New Tool/Mod for Ghost Recon

DonMiguel

Over my time of modding GR, I've spent the bulk of it outside of MAX or Photoshop or IGOR. Most of it was spent learning how the GR engine worked. Because of that time spent, I've gained a unique perspective on how to mod for GR and how to expand it beyond its abilities. Because of this, I've been able to stretch GR a little. Holomen, pre-IT helis, smoke nades, flamethrowers, AT rifles and getting tanks to target people without script were some of the fun stretches which hopefully helped other modders push themselves a little more. However, none of those things came as close to dramatically changing how GR played as this tool. And since I'm wrapping up my GR modding career I felt I couldn't keep this one to myself any longer. That said..........

How does this tool drastically change the GR experience?

By changing your platoon in Single Player. This tool will allow you the player to configure your platoon to have up to 3 squads (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie). And will allow each of these 3 squads to have up to 6 men each. In the end, you can have up to 18 playable platoon members for your missions instead of Ghost Recon's default of 6.

How do you use it?

Its simple. You'll tell how many max members are allowed per squad (up to 6). You then tell the app how many of each class you want (remember you can only have up to 6 total for that squad, I like 2 rifleman, 2 demo, 2 support). Then, if you have DS and/or IT the app wil autosense it and allow you to use them. If you select one or both of them then your available missions will be updated to include that expansion. Pick a mission and then push the RUN button. You'll get a popup explaining some restrictions doing this will have. Click OK to continue and you will load the mission directly. You will NOT see the normal GR menus and team selection screens. This is normal.

Weapons

Depending on if you are using GR, DS, or IT, you will have a squad created for you that will randomly pick the available weapons to you. If you have all activated, your squad will have access to all weapons in GR/DS/IT.

Remember to follow the prelaunch popup with the warnings on the restrictions. However, I think you'll find these are minimal and quite worth it.

Please note: This tool will NOT change your Ghost Recon files themselves.

I hope you all enjoy this tool as much as I have.

Enjoy!

DonMiguel

GR SP Platoon Extender

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have DS and/or IT the app wil autosense it and allow you to use them. If you select one or both of them then your available missions will be updated to include that expansion. Pick a mission and then push the RUN button.

Well, I've tried it out and it isn't autosensing DS or IT and pressing OK on the warnings screen takes you back to the team selector -- I take it it's looking for GR in the default install location, rather than where it actually is for those of us who have installed it elsewhere. Any simple solution?

Even if it won't run for a non-default install it's a neat trick. Are you willing to give some details of how it functions and what changes are required to the mission files?

Edited by DWG

if you have DS and/or IT the app wil autosense it and allow you to use them. If you select one or both of them then your available missions will be updated to include that expansion. Pick a mission and then push the RUN button.

Well, I've tried it out and it isn't autosensing DS or IT and pressing OK on the warnings screen takes you back to the team selector -- I take it it's looking for GR in the default install location, rather than where it actually is for those of us who have installed it elsewhere. Any simple solution?

Even if it won't run for a non-default install it's a neat trick. Are you willing to give some details of how it functions and what changes are required to the mission files?

I have GR installed elsewhere. You have to select whether or not you want to use DS and/or IT.

This is a great Idea. I'm releasing a 5 mission version of Long Haul soon. To make use of this feature I'll package an additional version of each mission that leaves out many of the friendly AI, so that players can use Don's larger suqads.

This tool (like the non-linear Dynacomp campaign) exemplifies the kind of potential that the GR mod community has. Way to go Don!

Is there anyway to change the graphics settings when you use this mod?

When I use this modification it sets the texture settings at a very low level which is annoying. :wall:

It also automatically shuts off my weapon modifications. Are there anyway to fix these problems?

if you read the prelaunch popup you'll see that it says that you'll need to open options and click accept to load up the settings.

The app overwrites the activation listing for GR as the app only supports GR, DS and IT. It currently is hardcoded and won't use other mods. I have yet to determine if i will update to change this.

The app doesn't use any default installation for its path, it uses the ghostrecon path found in that computers registry which is created when Ghost Recon is installed. If you have warez, or have installed and then moved the path without reinstalling to that new path, then you're path in the registry could be missing or faulty. You need to either reinstall GR or you can browse your registry and update this path yourself.

Hope that answers any questions

I was thinking about this on the bus home. This is gonna be like full-spectrum warrior. You get to be an Lt. and direct troops rather than do all the fighting like the original GR. Except in FSW you can't join the fight even when you want to. This is gonna be great for us armchair squad tacticians. I'm downloading now.

GJ Don Miguel, I really love this! I rather watch others fight and support them.

One question. Isnt it possible to give all the back up guys default weapons? Its kinda stupid when ur mates have AN-94's, Groza's and other "foreign" weapons. Maybe if its possible u could add so they have UK weapons, Russian weapons or American weapons. Maybe add a few weapons if needed.

Anyway excellent mod, Thanks for it.