CoD 6: MW2 -Setting sales records

Pave Low

I bought it the day it released. If you are a fan of the COD series you will be fine with it. The match making works extremely well and you and friends can play on the same team as well. The system requirements didnt change but they are using a different way of making the graphics so things look pretty cool and alot of new effects as well. Worth the purchase on my end. Add me up on steam [121]CRASH|CDR

How does that enormous figure compare to a films takings on the first 5 days? Anyone?

I was thinking the same thing the other day since the new moon movie was coming out which was a widely anticipated movie. They said on the radio this morning that the movie made over $14 million this weekend and that it broke records sales wise so that is like 2-3 days.

I started thinking though that it's hard to compare the two figures since one costs $60 and the other is $9, but then again one purchase of the game provides entertainment for the whole house whereas you have to buy everyone a movie ticket.

The more I thought about the comparison it always boiled down to an image of the infinity ward's big wigs lighting stogies with $100 bills and wearing some bling around their necks as they got into their Bugatti's.

I'm waiting till the price drops in the $20's since I'm mostly a SP player. <_<

just watching MUDDMAN87's MW2 channel to watch the gameplay

You and me both. I waited until about three months ago to buy CoD4. SP is fun and all, but there's very little replayability, and the "run as fast as you can, bunny hop, and shoot the sh!t out of everything that moves" MP isn't for me.

Call of Duty franchise passes $3 billion

Stellar sales of Modern Warfare 2 have helped Activision to nudge its Call of Duty franchise through the USD 3 billion revenues mark, the publisher has announced.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/call...es-USD3-billion

Another link. They're making tons of money on this.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/105/1050092p1.html

• 1 month later...

Well I'm sure by now you've all yeard that MW2 has made $1 billion. What's more interesting is expressed in this article at Ars Technica

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01...n-warfare-2.ars

Here are some select quotes from the article:

What we (and Activision) learned from Modern Warfare 2

Price matters

[...]While PC versions of games are usually only $50, Activision went ahead and charged $60. Why? Because people will pay it.

PC gaming doesn't matter

The launch of the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 was met with disdain, boycott groups, and petitions. The angst was mostly due to the lack of support for dedicated servers, a fact that has done much to harm the community around the game and limit its reach as a title used in competitive circles.

But who cares? The majority of gamers will experience the game on consoles, and PC gamers don't need things like a console for tweaking the game or support for mods. Infinity Ward and Activision locked down the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 to make sure it was played how and when they want. New content is coming for the game, buts let's hope that the Microsoft exclusivity doesn't extend to the PC. It's bad enough that Modern Warfare 2 snubbed the modding community completely—although not before taking all its best ideas—but making PC gamers wait for the only add-on content available until Microsoft decides it's OK for Activision to sell it to you is the worst kind of middle finger.

You can shove the gaming press around

[...] etc

So, how many of you have bought this or not? I am particularly interested if anyone is having a good MP experience on the PC?

For the record, I will be buying the PC version of this game but probably in a couple months for two main reasons: no time to play now, waiting for the game to be patched a bit more. Mainly buying it for SP.

I am not hopeful it will come down in price or be in the bargain bin anytime soon.

I got lucky enough to take advantage of BestBuy's misprint on PC price ($29)....I didn't buy it from them, I just took the BB's ad to Walmart, for them to price match it.

Sure enough, walked out of Walmart with a $29 MW2 (PC) :thumbsup:

Just echoing everyone's opinion on SP....not worth $60.

I don't play MP, but the Spec-Ops are (SP-part) was interesting....I like that Bridge Mission...ripped off Mission Impossible 3 with bridge scene

For the record, I will be buying the PC version of this game but probably in a couple months for two main reasons: no time to play now, waiting for the game to be patched a bit more. Mainly buying it for SP.

I am not hopeful it will come down in price or be in the bargain bin anytime soon.

I played COD every Friday on the Sparta servers for ages, then MW came out and I got that and played it.

I never bought MW2 because I couldn't see how the new stuff (perks :wacko: ) was good enough to compensate for what they took away from PC gamers. I hate backward steps in gaming, much like these quarter of a million gamers who felt the same, except most of them probably bought it regardless.

Plus, Batman Arkham Asylum is just so good anyway, who needs another game right now :rofl:

I played COD every Friday on the Sparta servers for ages, then MW came out and I got that and played it.

Playing CoD4:MW with Rocky and the folks on the Legion of Sparta server will always be fondly remembered as one of my PC gaming highlights back in '08. :thumbsup:

The slower paced (i.e. no running) and tactical approach encouraged on that CoD4 server is really the closest I've ever envisioned to what a true successor to GR1 PC MP gaming would be like, even more so than the GRAW PC games.

Anyways, I will be sure to post whenever I pick up MW2. I do want to check it out sometime later this year but it is low on the priority list at this point.

I bought the game on the console, but I also would have snatched it up on the PC as well if it had the dedicated servers. There are so many times when I'm on a horrible team which means we're constantly getting hit by the Ac-130, chopper gunner, and all other forms of air support and I'll think back to the Sparta server and how nice it was to play bare bones mano a mano style.

Playing on the console can be fun since that's who the game was after anyways, but I do miss being able to play on specific dedicated servers. On COD4 on the PC I could play on servers that had specific map rotations so I knew I'd enjoy playing. When a map comes up that I hate on MW2 I have to beg the group to skip it or I just drop out.

this is exactly how i feel about MW2 on the pc. in the beginning everything was fun but now i really start to mis the hours i spend searching for a nice server with a setup and people i liked.

the killstreaks are fun at first, but after a while it gets pretty annoying when all you can do is hide inside somewhere waiting for all the lvl70+ guys and girls are finished slaughtering us casual gamers.

perhaps with all the attention DICE is getting for using dedicated servers for their game, they (IW) will change their mind. what could happen? maybe earn some more millions???

but i do have to say, when you get to play with some guys who are of a similar level and mindset the whole experience changes and it becomes a great game. also i found S&D to be a nice change of pace from TD and FFA.

has anyone here tried the 3rd person games? Is it fun?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been casually playing through CoD4/MW1 on Hardened over the past few weeks and finished it last night. Forgot about the Mile High Club at the end and that was a treat.

I originally played it back in '08 and now I'm playing it with a GTX 8800/27" with all the graphics maxed out. The flow of the story, scripting, set pieces and visuals are even more stunning than when I originally played it.

So I was going to wait a little longer but ... ran out and got MW2 PC tonight :P I received a $30 Best Buy giftcard at Christmas and it's just been sitting in my wallet so I put it to use ...

Wow, the game installs from 2 DVDs. (Looks like Blu-Ray would come in handy here - I wonder if the 360 version also needs 2 discs?) Also had to install Steam on my fresh install of Win7 64-bit. Haven't used Steam since playing the HL2 demo years ago and had to make a new account. Relatively painless so far ...

So ... first impressions:

- It was kinda nice not to need the MW2 disc in the drive after entering in the CD-key and authenticating. No whirring disc noise so the less noise from the PC the better.

- Does Steam provide auto-patching? Forgot to patch the game before starting to play ...

- Once again the graphics in this game look incredible - from character and weapon models, to the environments and textures.

- However, my biggest impression after the first evening of playing was did they replace the story/script writer from the previous game? I mean, all games involve a suspension of disbelief, but (without giving too much of the plot away to those who still plan to play the game) I found the this story was pretty weak and leaning towards a poor sci-fi B-movie.

- I guess most people here have heard about the controvertial "offensive" level in the game so I'll talk about it here. After playing through it I feel that Infinity Ward's decision to actually design and then include it in the game was a disappointing and distasteful one.

Story-wise, the level is "important" as it sets up the motivation of the Russian ultra-nationalists to do what they do next, but I'm sure they could have come up with something much better. Furthermore, it's hard to believe an private in the U.S. Army can infiltrate a Russian terrorist cell just because he has some Russian mafia tattoos.

Lastly, you could have put an end to the heinous act of slaughtering innocents by just shooting the few terrorists (after all, you've already capped hundreds of Russian tangos in the previous game), but the game doesn't allow you to do that. And you'd think the terrorists would know something is wrong with you if you refuse to shoot civilians. Makes no sense at all.

Perhaps they assume gamers are numb and morally oblivious to taking out innocent civilians and cops after games like Grand Theft Auto are so popular and selling millions. Sad to see game design has dropped to this level and that millions of people are still lapping it up.

Anyways, I bought the game for Cdn$60 yesterday usingthe $30 gift card, and the game went on sale at Best Buy for $50 today so I will get $10 price adjustment. I'm glad I didn't have to lay out more than $20 for this.

OK, my opinion is officially flip-flopping on this game. I haven't touched the single player campaign since the first day I installed the game, and any gaming time since has all been spent on MW2 multiplayer. If you put aside all your expectations of anything slow-placed and tactical, and play like Counter-Strike/Halo etc, it's actually been quite a blast.

I'll be the first one to tell you I'm not very good at MP gaming but so far it haven't had too much of the negative stuff I was expecting (i.e. being constantly fragged by Lv 70 players) I've only been playing Team DM so far and haven't had much problem finding decent games. If there are guys rampantly cheating/hacking I can't tell so far.

The 16 MP maps are jaw-droppingly gorgeous and seem reasonably well balanced. The host-migration thing seems to work pretty well. All the levelling up, achievements and unlocking stuff is pretty gimmicky but I guess that's how things are these days.

There is a feature for "private matches" - I wonder if any clans have actually got this to work.

Swartz mentioned 3rd person mode - not sure how you can access this but it would be interesting to try.

So it seems Infinity Ward has managed to pull together some of the best aspects of games like Counter-Strike and BF2 (not to mention previous CoD games) - I wonder how much MW2 is eating into Valve and Dice's market-share of gamers these days.

I got the game from a friend who waited too long for delivery and got a 2nd copy off.

I do like the game for fun games, but there is absolutely no use for tactics, and finding games with friends (when ther are more than 4-5 online) is horrible....

If the next version of this game will be the same I doubt the boycot to stop at 300.000 they won't be that lucky again. Hopefully bad company 2 (haven't played its predecessors) or even gr4 fill up the huge gap. I even started playing GRAW again during the holiday season....

Arma 2 is fun too but I need a whole night to be able to play it in the good way and those nights are scarce now....

but MW2 did a good job ripping the MP community apart I rmemember week nights with 15+ of BPR online, and now 4-5 max with fri-nights 10 of which half on COD and half on Sparta playing Arma.... no good times I say....

• 2 weeks later...

Swartz mentioned 3rd person mode - not sure how you can access this but it would be interesting to try.

it becomes available to you at later levels, not sure which one exactly. i tried it myself last night and had a lot of fun playing the 3rd person cage matches (1 on 1). just be aware of people wanting to boost their scores.