Afghanistan

The foregrips yes...a lot of people put the non sensitive accessories on their weapons to keep from losing them...the foregrip was real popular because it made shooting from an upright or crouched position better..plus it helped a lot on keeping the barrel stready during reflexive fire...which is very important in an urban enviornment.....as for the para-rescue guys...they had the same desert cammies we did..most all of the branches had the same cammies......we used the newer desert print in ghanny...not the print used in desert storm......also I don't know if it helps...but we often wore our gator necks and baclavas under our K-POTS....I can only think of one picture I have seen on the net of what that looks like...and it's once of the title screens that the 101st Airborne mod has...I have some ppics over on the platoon forum in the general chat board.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

semi semi semi.....we train to shoot semi...because you save ammo and you have to aim....burst can get you into the habit of blind firing.......in ranger school we used burst or full auto (depending on what weapons we had and what models)...when we did what is called a "mad-minute"..which basically everyone in your squad\platoon whatever unloads like a madman in the general direction of the enemy to make us sound like we have a lot bigger force than we really do......in my unit with the 101st..we also have a different version of a mad-minute..still the same thing though....flip it to burst and have another mag ready to go in.......and no we didn't tape our mags together like they do in the movies...(some units do actually do it but not many)...the exposed top of the mag can get dirt in it and when you load it..you may have a jam or misfire from it.

.......and no we didn't tape our mags together like they do in the movies...(some units do actually do it but not many)...the exposed top of the mag can get dirt in it and when you load it..you may have a jam or misfire from it.

@ZRated, not putting you down or anything..I agree, the dirt can get inside an exposed top of the mag...if you tape the mags facing in oposite directions. There is, however, a rather neat trick to avoid that; you take a fired brass case, put it between the two mags, a bit closer to the uper part, and then tape them together. The brass case works as a stand-off device between mag's openings and taped mags looks like a "V". That way, both mags are faced upwards and the dirt has little chance of getting in. Also, when you're swiching mags, you don't have to flip them in your hand to load the full one, you just take the end of an empty one out and insert the full one in. It works fine with FN-FAL and AK-47/74 based weapons, I used it during the war over here...not sure if it would work with M-16/ M4...

It would probably work with just about any rifle....I have done it before at a different unit..basically it's SOP for your unit that determines if you can do that....my unit doesn't allow it.

As for silenced weapons,in my 6 years in I have only been able to play with two different ones,and that was at the small arms repair and maintainance school where they had an M40 with a huge suppressor on it.The other weapon was an M4 with a suppressor back when I went to test the OICW and a few other "possible" replacement weapons....other than that....I have never seen one anywhere used by the US

Made my first model last night, my m4 base, just have to finish texturing, so far only 744 poly's, but good ole Piccolo let me on to a secret, and i can lower that, and i still havent deleted faces. Just have to learn how to do characters :wacko:

Z, not to swamp you with questions - and this is off-topic - but you say to tested the OICW? what were your impressions with it? did you nitise any differance in accuracy or range compared to the M-4 or M-16?

CLARK

mmmm I saw very few marines,very few air force over there..our AO held our battalion and elements of other battalions and support on the Army side....

@Viper,There were 3 of us from my unit that got selevted to test the OICW..all 3 of us said the same thing..along with many other poeple there from other units.....the OICW stand alone was really nice...it took some getting used to..but it's accuracy was close to that of an M16\M4.The problems with the stand alone version that I saw...was that it was tough to get an older mag in (most of your units use mags older than them)...a new mag went in real nice...but the older ones you had nearly force it in or play around with it...the same thing getting it out....speed changing with an old mag sucks....the other problem I didn't like was after firing about 3 full mags at a rapid rate of fire...the whole thing got hot...not just the barrel...the heat distribution was pretty bad......I can fire off 8 full mags with an M4 and still be able to keep from getting burned......other than those 2 problems..the stand alone OICW was nice and light.......with the grenade launcher on it..it has some pros and cons....the grenade launcher holds 5 20mm rounds (we used airburst rounds)...the weight of the OICW with the GL attached was about 19lbs...for a grenadier in a line squad..that's a big weight increase over an M4\203 set up.....the GL weight did make it easier to keep the OICW steady during auto fire...(the OICW has a weird recoil on auto..it tends to kick up like a pistol more than it does back)...another BIG problem with the OICW\GL setup was that it was tall and skinny...very different from an M4...when we were doing urban testing with it..most of us weren't very impressed with it...you had to adjust the butt on your shoulder a lot..and it felt real akward..the OICW stand alone was awesome in urban..better than the M4 in my opinion.....the reliability of the OICW was awesome....those that were airborne qualified did a jump with the OICW from 2500 feet...(we did a static)...at about 500 feet we were supposed to drop the OICW...when we landed we went and picked them up....they were in perfect shape,and they even kept their zero to the T.....when I was there they said the OICW was supposed to go into service in 2004..but after another group of testers went and came back..they told them 2006 or maybe 2005...they are trying to get eh weight of the OICW\GL down to 11 pounds first..so who knows....my overall opinion of the whole OICW system is that I'm not a big fan of it at all...especially if it were to replace the M4\M16..which are just as reliable..and definately easier to clean and maintain.....I'll be out of the Army by the time the OICW comes out..so I doubt I will be toying with it anymore..(unless the reenlistment guys can give me what I want)

Well now that i have some what of a jist for max, i think i'll make this BIGGER, some maps, more skins, contemplating wether or not to leave regular chr's as berets or not, and a hanfull more of weps :D Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

A capture/kill mission would be an excellent idea, but it can't be too easy, maybe something along the lines of one of the stealth recon missions in terms of difficulty. Maybe even add this element, stealth approach as close as possible, if the team is spotted, Osama decides to become a martyr and blows up the entire cave or where ever he is, and if the team can get to him in time or take him down then the mission is a success. :D

Hows about, just a reccomendation to use only 3 men, dont think theres anyway of enforcing it, at least just a small team, and u'r objective is to go in with Northern Alliance, ur team go's in first, u have the choice to capture or kill, the NA backing u so if u kill him it wont look like it was the us, bad publicity sadly :angry: Let me know what ya think.

if the team is spotted, Osama decides to become a martyr and blows up the entire cave or where ever he is, and if the team can get to him in time or take him down then the mission is a success. :D

He'd be a martyr if you kill him or he kills himself.

I say you *have* to capture him.

Hey, Z. All the pics I see of the stand-alone OICW, I can't find the sights, what to you use to aim, is thier a RIS bar on top, does something fold out of the top, or can you attach the big OICW scope to the AR part?

He'd be a martyr if you kill him or he kills himself.

Yes he would be, perhaps you can add a second specalist objective were you can capture or kill one of his high ranking aids or something, or maby you only get the specalist if you capture him and killing him is a mission objective.

We need a good cave map

CLARK

Edited by Viper