54GB Ubuntu partition deleted, but windows setup wouldn't let me format it, would I need to use the ubuntu disk to format it to NTFS so i can use it for my files?

RE: RAM usage

Been a while since I looked into this so I may be mixing something up but Windows Vista/7/8 do pre-caching so it will make use of unused RAM then unload precached things when it needs more space for your other apps.

So when you install more RAM and see the usage spike up to 2-3GB or whatever, this is why.

And before XP lovers complain... You have 4-12GB RAM these days, why are you not using it? Windows uses it when you are not, and then it gives it back when you need it. win-win.

You should be able to create a new partition in the unused space on the disk, then format it with NTFS. This is all done through Disk Manager. And yeah, the 64-bit versions of Windows will happily use however much memory you throw at them to pre-cache programs, so don't think that extra memory is going to be wasted.

I'll try throught the disk manager then, thanks MeanMF. I thought doubling the memory would provide a nifty performance boost in gaming scenarios seems the memory boost, will boost everything. good to know.

photoshop is smooth as a baby's bottom on this machine now my lord it's heaven.