It's been a long time...

JayPee

To all tinkers, tailors, and soldiers..

Back in the days when I was still a kid I recall having huge amounts of fun playing GR. As with much like everything in life except bad habits, GR and gaming in general took a different path. However, after having read SimHQ's 10 motives to reinstall GR I thought: hells yeah! Why not?! I installed GR w/ DS and TI on a W7SP1 x64 notebook rig, works like charm. Trust me, I've seen otherwise.

10 Years later I am amazed by the activity of the GR niche market and all 3rd party content! However, things are getting quite confusing. Numerous expansion packs, total conversions (what's the difference?), mods, etc., I'm getting kinda lost!

I already found out that Heroes Unleashed is a must have so I installed that and put it on the highest priority over DS and TI, but what other additional software is a must have? Also, how and where can I take part in the multiplayer scene? Since I can imagine I can't knock on some clan's door with a few packs of Corona's, asking if I can come in after being away from GR for quite some years.

Would be great if you guys could give me some pointers..

Jp

PS: I just have this thing for desert warfare, so if there's a digital Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Israel, etc. that'd be awesome.

Edited by JayPee

Hi, welcome back! Always great to see some new or old faces around here. Let me answer some of your questions.

An expansion pack (usually or should) feature new maps, new skins, new weapons, new missions; pretty much a new game. Some of the expansion packs were filed incorrectly, such as World of Infamy and Claiming Liberty. Those are actually not expansion packs as they don't feature all of the right stuff. WOI and Claiming Liberty would probably fall in the Total Conversion section. I don't really see the need for two categories, but that's how it is. Total Conversions have less content, usually not any new maps.

You don't need any additional software to play Heroes Unleashed, just DS, IT, and itself.

The last active server I know of is this dedicated server located in Denmark.

To get on it, go in GR go to multiplayer, click ONLINE, and at the bottom left you'll see a place to put in the IP. There is no server browser in GR, so you have to input IPs manually.

Thanks for the reply so far! Yet, I think you kinda misunderstood my question.. By 'other must haves', I meant to ask: What other TCs/exp. packs/mods like HU are definitely worth looking into? Or: what other stuff is going around nowadays that extends the realism, immersion, and awesomeness of the vanilla GR?

Oh sorry, I was 'skim-reading'. Didn't catch your meaning, I thought you said 'what software must I have' not what is a must have. I would suggest some of the following:

Band of Brothers by Jack57, campaign

American Civil War by Mamon, campaign

Claiming Liberty by me smile.gif, unofficial expansion pack

Rockall by Tinker, unofficial expansion pack

Sniper Cannon 3 by Thales100, equipment mod

Spetsgruppa-Vympel Scar Pack by Earl, equipment mod - fantastic models, I am using them in my next mod

Delta Forces 1990 by eskwaad, skin pack

Realism Update by V2_Bloodline or GR Realism Enhancer by me, either one is great if you want more realism

I'm guessing you are patched to 1.4, because most mods require that. Have fun with those; you might even want to mix them up if you can, e.g. Claiming Liberty for some new missions, Sniper Cannon for new weapons, GR Realism Enhancer for more realistic settings, and Delta Forces 1990 for some new skins, if they don't conflict with each other.

Aight, cool! Yeah I'm running 1.4.

Also, is there anything Middle Eastern-style? Kinda in the setting of The Kingdom, Greenzone, etc.? I tried CENTCOM but it's buggy and the equip kits are really confusing, inconsistent and different names for the same items and so forth...

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. A tip to all of you: Download GamerRanger! It's a software created for (mostly) older games to play Multiplayer. GameRanger supports Ghost Recon (the original). Me and a friend played GR and it worked fine. So if you'd like, download it, create an account and host a server for GR! Also you can add me as a GameRanger friend if you want to. My username/nick: CrazyFrog

When you say CENTCOM is buggy please clarify because I have been playing it awhile and never had an issue that I would consider buggy that wasnt caused by something else? IMO CENTCOM is one of the best mods ever made. Then again that is just me.

The kits are insanely disorganized. You have one kit with the M21, next one has the SVD, another with the SR25, and all of a sudden more M21s. Ten or more vehicles crash missions, I know this because when trying to use the technical, CH47, and others it crashed the game. The missions had some bugs as well. But that doesn't mean anything, I thought it was fantastic.