Contents: 8 mission campaign for DS

Released: January 2006

Requires: Desert Siege (1.4 Patch)

Filesize: 2.0MB +small GD Patch

Download

Review by Janie42

(Note: playable SP+MP)

Introduction

Ghost Defiance (GD) campaign uses original DS story (Eritrean army apparently needs Ghost's help to oust a belligerent Ethiopian army faction that has muscled into Eritrea) and stock DS maps w/changed environments - best is likely (red) Aurora which plays nicely w/out use of night vision. Campaign mode offers DS's original heros for unlocking.

If you're out for complex scripting, eye-candy, swarms of enemy, insertions, etc. you won't find it. As far as straight-forward missions w/solid briefings, Ghost Defiance definitely delivers. There's a good balance to mission objectives and game-play style; briefings are well done; mission design parallels original DS re: numbers of enemy, types of challenges, ai responses, etc., and also difficulty levels work w/this mod.

Scripting is aimed at getting the job done, no extras excepting the author has had some fun w/voice comments. Missions run smoothly w/triggers, plans, objectives completion working properly (GD3 Moon Rising requires patch install). As far as ai scripting/plans, in some cases patrol zones, cover points, path additions, changes to ROE, etc. may have added to realism; for example, on several missions a Ghost sniper can pick off 3-4 enemy standing dolt-still before the hostiles "wake up," but probably Ghost Troop would rightly respond: "Well, don't use the sniper, then!"

Background/Story

Same as DS. There's not much magic to GD's story-telling here, little additional info is provided, so immersion factor/feel has not been enhanced. The final mission could have offered something more via either briefing or plot to build the sense of the campaign arriving at a successful conclusion without use of RSE-DS outro.

New Maps/Retextures - NA

Skins - N/A

Weapons & Vehicles - N/A

(Note: compatible (in SP anyhow) w/use of fav skins mod and/or weapons mod)

Extras - one insert cinematic; wallpapers; good readme.txt

Sound - some fun has been had w/the voice sounds; perhaps "hoohaa" is Ghost Troop's signature sound?

Janie42's SP Pick for Best Mission: GD6 Shadow Maker (Aurora)

Mod Issues

A very minor snag is that GD missions usually will complete once main objs are done and any ONE Ghost arrives at EZ (vs. all active platoon members), thus you may have to load last save if a mission ends before you've completed obj X necessary for hero unlock. Also, remember to download & install the small patch.

Conclusion

Ghost Defiance 8 mission campaign for DS comprises fun, carefully made, straight-ahead mission play, no bells and whistles, but unlike many mods, GD is designed so it can actually BE completed in SP Veteran mode without the player really needing to be a consumate "expert," forfeit many teammates, or play a mission 50x just to get through it. This is a plus. Real experts or MP'ers can, as Ghost Troop says, easily make these missions harder in a number of ways!

Overall Score: 8.5/10.

Thank you Ghost Troop for making Ghost Defiance!

Edited by Janie42

:DCheers for your comments. Ghost Troop is pleased that you are pleased and vow to make even better Mods for the Ghost's out there. Keep the comments coming and let us know if you want more in our missions.

:o= Eyes On; Finger On The Trigger,

:starwars: Ghost Toop, out.

@Ghost Troop... great work! Playing Ghost Allegiance now - at G05 LockDown - some nice "twists!" Were I on POW side, I'd be unhappy Janie42's Ghosts were coming to rescue me; so far my guys haven't succeeded in saving their comdrades (or themselves!). Nice campaign... keep 'em coming!

And no problems at all with GD3

CTD GD3 is buggin' me - alot - & odd Ike.log has no info at all re reasons? I can finish mission w/out CTD only as long as I do NOT touch the keyboard, i.e., might be 1stx or 3rdx, c.b. switch to NV, change ROE, set path for ai fireteam, but definitely I will CTD if/when using keyboard, never w/mouse? Was it same for you? Okay, you brilliant modders, anyone know what's wrong here? :blink:

And no problems at all with GD3

CTD GD3 is buggin' me - alot - & odd Ike.log has no info at all re reasons? I can finish mission w/out CTD only as long as I do NOT touch the keyboard, i.e., might be 1stx or 3rdx, c.b. switch to NV, change ROE, set path for ai fireteam, but definitely I will CTD if/when using keyboard, never w/mouse? Was it same for you? Okay, you brilliant modders, anyone know what's wrong here? :blink:

I have a fix for that mission now, and will put it up shortly, on the news page and in the downloads section. :)

:oops:New Mission (GD03 Moon Rising) has just been sent to GR.net.

:gun: * Fixes GD3 hang issue. 1000 apologies.

* New Ghost Troop Wallpapers.

* New Movie; New Sounds; New Vehicle.

* New Insertion; New Bots; New Briefing.

* New Animations; New AI Skills.

* New Replay; New Cheats.

* New Lease On Life. (Are We Friends?)

If you liked the original mission, BackUp Desert03.mis.

We think you will like the new mission even more.

:'( Ghost Troop hopes this mission will make up for any stress.

:starwars:Thanks for the reviews and the posts, all !

Head down, Eyes on and Finger On The Trigger !

Ghost Troop, over and out.

Edited by Ghost Troop

Ghost Troop, can you tell us technically what was the problem? it could be helpful also for us to know it. Thanks

:snipe:Locating the cause of the glitch at the start of "Moon Rising" has been an

endless saga, and we released it hoping that it would run well for most people. Please forgive us.

We have created a new mission from the original and believe it is pretty special. It is slightly different to the original,(If you want to keep original, Back Up "desert03.mis), but is worth the download.

The problem has been fixed and we changed things like the Insertion Zone location, removing the "waves" sound along the beach, etc. but we believe the problem was actually a "gull" sound. As a player or his team cross over the sound effect, the game would drop out. We were as shocked as you but that is our assesment and these sounds are not in the replacement mission. Having no ike.log didn't help us when making the original map and is the reason it was not fixed. So much time was wasted looking for the issue that we released it hoping that it wouldn't be noticed. Boy, were we wrong.

So there you have it. The whole story, a new mission with more bells and whistles than any other mission in the Ghost Defiance Campaign, and a promise that we will never use "gull" sounds ever again.

:gun: Ghost Troop apologises to anyone that has been stressed-out by this annoying, little problem. The new "Ghost Defiance Fix" was made especially for you. We hope it alleviates the pain.

:guns: Head Down: Eyes On: Finger On The Trigger !

:starwars: Ghost Troop, out.

:unsure:P.S. If you need more info (technical stuff), GiWeDa please send us an e-mail and we'll let you know what we found. Cheers. GT, out.

Edited by Ghost Troop

Thanks for the ongoing support of your mods GhostTroop.

We have been enjoying Allegiance online. We inserted a six man team and managed to get through about 6 missions one night. Well balanced enjoyable missions!