Sounds

Hi All:

I was wondering if anybody has come across this problem...When joining a multiplayer game, you get some wierd sounds in Ghost Recon. In particular, when you switch weapons, I hear a man dying (death screams) instead of the normal velcro-type sound. The person hosting the game doesn't hear it, just people who have joined the game.

I have deleted the sound folders for the MP1, MP2 and Origmiss add-ons and reinstalled the original sound folders from the CD, but ot no avail...

• 2 weeks later...

Sry to see no replies. Thinking about it, the only time I have seen this issue is with certain mods that conflict in the ghost recon directory.

If Mod x and Mod y both have the same sound file name listed in both effects.xml, this will cause random sounds in game. Or maybe Mod x has overwritten a original sound, but still added it to the effect.xml.

Yep, what Tinker said (as usual). :)

The number of all entries in all effects.xml combined needs to be equal to the number of different sound effect files and equal to the sum of <Count> entries in all effects.xml files combined. Sounds complicated, right? Well, maybe that's the reason not even Red Storm got the numbers right, because they actually don't quite add up for GR, DS, and IT combined.

Anyhow, while this was never fixed in the original XML files it looks like the game updates/patches took care of the problem for the original game and expansions, so as long as you keep the count correct for any active mods you should be allright.