Give Me Back My Old Ghost Recon, Rejuvenated! That's All!

Sorry, I just had to start a new topic, because I feel very strongly about this, and I think some of you may feel the same way! It is all well and good to talk about every single feature that may or may not make it into the latest family member, but my main concern is this: Will the bloodline of the King be revived? Will there be a direct descendant?

Will he, who was once great and started all of this - this web site, this community - be the biological father of the child, or will we see just another adopted son? I do not know the details of what has been announced by the obstetricians Red Storm and Ubisoft, I only heard the rumors of the EndWar family line being involved, of a potential mixup regarding the parenthood. But maybe all of these are just tell-tales, and once the truth is revealed the land can finally reunite under one common rule.

I, for one, am desperate for a new ruler truly deserving to bear the name of our King. I will swear my allegiance in an instant, I will bend my knee to the new Lord - but only if I will be able to see the unmistakably bright eyes of the father in the son's face, only if there can be no doubt about the child's ancestry!

And now, to be clear:

Give me Ghost Recon or give me nothing! Give me all that it was, nothing more, nothing less - just pull it out of the past and push it into the present! Give me up-to-date 3D models and graphics, a new physics engine, modern sound, the latest AI routines, cutting-edge scripting capabilities - and use it all to simulate reality to the highest degree possible on contemporary hardware! And don't forget the most important thing: Give me all the tools necessary to mod the game in any way I see fit!

but only if I will be able to see the unmistakably bright eyes of the father in the son's face, only if there can be no doubt about the child's ancestry!

Well said. With RSE in the driving seat, there can be no reason why Ubisoft cannot deliver a successor true to its roots; squad based, tactical, and moddable. There has never been a time for Ghost Recon fans to be more excited. :D

Was all that wordage necessary?

YES IT WAS!

And another thing. If this one will be Ghost Recon's successor, drop that whole GR4 / GR4.5 / GR5 / GR3.141592653589793 thing and call it what it is:

Ghost Recon Mk II Mod 1

.... :rant:

:notworthy:

Amazing post that expresses the desires of millions worldwide...

One phrase for RSE to convey to Ubisoft... Just say NO!

Dare to resist stupid frenchmen. (Not that all french are stupid, I'm just talking about the folks at Ubi)

Let developers develop games. If you feel the need to develop a game, Ubi, then learn how yourselves and make up your own IP! Don't take the best tactical shooter's franchise past the point of no return.

From the cradle to the grave. From beginning till the end.

We're all in this together, until GR4 descends.

Our dream is to know, if our GRAWmares never cease.

Will GR4 make us fly with the angels, or burn with the beast?

From the moment GR was born, till the day that it dies.

The Ghost Recon Liberation Front shall continue to defy.

Something like that. :P

Edited by WytchDokta

It remains to be seen if any company can afford to release a game like GR. There are practically no such games in development, and I will believe it can be done when the first one is actually released.

I am hopeful about GR4 and [OFP: DR], even if they can take the gameplay a few steps beyond GRAW , that will be a major accomplishment.

Well, Davros, thanks for your efforts, but what do we need a petition on another web site for? Pretty much everyone concerned can be found right here at GR.net, and if the responsible parties are interested in our opinion, this is probably the first place they would look for it.

This thread's purpose should not be to put blame on someone, neither to only look grudgingly in to the past just to summon enough anger to openly revolt. This should be a place to voice your passion! Sure, I am disappointed about many things that happened - or better - never happened. There is a plethora of reasons to be sad or even furious about. But above all - there is one reason to be happy: Ghost Recon exists!

Somewhere in the fogs of history there was a game developer that said "You know what? I bet there's people out there willing to think while playing an ego-shooter! Let's come up with a game that they'll like!" - and being a brave young developer, he threw caution to the winds, laughed wholeheartedly at all the nay-saying "marketing experts" and began to make plans for a completely new genre of games - the realistic squad-based military tactical shooter.

Just as the developer had predicted, the game was a tremendous success with the exact group of people it was targeted for, and soon reviewers from far and wide started to give the game a nickname that honored its entire concept in three simple words: "Thinking Man's Shooter"

Not only did the game go on to collect Game-of-the-Year awards like there was no tomorrow, it also put the young independent developer into a shining spotlight within the gaming industry, which in turn lead to the usual consequence - he was offered a lot of money in exchange for giving up his independence. Nobody should blame him for accepting, as this deal probably settled him for life.

But let's get back to our game. Although it may be far from obvious in today's society, but apparently there are still people keen on using this unique human ability - thinking. Strange to many, there even seems to be the possibility of thinking being fun - why else would there be a demand for it in such a leisure activity as computer gaming.

Alas, the times they are a changing, and thinking tends to be less and less "en vogue" with the young folks in gaming. At least - this is what everyone and their uncle keep telling us. I am definitely not willing to accept this future, and if you are willing to give me even more time to explain myself, I shall, in exchange, provide you with my reasoning.

game 1 |gām|

noun

1 a form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

A game is by definition something that requires active participation - it cannot be mindlessly consumed. It is also characterized by its inherent requirement of being decided by a variety of qualities - most of which can only be applied with a conscious effort from the player.

If you take the thinking out of the game you end up with a form of passive entertainment - very similar to watching television - you just stare at the colorful pictures while saliva runs from your open mouth. This simply cannot be the future audience for game developers - unless they want to drop their current job descriptions and move to Hollywood. (Oops... am I offending anyone? Sorry about that - I really didn't mean to!)

In their own self-interest, game developers - at the very least those that do their job out of convinced passion - will always have to cater to the conscious mind of the player to a degree, and it is only this degree that can be argued about. And for those out there convinced of the commercial non-viability of strategy and tactics in computer games - whatever genre - I can only suggest a trip down memory lane.

The scope in which this industry has moved on from Spacewar! cannot simply be summarized with "better graphics", it is a more or less steady increase of complexity, a far deeper involvement of the player - or better: the player's mind. Before this fact is forgotten and we concentrate on nothing but the latest shading technology, maybe we should remember the reasons for the console market crash of the 80's:

There were several reasons for the crash, but the main cause was oversaturation of the market with dozens of consoles and hundreds of mostly low-quality games. Hundreds of games were in development for the 1983 release alone, and this overproduction resulted in a saturated market without the consumer interest it needed.

Now I can almost literally hear you think "Wait a minute - this is dark stuff! Where is the passion this guy talked about earlier?!?" - well, here it comes:

While there will always be the market-researching due-diligence-performing wanna-please-everyone developers that churn out one "successful" average game title after another, there is also always a chance for the one guy to row against the stream, to do something different - revolutionary even - and end up surpassing all less adventurous competitors. This is how the great classics of computer gaming came into existence in the past, and this is how it will happen in the future.

Our favorite shooter originated from this mind set - it broke the rules left and right while storming up the hill to the halls of fame, without ever looking back. No one can take this game away from us now - it will always be there. I don't mind the aged graphics and all its other limitations - to me it is sheer excellence! And I am very glad to see that I am not the only one, that so many share this opinion.

If no developer has picked up on this sentiment yet, it is of course unfortunate for us not to have "our game" profit from more current technologies - but I have a feeling that it won't be long now before someone grabs this opportunity and makes a run for it. As a loyal fan I wished it would be the original makers, but if it is not to be, I would not mind moving on too much, as it is the spirit of the game I admire more than the name on the package.

If no developer has picked up on this sentiment, yet, it is of course unfortunate for us not to have "our game" profit from more current technologies - but I have a feeling that it won't be long now before someone grabs this opportunity and makes a run for it. As a loyal fan I wished it would be the original makers, but if it is not to be, I would not mind moving on too much, as it is the spirit of the game I admire more than the name on the package.

First of all, i think your thread is incredibly well written and you bring up a lot of good points.

That said, to begin my cliche'd role as counterpoint to all of your guys' GR babbling...

GRAW took the themes we all loved in ghost recon (smart tactics, teamwork, realistic military setting) and made them accessable to the masses. They made a VERY high quality action shooter that retained the thematic spirit of ghost recon.

Isn't that what a sequel should do? Take the original idea and grow it into something that is 'better' (if we quantify better as being enjoyed by more people?)

I definitely miss the classical tactical shooter. I still play [GR], i love armed assault, i play Hidden and Dangerous and thought long and hard about putting down money for an old copy of Seal Team.

But does our small niche market really have any entitlement to RSE/Ubisoft taking their game backwards just to please our bizarre tastes?

Well said. With RSE in the driving seat

Wow! That is promising news! I haven't really been following GR4 news - sorry to ask if it's been posted elsewhere, but has there been an announcement about the team behind the game?

BTW, most of you know this but I'll just mention RSE has never left the GR series - they've worked on every iteration of the series: [GR] PC/Xbox, GR2/SS Xbox and GRAW 1-2 Xbox (just the MP side of things).

:) it was a joke :)

Well, Davros, thanks for your efforts, but what do we need a petition on another web site for? Pretty much everyone concerned can be found right here at GR.net, and if the responsible parties are interested in our opinion, this is probably the first place they would look for it.

Dav

has there been an announcement about the team behind the game?

Well, officially, there has not even been an announcement about the game itself, let alone who's working on it.

But maybe someone would like to share inside information? :whistle:

Even if I had any, I couldn't share it. :wacko:

Sorry Sup, I don't know how, but I must have overlooked your post until now! :hmm:

Isn't that what a sequel should do? Take the original idea and grow it into something that is 'better' (if we quantify better as being enjoyed by more people?)

I agree with the former part of your statement, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the latter. Yes, in an ideal world, a sequel should be an improvement on the original (although, we all know that this is not always the case), but I have to object to the theory that mass approval alone equals quality - and quality is my sole measure of improvement.

But does our small niche market really have any entitlement to RSE/Ubisoft taking their game backwards just to please our bizarre tastes?

Backwards? Well, I guess it is a matter of perspective, but some may say that this is exactly what has happened until now. As for our bizarre taste - should wine connoisseurs be content with drinking sugared water? I previously theorized about the aspects of mass-approval in another thread - although under the discussion of economic aspects of modding tools in modern games, I think you can derive my reasoning in this regard from there.

Please do not misinterpret me - I do not want to disparage other games, I want to accentuate the qualities of one game, in an attempt to explain its right and reason to exist among all the others. Naturally, it could all be boiled down to taste, which will always be a matter of discussion - but I think everyone can agree that diversity is a good thing.

I have to object to the theory that mass approval alone equals quality

me 2 Sup - and while GRAW(2) were valiant attempts at sequels, they ceased to be sequels when they did away with non-linear maps, and added blue huds and pink diamonds.

as much as some ppl moan about GRAWs failings, I actually think they were so darn close to being worthy successors....but those fundamental changes I mentioned were just wrong...just not GR.

no diamonds, no hud, no linearity, no desert (for a while at least), and solid modding tools...and we will have our GR sequel...period.