Operation Arrowhead, ready for beta testing

Ok, I have found out why these markers are not being removed from the game.

I think some of you are using the God mode mod made by Rahn, using this is all well and good but if you rush through the mission then the script won't work as it should causing you to hit the triggers that remove the markers before they are displayed on screen.

To make things worse there is a "speed mode" option available in the god mode mod, using this will make things ten times worse, it's even possible to completely miss the triggers altogether.

My missions are designed so the triggers will be active by the time you get to them when playing normally, if you run through the mission then I can't guarantee the mission will play correctly.

IMO the only reliable way to test these missions is playing without any speed or god mode hack.

I cannot and will not make my missions to allow for the use of this hack, doing so would mean having the markers on screen instantly when the previous objective is complete, in some cases this will make the mission very confusing.

I was asked a while back how to activate the speed mode for testing missions but I refused to give it out for the reasons above.

I ask you please to play the missions as they are meant to be played, if you must use the god mod (which IMO is cheating) then please take your time when testing my beta versions.

I will say this once more, the speed hack is meant as a debug tool for modders it's not for playing missions, if you are using it then any feedback you give me will not be reliable.

However, I will release another beta version with the triggers re-timed so you can test again if you wish. If you use the speed hack when testing and find any problems then please do not report them here as I will not take note of them.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

v1.4 is ready.

Some of the triggers in the bunker have been re-timed so the onscreen markers will appear sooner.

If you are testing using the god mode then please do not rush around like a headless chicken, test the mission at the same speed you would normally move, if you are using the speed hack then I'm not interested.

The only way I could replicate the issues with the markers was by running through the bunker using god mode or the speed hack, when testing my beta's I always play with no hacks or god mode.

I only use these hacks when testing the alpha versions and they are programmed into the mission script, I know when to move slowly and when I can move fast as I know where all the triggers are and how the mission will run.

Download:

Operation Arrowhead v1.4

Hi John,

I played v1.3 with the TAW boys last night. We were not using the God Mode to do this and still saw that the markers did not disappear. It was weird though because we were able to complete the mission. The markers that remained lit were the ones for the underground bunker. I know that all three levels were cleared and saw the onscreen messages which said so.

Don't know what to say about the God Mode. I DO NOT have speed mode enabled for the God Mode Mod. I tell players how they can activate it in the Read Me file. I only use God Mode to test your missions because not dying all the time allows me to complete the mission more quickly and gives me the freedom to focus on all aspects of the mission, not just staying alive. I do not feel that it is cheating in any way. For newer players it is a good learning tool that limits the amount of initial frustration. For players like me it allows me to test missions in a reasonable amount of time. I have not encountered this waypoint marker problem whenever I run the game in God Mode so I really don't see how it could be related to this problem. In fact, I have tested almost all of your missions with the God Mode Mod (in some form or another) and have never had this problem.

If you think that the speed with which the objective is completed could have an effect then you may be right. When I played with the TAW players last night we had about 12 players who were all down in the basement. All three levels were completed very quickly.

I will try running v1.4 with God Mode and see if I get the waypoint glitch or not.

Thanks John!

Rahn

Hi John,

Just ran through v1.4. I ran through all of the triggers (on the way to the bunker) in God Mode w/o killing any AI and cleared out the underground bunker as fast as I could. The waypoint markers disappeared as they normally do. Don't know what to say. Maybe it has something to do with the dedicated server?

Cheers,

Rahn

Hi Rahn,

The reason that you were able to run through the bunker without any problems is for v1.4 I have re-timed the triggers so they will activate sooner.

V1.3 would cause problems as the triggers were setup for normal play (not running around as if your ###### is on fire) so running would activate the trigger that removed the markers before they were displayed on screen, if that happens then they wouldn't be removed.

Thanks for testing again Blame, seems like all is ok now.

John

Hi John,

today we had a chance to complete your best map ever with version 1.4 - hard mode on dedi LAN server!

We had no problems at all. I have read this thread before and could not see any of the issues from prev. version. At least I hope I don't missed anything. The Bunker with 3 levels at v1.4 was absolutely great to play and a fantastic idea. There are so many things which we have never seen before. We was often very surprised. The control center looks amazing and the gates/doors are damn good work. The new sound bring some good atmosphere as well so we don't think there is a way to make it better :thumbsup:

What is may be interesting as well is the huge amount of code lines you had to use and that it run without any problems on my very small dedicated server! See our specs:

Dedicated LAN-only server: 1.6Ghz Centrino M laptop /1GB mem on WinXP/ 40GB HDD

Client 1: E6750@2920+HD4870/512 - 4GB on WinXP - 22" 1440x900

Client 2: E8400@3600+HD3780/512 - 4GB on WinXP - 20" 1280x800

Of course all three PCs are connected to local LAN without Web access and without AntiVirus or Firewall software because it's not needed.

Just Erikas (Client1) crashed one time with the hold weapon in type message. There was nothing special at this moment and the crash is a normal freq. Graw2 crash. Our frame rates was very good (always >35 fps). This means a old 1.6Ghz computer is still good to use as dedi server :yes:

Finally I remember one thing we both did nt like. The car bombs! &"$&"$/" Beside of that the we hate them, do you think it is realistic to have car bombs on military vehicles?

Ohhh, and all of your new buildings are so great but I had to laugh when I saw your house with your fantastic wall paper at the way to the extracting point. I almost forgot them :rofl:

With greetings from Erika and Klaus, we love you great work :flowers:

Erika1.jpg

Edited by kaapo

Well John, almost there. Ran it tonight with over a dozen of us on the TAW server and no problems in the bunker. The ONLY issue we had was the Gate objective indicator on screen did not clear when we were at the extract. Otherwise, it ran smoothly.

Thanks for testing Erika, Klaus and Jack.

Finally the bunker is working as it should, I'll look at the marker at the extraction gate, it's probably another timing issue.

Just a note on the markers, if you see them after you have completed an objective (but not before) then it's probably due to a timing issue, as I mentioned before using the god mode will allow you to complete the mission faster than you normally would which leads to you beating the triggers (breaking the mission).

If this happens then the mission should still complete ok but the markers will still be there, if you know a marker should be there for a certain objective but you don't see it then you have got to that point quicker than I expected. This can happen if you are using god mode and I can't allow for this, if you are playing normally and it happens then I need to fix it.

What happens is the trigger that removes the marker is being activated before that marker is on screen so it will still appear but won't be removed, if you do use the god mode and don't see a marker then please wait a few seconds for it to appear before completing that objective.

Realize John that god mode isn't supposed to work on the servers (according to the documentation, but haven't actually tried that). So whenever we're pointing out problems playing on the TAW server, it's never in god mode. But maybe timing is an issue. Not sure if we had players at the gate ready to blow it when we finished the bunker (saved bunker for last). Just curious, can you trigger the marker to display before allowing one to blow the objective? (earlier in the code) In that way, the marker would always clear, wouldn't it?

Yeah, I have updated the code so the marker will be there 1 second after the mission is complete.

I don't think it's worth uploading a new version just for that issue as the mission will still complete, if there are anymore problems it will be fixed in the next beta or when it's released.

This one has given me a few more grey hairs!! I don't think we have had so many problems in one mission for a very long time, must be getting old and senile, LOL!!

Cheers,

John

Hi John, could you please explain another old senile Ghost what the problem was with the extraction? We did not realized a problem. After the last main objective we had to go to the GATE (green marker) and this worked as well. Did I missed the green marker for the extraction point? If I try to remember I can see only the blue smoke and no green marker but I'm not sure anymore. If so, did we missed some more AIs as well? Then we need to jump in again and get them :pirate:

Hmmmm, asking Erika again she said she has seen the green extract marker and red smoke!?

Edited by kaapo

Hi Klaus,

With your style of play you would not have seen some of the problems reported here, you are a bit like me you take it steady and don't move to fast while others do move quicker playing at a faster rate, we all have our own ways of playing the missions but there is no right or wrong way.

Using the god mode allows players to move even faster which causes them to reach a trigger or objective sooner that I expect them to, this can lead to all sorts of problems like triggers not firing and waypoint markers not appearing in time.

What has been happening with this mission is that some players are reaching a trigger (or completing an objective/task) that removes a marker before it's displayed on screen, these markers are timed to appear at a certain point in the mission, so if you hit those triggers to soon the markers will appear on screen to late and as the trigger to remove them has already been activated they are never removed.

Hope that helps,

John

John, it is very possible and more than likely probable that with 16 or so players, some have hit the objective before the start trigger. I know for a fact that some of us went to the gate before the waypoint even displayed. We were just waiting there for it to trigger.

Just passing by,

I really enjoyed 1.4, so far only 1 Obj. done...and 3 triggers activated... :ph34r:

Clearing the barracks and all the snipers was thrilling and satisfying, great fun...

Same for the Tanks..Cool action.

Takin a break now, just wanna know-I noticed new custom sounds and i didnt read about it-

but is there new sounds for OPFOR? new voices? I think I hear new sounds when they got shots?

Anyway, thanks for all the work-The world.xml has 30,331 lines of code.-thats insane!

Just one little point...

Whats with all that activity in the sky? :blink:

The sounds from fighters jets passing by...They blew my ears up!

Can you call them back? :devil:

Thanks again for your work.

Bob, you are probably right about the marker problem at the extraction gate, some players could be waiting there for the rest of the team to complete the last objective, this will activate the gate trigger before the marker appears, this will be fixed for the next beta or release version.

Pagey & Blame, pleased you liked the sounds, as for them coming from GR I couldn't possibly comment!! :whistle:

So far Everything went good, enjoying the mission a lot.

The buldings and textures; neat work.

I noticed that in some new building, we're able to peek out almost completly, wich is very cool!

I never been able before.

graw22013-01-2212-53-49-48_zps7b92b8da.png

graw22013-01-2212-58-07-62_zpsc667a23a.png

Im very nervous moving on map, very exciting. :)

The MG behind the door

(gee that guy was babblin on and on until I Frag him)

and the Jeep comin' rite after, hahaha, was cool action..

Ill try finish the mission later on soon.

Cheers.

Edited by pagey

Tango poppedout in fron of me on Trigger09, no big deal.

And 2 stuckedin the walls Ts so far.

Finished the map, 2nd try.

No crash, all good.

Sorry for people who joined , i was on and off..

Edited by pagey

Hi John,

We ran the map several times now and we didn't find any problems anymore.

We didn't have any problems in the bunker either; everything went smooth.

Can't say that we were too slow or too fast, but none of us came up with anything that should be reported.

The only thing I can come up with is some of the ambient sounds; I like the sounds though, but sometimes they can get on your nerves, especially when you're trying to find the sniper (or snipers) that already killed you a couple of times :snipe:

Other than that good job again :thumbsup:

I can understand that every new map you're building now takes more and more time because of all the new features and buildings you put into them, but I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we all appreciate alot what you're doing.

You're one hell of a map builder John!!! :notworthy:

I forgot to mention one more thing.

Some people might want to run the map in "God Mode" for testing and Jimmy and I tried to do that in the previous version.

I think that running/testing the map in God Mode can give you a glimpse of how the map looks like and how many AI there are, but personally I don't think that all the triggers will be activated correctly.

In that mode it didn't show any issues, well at least not to us.

So, personally I think that testing a map correctly can only be done in a normal way and by taking your time for each and every mission.

In God Mode all seems to run a bit too smooth, but that's my opinion :hmm:

Rico, Jimmy, Derat, Nighthawk and Boebes

Edited by Rico686