Russian Player: Expanded Edition - general topic

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to add that I run 3dsm 5.1 and Photoshop CS2 (plus a whole lot of other GR modding tools) inside a Virtualbox Windows XP SP3 x86 (gasp!) virtual machine without any issues whatsoever. In case anything does go wrong (usually my own fault), the entire VM can easily be restored from backup in mere seconds (I keep a 7z archive of the freshly installed VM disk image). Another advantage of the restore is that you can basically run time-limited trial software (e.g. 3dsm) forever.

Very much looking forward to your update. I love playing the Russians! 🙂

• Like 1

I have used CS2 in Windows 10 until recently. It worked fine in Win XP but starting with Win 7 it got glitchie. Files would disappear momentarily when adding effects or trying to save them.
If a person wanted to switch between CS2 and another program you had to first use the CS2 minimize button in the upper RH corner. You could not simply press the other programs icon in the task bar and go to it directly. It rarely crashed but it was very annoying. It being an older program Windows 10 just did not jive with it entirely.

Someone else told me about CS6 portable(2012) which I was able to cabbage on to and I don't have any of those annoyances now. It looks somewhat different from CS2 but it is still very familiar and so far I have had no issues using the RSB plug-in.

Edited by wombat50
  • Like 1

On 10/07/2020 at 09:35, ApexMods said:

Wanted to add that I run 3dsm 5.1 and Photoshop CS2 (plus a whole lot of other GR modding tools) inside a Virtualbox Windows XP SP3 x86 (gasp!) virtual machine without any issues whatsoever. In case anything does go wrong (usually my own fault), the entire VM can easily be restored from backup in mere seconds (I keep a 7z archive of the freshly installed VM disk image). Another advantage of the restore is that you can basically run time-limited trial software (e.g. 3dsm) forever.

Very much looking forward to your update. I love playing the Russians! 🙂

Thank you for the info, I'll try doing that (using 3ds Max in VirtualBox I mean - I think I have an original CD with it somewhere). I'm really glad ghostrecon.net is still very much alive, as someone who has no real IT experience whatsoever (I only did some amateur modding) I'm glad that I can ask people here for help.

On 11/07/2020 at 22:11, wombat50 said:

I have used CS2 in Windows 10 until recently. It worked fine in Win XP but starting with Win 7 it got glitchie. Files would disappear momentarily when adding effects or trying to save them.
If a person wanted to switch between CS2 and another program you had to first use the CS2 minimize button in the upper RH corner. You could not simply press the other programs icon in the task bar and go to it directly. It rarely crashed but it was very annoying. It being an older program Windows 10 just did not jive with it entirely.

Someone else told me about CS6 portable(2012) which I was able to cabbage on to and I don't have any of those annoyances now. It looks somewhat different from CS2 but it is still very familiar and so far I have had no issues using the RSB plug-in.

I had an idea - I could change the format of .rsb files to, say, .png, edit them in a newer version of Photoshop (or in some other program) and then change them back to .rsb, maybe that would work? What do you think?

By the way, here's something I've been working on, a small project of sorts - I think I've managed to decipher all Russian patches in Ghost Recon and here they are. Some of them were really hard to find - I wonder how the devs did that in the year 2000 when I had problems in 2020. The first folder contains screenshots with the patches from the game, the second one has a readme in which I explain what textures use what patches and the third folder is sort of a suggestion from me (some patches could be changed to more realistic ones in my opinion, there is a readme as well). Here are the links:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t1r04bnypubst4u/1._Russian_patches.7z/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1svwptcriqv87qp/2._Original_Russian_and_Belarusian_insignia.7z/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8jzl63f3b02n9uu/3._Realistic_South_Ossetian%2C_Russian_and_Belarusian_insignia.7z/file

• Tier 1 Post 1

13 minutes ago, Chudy Picio said:

"I had an idea - I could change the format of .rsb files to, say, .png..."

I don't see why that would not work.
If you had allot of textures to do you could record a couple of "actions" in PS to convert them to .png and another action to convert them back to .rsb.
all with a click of a button.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that you will loose all RSB properties (blending, sampling, animation, scrolling, AI transparency and surface tagging etc.) in the process, which you would have to add manually.

• Like 1

Dude, I just checked your collection of Russian insignia. Marvelous! When I see how much work you put into this detail alone, I know we can expect amazing things from your next mod! Respect!

:notworthy:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wombat50 said:

I don't see why that would not work.
If you had allot of textures to do you could record a couple of "actions" in PS to convert them to .png and another action to convert them back to .rsb.
all with a click of a button.

That sounds convenient! 😀

21 hours ago, ApexMods said:

Keep in mind that you will loose all RSB properties (blending, sampling, animation, scrolling, AI transparency and surface tagging etc.) in the process, which you would have to add manually.

Huh, yeah, I was afraid something like that might happen, but if it's possible to add it manually it's not that bad I suppose.

21 hours ago, ApexMods said:

Dude, I just checked your collection of Russian insignia. Marvelous! When I see how much work you put into this detail alone, I know we can expect amazing things from your next mod! Respect!

:notworthy:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that! Russian patches are my thing, I think that's because of Ghost Recon to be honest (first game I've ever played). 😀 I also have the American ones (US insignia used in GR are much easier to find, obviously).

I have some plans for this mod, but my main idea is the same - to change the original campaigns (but this time it will be more sophisticated 😀). I'm glad that people on this forum can still offer help even in 2020, that's an awesome thing. The only problem I have is the lack of time, but I'll be slowly working on that mod.

• Like 2

• Chudy Picio changed the title to Russian Player: Expanded Edition - general topic
47 minutes ago, Chudy Picio said:

Huh, yeah, I was afraid something like that might happen, but if it's possible to add it manually it's not that bad I suppose.

You can set some of the RSB properties when you save a RSB in PS. Some like surface tagging, animation and scrolling are done with the RSB Editor a small utility.
If you are doing character reskins I don't think the RSB Editor is needed.
I have it if you ever need it.

• Like 2

On 16/07/2020 at 15:06, Chudy Picio said:

I have some plans for this mod, but my main idea is the same - to change the original campaigns (but this time it will be more sophisticated 😀

Chudy, I have to tell you that I cannot wait to see this mod! Please give us some teasers on the way, something to make the mouths water even more while we wait. I have a hunch that this thing is going to be absolutely awesome! I’m excited like a kid before Christmas! 😊

• Like 1

On 16/07/2020 at 16:01, wombat50 said:

You can set some of the RSB properties when you save a RSB in PS. Some like surface tagging, animation and scrolling are done with the RSB Editor a small utility.
If you are doing character reskins I don't think the RSB Editor is needed.
I have it if you ever need it.

Okay, thank you. My PC had some problems with RSB Editor recently, I don't know if that's because of Win 10 updates or something else.

2 hours ago, ApexMods said:

Chudy, I have to tell you that I cannot wait to see this mod! Please give us some teasers on the way, something to make the mouths water even more while we wait. I have a hunch that this thing is going to be absolutely awesome! I’m excited like a kid before Christmas! 😊

Thank you - I'll post some teasers after actually creating something new; I think I'll have to make this mod from scratch, this old "Russian Player Mod" is not suitable for patching in my opinion.

I've been recently thinking about a possible option of having new voice acting in the mod (Russian for friendly forces and American English for enemies) - either made by me or some people who would volunteer. I'd have to borrow a better microphone from someone in order to record anything, though. 😀

• Like 1

There’s a sizable scene of Russian Ghost Recon players. Sadly they tend to mainly stick to their own sites and forums and rarely come to visit us here at GhostRecon.net. Maybe you can get them involved? Used to have a number of bookmarks but can’t find them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chudy Picio said:

My PC had some problems with RSB Editor recently, I don't know if that's because of Win 10 updates or something else.

Sometimes when I first open the RSB Editor it won't list the files I point to in the navigation sidebar.
Usually restarting the RSB Editor will make it behave like it should.

• Like 2

On 20/07/2020 at 19:17, ApexMods said:

There’s a sizable scene of Russian Ghost Recon players. Sadly they tend to mainly stick to their own sites and forums and rarely come to visit us here at GhostRecon.net. Maybe you can get them involved? Used to have a number of bookmarks but can’t find them.

Yeah, I've heard that GR is popular there. The problem is, like you said, they are rarely here. But maybe I'll find someone, I don't know. My daring plan involved using a good quality microphone and a two-way radio in order to record my own dialogues for the friendly Russian soldiers. 😀 I know the radio effect can be added in post-production, but I wanted to try. American dialogues would be normal. I have to ask some friends if anyone would have a better microphone than my own (mine is not great in terms of sound quality).

On 20/07/2020 at 19:22, wombat50 said:

Sometimes when I first open the RSB Editor it won't list the files I point to in the navigation sidebar.
Usually restarting the RSB Editor will make it behave like it should.

I think there was a problem with my Windows Registry - TexView 2 for Arma had similar problems with launching recently. My PC is not exactly new, sadly.

On 20/07/2020 at 21:37, ApexMods said:

RSB Editor also requires some .Net framework and a VB runtime, IIRC.

Do you have any links for that? I might need to reinstall these to make it work.

• Like 1

never heard about this :), spend some months back then in 2016 and found nothing. So, russian scene (OGR one) is dead for many years.

Edited by AlexKimov