White Death's Journal - Development Thread

Inspired by the true story of Simo Hayha, a Finnish sniper who racked up an astonishing 542 confirmed kills during the Winter War in only 100 days, I have begun work on "White Death's ('White Death' was the nickname given to Hayha by Soviet victims) Journal", a twist on Hayha's story.

In this singleplayer-exclusive addon for Frostbite, you will fight as a civilian living in Norway in 2019 who is taken by surprise when the Russians invade the country while he is ice fishing near his office. In a desperate struggle to survive, you will make a daring escape from the Russian patrols and tanks using nothing but your bolt-action hunting rifle, risk your life to steal food and supplies from a Russian ship frozen in the ice, and help your country by assassinating important targets and causing overall mayhem behind enemy lines.

Since you are a civilian, the briefings are written as if they were the character's journal, giving you enough information on the mission to get by but letting you decide which option is best -- there will usually be just one right choice.

To sum things up, you get to play as a bearded Norwegian dude in a snowsuit who gets ###### off when a bunch of Ruskies screw up his ice fishing trip. Picture Jason Bourne in a Red Dawn scenario with a serious anger issue against Russians and you are picturing 'White Death's Journal'.

Could be worse - could be 40, 000 kw 2 million rounds per minute recoilless plasma snipershot riflegun, with motion activated auto ammo replenisher and fully integrated computerised built in aimbot, aka the NoobQannon. We are all for developing tech that makes stuff easier for us (to the point of us becoming lazy,) so you never know, the guns of the future might aim themselves - all we gotta do is stand there and look pretty.

Edited by WytchDokta

but i thinked on making it in the 40s.

Then I'd have to either use WOI (which I really don't like, too buggy) or combine assets from it and use another mod for the maps. With Frostbite I got the cool maps and weapons. Also if I did it in the past I would have to use a real war; with a future setting I can do whatever I want.

Onest thing i don't like is that the year is 2019. Bolt action sniper in 2019 lol

Don't feel like I'm being a smart*ss, but.....

1. That's only seven years away. Technology isn't going to advance that fast, in my opinion.

2. Even if we do invent some super-plasma ultra......hang on, WD put it better:

40, 000 kw 2 million rounds per minute recoilless plasma snipershot riflegun, with motion activated auto ammo replenisher and fully integrated computerised built in aimbot, aka the NoobQannon

even if we have one of those, some Norwegian dude who is out ice-fishing isn't going to have one in his pocket. Gun laws are probably going to be stricter in the future (unfortunately) and they may not even be able to have semi-automatic weapons in that year, so a bolt-action rifle is most realistic.

3. A bolt-action rifle is more bad-a**. Nobody is going to be impressed if you have the whole Norwegian Army with you, all armed to the teeth with machine guns and tanks. A bolt-action rifle fits the mood and makes you seem more like a civilian.

:)

Off-topic here, but:

We are all for developing tech that makes stuff easier for us (to the point of us becoming lazy,) so you never know, the guns of the future might aim themselves - all we gotta do is stand there and look pretty.

Yeah, I know it sounds really a bit strange, but I am slightly disappointed when I watch shows on TV talking about how someday weapons might be able to track targets and uniforms can blend with environments and all that crap. I don't see it happening any time soon, but if it does, the skill factor suddenly disappears from the battlefield and it just turns into a battle of who has the best technology, sort of like we're doing nowadays.

I don't see it happening any time soon, but if it does, the skill factor suddenly disappears from the battlefield and it just turns into a battle of who has the best technology, sort of like we're doing nowadays.

Or a battle of EMP'ing the ###### out of each other in the field so they can't use such tech in the first place.

Back on topic..... :P

Excerpt from the 'journal' briefing of the first mission:

It's funny how clearly you remember some things. After I finished some work at my office I had walked into the garage and strapped my bolt-action rifle into the gun rack in my truck. I got in and drove down to the lake to do some ice fishing before I went home. Reaching into the glovebox, I pulled out my Beretta 9mm pistol and slid it into my pocket. After I slung the rifle over my shoulder I stepped out of the truck and walked over to my little camp on the ice where I had some supplies stowed for my fishing ventures. I wiped the frost off a box and slid it to the drilled hole in the ice. I took a seat on the cold wood and picked up the fishing rod.{p}For awhile, I thought about the imminent invasion of Norway, spearheaded by the Russian Army. I had no contact with civilization out here in the wilderness, and this thought worried me. Of course, I could communicate from my office or the nearby airfield if I needed to, but the sudden changes in weather could disrupt all communication at any time, leaving me totally vulnerable in the harsh outdoors.{p}I had pondered these things for at least a half hour when I heard gunshots somewhere to the east. In open country like this, it wasn't surprising to hear the shot of a hunting rifle now and then, but the muffled bursts were too frequent to be anything but a fully-automatic weapon. After moments of waiting, the silence began to overwhelm me and I sprang from my seat, nearly falling to the frozen surface when my foot slid on the ice. I listened keenly for any signs of life, turning in circles as I searched the nearby hills. A low and ominous rumbling caught my attention, and I turned to face the road as ithe noise grew into a roar. The snow fell heavier and the sky darkened as one thought went through my mind: tanks.

Well, I can only let it be 'open' to a certain point, but I'll try my best. I mean, I'd like to let you pick up weapons or escape different ways, but it is hard to continue in the next mission. For example, there's no way to know if the player kept his bolt-action rifle or if he picked up a machine gun, so I don't know what kit to give him in the next mission. Plus, there can really only be one way to escape because if you take the truck away you would end up somewhere totally different than if you took the plane -- once again, I can't determine which option you chose through scripting. I'll let you try different tactics for sure though.

The concept sounds awesome can't wait to see this come to life :)

I was thinking mostly about your civy partisan character but just remembered there are a ton of good suitable character files in frostbite already ;)

It's always the Russians that are invading the world :/ Why not Chinese or Americans?

Mainly because frostbite's main opfor are Russians.

In the near future there will be something with Chinese in it though ;)

Edited by MrMoon

It's always the Russians that are invading the world :/ Why not Chinese or Americans?

Because nobody is creative. I would use something more interesting but this is based on a historical event.

I was thinking mostly about your civy partisan character but just remembered there are a ton of good suitable character files in frostbite already

Well, you're never going to see your own character (except in the soldier selection screen) so I am just going to leave things as they are. It will be a bit weird because even if you choose different weapons/multiple soldiers you end up with the one guy and a different weapon.

Ah yes that's a good point lol.

The good thing about this mod is it will force players to really plan out all of their actions thoroughly and carefully.

With only a bolt action rifle and a pistol against multiple men and tanks you will really have to take the whole hit and run guerrilla deal seriously.

• 10 months later...