GR:FS BETA thoughts from a Cod fan

K1NG D3ATH 812

Ok, i never played ghost recon before yesterday and i gotta say, i wish i had started with GR instead of Cod. its SOOO much more enjoyable. all the features, graphics, sounds just everything makes me enjoy it. Cod is fun but this actually feels like a serious objective based game. all they gotta do is fix a couple glitches(invisible gun on spawn -_-) and id say its about perfect

thoughts?

I've played Ghost Recon since the original, COD since COD2, and Battlefield since 1942 and own all of all three series with the exception of the latest COD which i refused to buy. I like them each for what they are. They are three totally different games that are meant to be played differently. Ghost recon was always the middle ground. Mid sized to large maps(with a couple of exceptions), cool guns, tactical gameplay without vehicles. A requirement on communication and achieving objectives as a squad.

GR is now moving their bar towards the COD side and alienating their CORE audience. It is a shame that they are doing this, they had already moved away from the original formula with the advanced warfighter formula and now they are going even further away. GR:AW(and 2) were a stretch for the core gamers of this series, but it brought a slightly larger audience and we all learned to adapt. This game however, is pushing the limits of what I want out of a game. I do not find the beta truly enjoyable and it is not whetting my appetite for the game. Every other GR game was a "must have" for me and most of my gaming friends. This one is already pushing some of them out of the GR fold. I would not play another game when i had a new ghost recon title in hand for at least a couple of months. With GRFS i can see myself just going back to play battlefield within days and playing this occasionally when i have a few friends that want to play.

I am not happy with this title, though I will most likely own it and hope that I can get past the changes and accept it for what it is and isn't. I wish they would just take the Ghost Recon off the title and start it as another franchise, "Call of War: FS" or "Gears of Duty: FS" or "CallBattleGears:FS". Its got elements of all of them, but is not defining itself as a true GR, so dont sell it as one.

Edited by oSea_shepherdo

Shepherdo you bring up some great points. We kind of all knew this was coming. Ubisoft wants to please the gamers but wants to please the shareholders even more. And how do you do that? By making a game that is a cross between Gears, COD, and Battlefield.: 3 of the most successful franchises in the industry. I'm kind of torn, I do like some elements of GRFS but I hate others. I am however looking forward to co-op and campaign or just playing with my core friends and relaxing. And to me that's worth every penny!

I am also a COD (or was), I have seen Battlefield 3, and I've played a bit of Gears of War; never once, though, have I played a Ghost Recon game (other than GR:FS).

I expected a really great game, but I didn't have any of the other GR games to compare it to, so I was pretty open to a different kind of shooter game. And I absoloutely love the beta for FS! The cover system is amazing, I love the gunsmith, and, having played COD: MW3 not twenty minutes ago (I was waiting for the FS server to go back up), I was just itching to get back to FS. I missed the shooting range, the cover system, and the third person perspective; so much that I only played two matches of MW3!

I am blown away by the beta for this game, and I cannot wait for the full game to come out!

(P.S. The only thing(s) I don't like about the beta is that it is very temperamental with the server working or not, and you can't do ANYTHING on there without the server. A sampler of the other game modes would be fantastic!)

(P.S. The only thing(s) I don't like about the beta is that it is very temperamental with the server working or not

Unfortunately that is the whole point in a beta. You either have some patience and play when you can, or leave it and wait the game release.

Shepherdo you bring up some great points. We kind of all knew this was coming. Ubisoft wants to please the gamers but wants to please the shareholders even more. And how do you do that? By making a game that is a cross between Gears, COD, and Battlefield.: 3 of the most successful franchises in the industry. I'm kind of torn, I do like some elements of GRFS but I hate others. I am however looking forward to co-op and campaign or just playing with my core friends and relaxing. And to me that's worth every penny!

Co-op and campaign are good, but adversarial multiplayer is what GR has always been about to me. Come Borderlands 2 I will have all the co-op fun I can imagine(i am probably going to by that for both my 360 and my ps3). Most of my core GR buddies are not getting FS because they hate what it has become and that hurts co-op and vs. multiplayer for me. I am still torn though. I want to see the silver lining, but the cloud is just so darn big.

Ok, i never played ghost recon before yesterday and i gotta say, i wish i had started with GR instead of Cod. its SOOO much more enjoyable. all the features, graphics, sounds just everything makes me enjoy it. Cod is fun but this actually feels like a serious objective based game. all they gotta do is fix a couple glitches(invisible gun on spawn -_-) and id say its about perfect

thoughts?

If you played the past GR games you would be disappointed with GRFS; this game is more COD/GOW than GR, a big let down by Ubi.

Pick up GRAW 2 at Gamestop; they sell it for $5.99 in the bargain bin and a great game to play.

Edited by ArmyRanger6

What would make this game more tolerable for me would be to 1. turn off regenerative health 2. one hit one kill. 3. tone down intel. 4. offer last man standing. 5. even out the firepower. JUST GIVE US OPTIONS ON HOW WE WANT TO PLAY THE GAME.

Edited by ITI SERPICO IVI

I played Ghost Recon when it launched on Xbox LIVE (When Xbox LIVE launced back in 2002, I think) I loved GR and GRIT

Our clan played regularly almost every evening, and we had clan matches a couple of nights a weeks. With each release of GR after Ghost Recon Island Thunder (GRIT)

Ubisoft has continued to water down the original Tom Clancy Ghost Recon formula, to where it is now unrecognizable in most respects to what I loved in a game.

I'd love Ubisoft to do an HD remake with a new engine of the original GR and GRIT.

This game does push teamwork, but the game mechanics of it being in 3rd person, being able to look around a corner and seeing fully around it without exposing any part of your body...? And other issues.

When we played GR back in the day it was Team Siege with no respawns, and it was slow and methodical. I wish they would have an option for Team Siege in this new title, with no respawns, and force a First Person view, with lean and peak...

I can't believe the day has arrived where I won't be eagerly anticipating a Ghost Recon release, and even preordering it. Sad days. I hope reviews and further play of the demo/beta change my mind... but I doubt it.

-OS Perry

Old School Clan

I played Ghost Recon when it launched on Xbox LIVE (When Xbox LIVE launced back in 2002, I think) I loved GR and GRIT

Our clan played regularly almost every evening, and we had clan matches a couple of nights a weeks. With each release of GR after Ghost Recon Island Thunder (GRIT)

Ubisoft has continued to water down the original Tom Clancy Ghost Recon formula, to where it is now unrecognizable in most respects to what I loved in a game.

I'd love Ubisoft to do an HD remake with a new engine of the original GR and GRIT.

This game does push teamwork, but the game mechanics of it being in 3rd person, being able to look around a corner and seeing fully around it without exposing any part of your body...? And other issues.

When we played GR back in the day it was Team Siege with no respawns, and it was slow and methodical. I wish they would have an option for Team Siege in this new title, with no respawns, and force a First Person view, with lean and peak...

I can't believe the day has arrived where I won't be eagerly anticipating a Ghost Recon release, and even preordering it. Sad days. I hope reviews and further play of the demo/beta change my mind... but I doubt it.

-OS Perry

Old School Clan

I agree 100% Perry. You may even remember me from GR:IT. I used to play with your clan a lot. Those were good times. In fact, you guys were some of the first friends I made on Xbox Live. I was kinda hoping to reconnect with some of my old friends on GR:FS, but clearly I won't be since I just can't stand the game. lol

Edited by Lenney

-OS Perry

Old School Clan

This is what boggles my mind. The core support for this franchise are all players that have this memory. But UBI goes and has them build another COD wanna be. Why..oh why does this need to happen? There's too many run/gun shooters out there. Can't they stay true to the title history. Big maps, tactical, slow paced. They dont seem to understand there's a horde of folks out there that still crave this gameplay.

The telltale sign in all of this was that they release the beta with conflict and sabotage (two cod game mode ripoffs). Why? Of course to lure in the ADD generation of cod players and push to that market.

I've said endless times...take OGR and just update it graphically, mechanically etc. Leave the core game intact and add something like gunsmith to it and millions would be ecstatic! Same goes for a game like sniper elite. That first version on original xbox was stellar. The MP was perfect. What happened with that title? The idiot developers went and took out all advesarial MP in that game. Now it's junk! Developers forget IF IT AIN"T BROKE DONT FIX IT! Everyone wants a greedy piece of the COD pie unfortunately.

I thought this guy over on the ubisoft fourms summed it up well with this...

List your reasons for NOT preordering/buying GRFS. DO NOT post if you are planning to buy the game. ONLY list your reasons for not getting the game. THOSE ARE the rules for this topic. If you wish to state reasons why you WILL be buying the game, then please make another topic. This topic is only for reasons why YOU will not be getting GRFS. (Moderators.....please help keep this topic clean and on topic)

My list of reasons for not pre-ordering/buying GRFS:

1. No more LMS(last man standing). Mandatory respawns. As a host, I require the ability to enable/disable respawns for clan practices/matches.

2. No gametype editor. Not a major issue, but being able to alter gametypes goes a very long way towards long term playability.

3. Cloak is mandatory. As a host I require that there be an option to disable this feature from being used in a clan practice/match.

4. Unable to disable regenerating health as host. As a host I require that bullet/frag damage stay on the player. Regenerating health means a player can run and hide, thus regenerating their health back to maximum. That is unacceptable as a host of Clan practice/matches.

5. Not being able to enable/disable specific weapons/equipment as a host of a room. As a host, I require the ability to restrict the use of explosives, and any type of launchers. Our clan practices/matches with bullets only, no booms. That is our way.

6. Not being able to restrict use of drones as a host of a room. I require the ability to disable the UAV and any such method of player detection for use in Clan practices/mathces.

7. This ties into all the above....... As host of a room, I require the ability, as in previous Ghost Recon's, to configure match parameters. I require this in order to host Clan practices/matches. Weapons allowed, spawns or no spawns, HUD, UAV, explosives, cloaking, game time, etc.

8. Not being able to enable/disable radar/minimap for a room I am hosting. As a host, I require the ability to disable any form of player detection so as to increase the difficulty of a match. I play competitive matches. I require the ability as a host to restrict such forms of player detection. Line of sight, and other team mates identifying targets visually is all we require.

9. Not being able to change the rate of fire of my weapon in a match. Having to change out an entire trigger in order to change my rate of fire, outside of a match, is unacceptable. It has been an option since the very FIRST Ghost Recon, and has remained an option through GRAW 2. I require the ability to change my rate of fire on weapons that have selectable fire modes on the fly. Soldiers of today have this ability, why don't soldiers of the future have this ability as well?

10. My final reason is that Redstorm's name is tied to this game, and I am having to list the above 9 reasons why I will not be buying Ghost Recon. Redstorm has done well on all previous Ghost Recon's with giving us players the options and tools to model and configure our private matches to suit our play styles. Now we either play Ubi/Redstorm's way or not play at all. That is not good game development. That is purely ego driven. As as company, it is poor marketing as it will alienate a large majority of the entire Ghost Recon fan base. The players who have been around for YEARS and have continued to support the series are being kicked to the curb with all these mandatory features. All we really ask for is OPTIONS!!!! We've asked for them for years. Go back and read my prior posts/topics. I've talked about it numerous times on these forums. Now, Ubi/Redstorm decides to remove those options. I am not alone on this. Lots and lots of players want options.

If you want my money, and the money of my other clan members, then we require options as private match hosts to configure our matches as we see fit. It's not a lot to ask for. The options have been in place since the beginning of the Ghost Recon series. There is no good reason why they shouldn't be in GRFS.

If/when I see details that these options will be patched into the game after release, I will then spend 60 dollars and purchase the game. I will also then encourage all my clan members to do the same. If not, well then this will be the first GR that I refuse to buy. I've bought them all since the first GR.